PDA

View Full Version : downriggers???

Kokehead
06-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Personally I've got a scotty manual, a cannon manual and a penn manual. The one that I've like the most thus far is the cannon. The question is, wich downriggers do you all like and use:confused:

Petty4life
06-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I use whatever is in whoever's boat im fishing out of. LOL

Fishman
06-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I have two cannon uni-troll 10's on swivel bases. Electric Mag 10's are on my list of things to get. That and about 100 more lures. Oh ya, more rods and reels too

JIGGIT
06-06-2008, 11:50 PM
my boat came with cannons. i liked some a freind had i fished with better. i have 2 big jon captains pack electrics now. still have not got them all the way mounted. they come with swivle bases. but they have to be bolted to pedistal bases. i dont want to have to go threw that crap when i use them. so ive taken the brackets from cannons and building addaptors so i can put them in and out in a snap. not get them stolen. they run 500 each. unless you get the annidized to match boat color. extra 150 or so. anyone know a macheinist? thats what i need to get them on. :confused:

TheFireman
06-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I use cannon mag 10's. Simple to use and have never had any trouble with them. The only drawback might be the speed on the older ones, but I put a new mag 10 high speed on this year and it is as fast as any of the others. I've used cannons the most so I can't really comment on the other brands, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on this subject.

Trophy Taker
06-07-2008, 12:47 AM
I also run Cannon Mag 10's and like them alot. That being said I don't care for the tips as they are made out of hardened plastic. I took another guy with me to the Gorge two years ago and he decided to use the electric toggle to "tighten" the ball when it was attached to the storage hook, this caused tremendous pressure on the plastic tip and ultimately caused it to crack. I have since replaced them then drilled them out and installed a carriage bolt from the tip inward so the bolt is hidden in the tube.

Stryker
06-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Big Jon Speed Riggers for me. I like the workmanship that goes into them.

Propnut69
06-07-2008, 11:48 AM
My first downrigger was a Scotty manual,that thing was a pita as it took two hands to operate. Then graduated up to canon manuals. used them for a little while,then bought a used pair of electric Cannon mini-mags.I put many hours on them ,with only having to replace the switches and breakers. This year I bought a pair of Cannon mag-5's , put them on swivel bases. They have to be the easiest downrigger I have ever used. I love the high speed retrieve. I also like the auto-stop,that is so cool. Last week I had a chance to fish with sockeyeslayer,and used one of his Scotty electrics. It was a very easy unit to operate,and would be one that I would give look at,if I was in the market for another downrigger.

JIGGIT
06-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Another Great Thing About Big Jon,s Is They Have Zero Plastic Or Composits. All Stainless And Painted Steel. As Well As Extendable Booms Out To 5 Ft. Booms Have A Tilt Mech. Just Grab Boom Lift And Cable Is Right Next To Boat. No Leaning Over To Grab A Cable Or Release. I Have A 16 Ft Smoker So The Extendable Booms Put Lines Apart Like A Bigger Boat.

KokaneeReaper77
06-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I have two cannon DR that I like allot they are manual I wish they where electric the ball is heavy at ten pounds

Kokaholic
06-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I have Scotty Electric's. They are the Bomb! If they can stand up to the abuse that Petty has given them, they will stand up to anything!gunfighter

Petty4life
06-07-2008, 08:06 PM
i dont abuse them i just finally showed you how to use them rightgunfighter

Propnut69
06-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I have two cannon DR that I like allot they are manual I wish they where electric the ball is heavy at ten pounds

Your right that damn weight does get heavy,after you have had to crank it up a bunch of times.

AFDan52
06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
I have a Cannon Easy troll manual and a Scotty manual. I like both of them. I have upgraded to Scotty 1099 electrics. Love them.

BigBow81
06-13-2008, 11:43 AM
We run 2 Cannon Minimag's along with 2 cannon super minimags. We have ran Big Jon's and cannon's all our lifes. I don't care much for the big jons. But we have never had any problems with the cannons' even the four or five manual's we have had through the years. Cannon or bust!

Casey

SockeyeSlayer
06-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I have (2) Digi-troll IV's which are Cannon's best....They have been great unit's with nothing but reliability, I also have (2) Scotty 1106 electric's mid-ship They are simple to use and for the Money I don't think that they can be beat!! I have put an incredible amount of hours on the unit's and they never seem to skip a beat!!
Good Luck in your search
Jared/SockeyeSlayer/RMT

Lundman
06-13-2008, 06:53 PM
I have the Scotty's Pro-packs also -- I didn't want to drill any holes in my Lund so I ended up building boxes and mounting them where the rear seats would be located. When I am not using the downriggers I have rod holder I put on in place and they work well. I'll try to attached a pic of what I'm trying to describe.

When we ski or have family boat rides - rear seats are used
When we troller for walleye - quick-draw rod holder in place.
When we troll for kokanee - downriggers.

Petty4life
06-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I have the Scotty's Pro-packs also -- I didn't want to drill any holes in my Lund so I ended up building boxes and mounting them where the rear seats would be located. When I am not using the downriggers I have rod holder I put on in place and they work well. I'll try to attached a pic of what I'm trying to describe.

When we ski or have family boat rides - rear seats are used
When we troller for walleye - quick-draw rod holder in place.
When we troll for kokanee - downriggers.

thats kind of a different setup but if it works for you more power to ya...

Digi-Troller
06-14-2008, 01:25 AM
We started out using a couple of Cannon manuals and loved them. They were great and very reliable. I traded them away, but I'm sure they continue to serve their purpose. We moved up to mini mags because we were tired of cranking up from deep koke fishing. For the last couple of years we have been running DT IV's and love them.

BigBow81
06-17-2008, 11:47 AM
finally got out last weekend and tried the 4 mini mag set up. All i can say is sweet!!!! We have only used 3 in the passed but finally mounted all four on the new boat. I don't think we will ever go back. There is just something about having four downriggers on the boat!!!!

Lundman
06-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Just was wondering how many rods do you run per downrigger?

I stack two rods per downrigger and run them 10 feet apart. I put the lower line out further than the upper one and get tangled a very few times and usually I can fish 4 poles on two downrigger with no problem. I'll drop both down -- one rigger with the top lure in the zone and the bottom one 10 feet below that and the other rigger with the bottom lure in the zone and the top lure 10 feet above.

I can see running one rod per downrigger would give you a little more flexiblity with depth control and re-setting would only involve one rod instead of two but usually the fish are running near the same depth - tell us why 4 is better than 3 or 2. What is the reward and why is it sweet???

maghunter
06-17-2008, 04:11 PM
I am new to trolling, just got a boat last fall and trolled for kokanee for the first time this spring and I have yet to buy a downrigger. My wife keeps me on a tight budget and I was thinking about getting the Canon mini troll to hold me off until I can afford a real nice one. Does anybody know if this think works or should I just hold off and safe my money and get a bigger one? Also how far back off the releases do you go? I talked to a clerk at sportsmans and he said only about 10 ft or so. Wouldn't the motor noise scare the fish off? And which releases are the best for Kokanee? Sorry I've got so many questions, and thanks for any tips...

TheFireman
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Maghunter, An inexpesive one is better than none, especially later on in the year when the kokes move deeper. You could use lead core but that is only good to about 40 feet, and you would have to let out a mile of line. So if that is all you could afford for now I would get it. You could always use it as a spare or sell it when you can get new ones. As far as set back behind the ball it depends. The deeper you go the shorter the setback. When the fish are still shallow it is not uncommon for me to run 100 feet back sometimes more. The release that I like the most is the little yellow ones made by offshore. The little releases from Scotty are also good as long as you don't put your line all the way to the back. Haven't used many others so can't comment on them. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. There are a lot of knowledgable people here that will answer your questions.

Propnut69
06-17-2008, 09:12 PM
The fireman ,brings some some good points. any downrigger is better then no downrigger. If you are like most of us,you will start out small then graduate up to bigger and better downriggers over time. As for releases,this year I have been experimenting with the three way adjustable releases from Sep's . So far so good,they are a little to stiff to open when new,but I expect that this will change over time. The light action releases from off-shore are a good release also.

Lundman
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
As for releases,this year I have been experimenting with the three way adjustable releases from Sep's . So far so good,they are a little to stiff to open when new,but I expect that this will change over time. The light action releases from off-shore are a good release also.

I know the topic probably needs a new thread but let's discuss releases.

I have tried quite a few and I have continuely come back to the rubberband. I let my lure out to a where I am fishing - put the half-hitch with the rubberband on the line and just CRAM it into any release as far back as it will go. The rubberband acts as a shock adsorber - relays the bite to the pole - and releases at the same point "Everytime" know matter what. When a bigger or stronger fish hits it pops out just like releases are supposed to and I can buy a bag of 1000 for $3.

The Rubberband RULES in my book. thumbsup

Petty4life
06-23-2008, 06:05 PM
i used to use the rubber bands, i never liked them. hard to get them to break

Kokaholic
06-23-2008, 07:00 PM
I like the small yellow Offshore releases. And As far as a downrigger, By the best you can afford. Wally and Time said it best. Any rigger is better than know rigger

Digi-Troller
06-23-2008, 07:41 PM
In years past I've used the offshore medium releases, but this year I upgraded to Koke Special Lamiglas rods, Shimano Cardiffs, and the mediums no longer worked. I switched to the yellow (light) releases, and what a difference. I can't believe I ever fished without them! We are getting clean releases, and losing very few fish. The combination of light releases, ultra light rods, and smooth light drags is really putting kokes in the boat. Its amazing what using the right equipment can do for your success rates! We caught plenty of kokes in years past, but I'll never go back!

TBtoad
07-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I purchased two canon mag tens about two years ago to go along with my two penn electric's. I have no complaints about the downriggers themselves. I had nothing but trouble with the plastic swivel bases. Last month I had to replace them for the third time. They would develop cracks near the lever you pull to release them to a new position. last year at the Gorge one broke and I had to tie a rope on to the boom to keep it in position.
I got real unhappy with cannon. When you called the shop to get them replaced they acted like I was the only one who ever had a problem.
They finally agreed to replace them with the stainless steel swivel bases for the difference in price of the plastic ones. I haven't had a problem with new bases. My penn's are 10 yrs old and I haven't had one problem with them. The only addvantage in the cannon is the speed going up and down. This could be one of the problems with the plastic bases. There is a lot of torque put on the booms when the ball stops when its going so fast.
In the beging I heard the plastic was not properly prepared for the bases when they were poured. If that was the case you would think they would have fixed the process.
I couldn't find new penns when I was looking for new downriggers. I whish I had done a little more research before I bought cannons. If I had it to do over again would get the scotty eletrics.
Thanks
TBtoad

sawdustsavage
07-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Sounds good to me. Think I will have to try it. Simple rules in my book.

Mark McWillis
07-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I have 4 Scotty 1106's and love them.

redmanjr1
07-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I have two Scotty manual DR's. They are the only ones I've owned or used and like them just fine. This past weekend was the first time out with them and had a blast. On releases I use the Scotty mini's. They also seem to work just fine.

trollmonkey
07-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I've got two PENN 620 manual riggers that have been workhorses.For releases I use the Scotty minis.Not sure I'll bite the bullit for electrics,even when my PENNs die.The price of one electric would pay for several trips.

Bduck
07-06-2010, 08:27 AM
I run 2 Walker electrics and I stack. I have 2 Scotty manuels I bought over 20yrs ago. They served their purpose and loved them. After all the handcranking from deep water fishing with a few premature releases also, the electrics is the only way to go. I never looked back. Also like the yellow offshore releases. Keep plenty of replacement pads for them.

Lunddude
06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
I run 2 Walker electrics and I stack. I have 2 Scotty manuels I bought over 20yrs ago. They served their purpose and loved them. After all the handcranking from deep water fishing with a few premature releases also, the electrics is the only way to go. I never looked back. Also like the yellow offshore releases. Keep plenty of replacement pads for them.

I mounted two Walker Kokanee models (3' booms) on my 2007 Lund Alaskan 1800SS & could not be happier with them. I really like the compact size of the Walkers & the fact that they have the auto stop feature. I'm able to power down with complete control & never worry about my line getting stripped out of the release. Walkers are all gear driven meaning no belts to break on you. Plaine & simple the Walkers for the money are the probably one of the best downriggers on the market. If you don't believe me look into what most of the charter boats are using that fish the Great Lakes.

Bduck
06-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Whats also available is upgrades from the short arm. I originally bought the short arm on the tournament series and upgraded those with the long arm and auto weight retrieval and still has an auto stop. Preventative maintenance as with any thing else will last for years to come. thumbsup

Lund troller
06-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm thinking about getting electric downriggers most likely Scotty. Do I need to have a seperate battery for them?

bertschb
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
...Do I need to have a seperate battery for them?

I have two Cannon Digi-Troll 5 electric downriggers and run them both off my one battery. No problems at all.

bob r
06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Using the canoe with an outboard we use a cannon mini-troll we are able to stack with it, generally use a 6 lb. ball as we don't usually go deeper then 40 ft., also have a penn manual that I use on larger boats, the mini troll with ball and setup( rod holder attached to mini troll) will cost about $100.Releases, I like the cannon release with the dial, it's easy to get the same tension every time.It's been said, a small manual is better then no downrigger at all. bob R

spearfisher
06-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Maghunter, An inexpesive one is better than none, especially later on in the year when the kokes move deeper. You could use lead core but that is only good to about 40 feet, and you would have to let out a mile of line. So if that is all you could afford for now I would get it. You could always use it as a spare or sell it when you can get new ones. As far as set back behind the ball it depends. The deeper you go the shorter the setback. When the fish are still shallow it is not uncommon for me to run 100 feet back sometimes more. The release that I like the most is the little yellow ones made by offshore. The little releases from Scotty are also good as long as you don't put your line all the way to the back. Haven't used many others so can't comment on them. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. There are a lot of knowledgable people here that will answer your questions.
Hello ... anyone know something about how to mount a downrigger to the squre railing of a pontoon boat. any help on this greatly appreciated.

Propnut69
06-27-2012, 09:24 PM
post some pics of where you want to mount your riggers at,and maybe someone will have a good idea.

autorick
06-27-2012, 09:36 PM
I run mag 10's and are a simple to use, i haven't had any problems with them and the are used and abused. Big jons are great too IMO. I like the Scotty releases because they seem to not mar up the line when the line releases.

MTmountainman
06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I have been running a Big Jon Gadabout this year on my small boat and it is a great piece of equipment. I run a 10# ball and have messed around with a Chamberlain stacker, Off Shore yellow release and a Band Buster release. All of the releases have their place, the trick is knowing when and how to use the proper one.

Lund troller
06-29-2012, 01:24 AM
I have two Cannon Digi-Troll 5 electric downriggers and run them both off my one battery. No problems at all.
hey thanks for the info. Do you have to charge your battery every night when you come in or does your kicker do it for you? I have a 8hp yamaha that puts out a small charge when trolling. I also have a 115hp yamaha.But only use it for blasting back to where i want to troll from.

Lunddude
06-29-2012, 01:46 AM
hey thanks for the info. Do you have to charge your battery every night when you come in or does your kicker do it for you? I have a 8hp yamaha that puts out a small charge when trolling. I also have a 115hp yamaha.But only use it for blasting back to where i want to troll from.

I have my Walkers wired into my cranking battery that way I can put a charge to them while out fishing if they start to run down. If your fishing deep with your downriggers and using them a lot and you don't have them wired into your cranking battery you will need to charge that stand alone battery at the end of the day. My cranking battery is in the back of my boat so I have really short leads from my downriggers to my battery. Just be carefull and start up your big motor every once in a while to charge that canking battery up or you may find yourself stranded out on the lake with a cranking battery that's to low to turn your big motor over.

Lund troller
06-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey thanks for the info. I do have a 27 group battery that is connected to my main battery that I am going to hook my downriggers to. Getting ready to load up and head to Odell for a week. thanks again, will give a report when I get back

bertschb
07-01-2012, 10:01 AM

I don't charge it during the summer. I have an 8HP Honda kicker that charges it while I'm trolling. I use a Battery Tender during the winter.

platypus
08-09-2012, 10:17 AM
--I use scotty electrics... extended arm give good spread.
--I wouldn't have a problem with manual if a guest on the boat to crank it but electric great when fishing alone or when fishing deeper water