PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa 6/10/10

DC18FT
06-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Had not fished Berryessa since August of '06 and since I had the day off my Dad, we decided it was time for a reunion with a old friend!!!!

Day started off rough... Got to my Dad's house, loaded up the boat and discovered I had forgotten my license....went back to my house(10 min away), grabbed my license, drove back and finished loading the boat.

Got on the road around 6:20. Hammered down I-80, took the Hwy 113 exit and then proceeded to miss our next exit !!!!

Finally arrived at Markley around 8:00. Payed our fee, launched and headed straight for the Big Island.

At 8:30, we dropped our lines on the east side of the BI right in front of the floating porta pottie. Within the first 15 minutes, my Dad and I managed to lose 4 fish. Finally landed the 5th fish that decided to visit
For the next 4 hours, we stayed within sight of the porta pottie and managed limits of fat kokes. Lost at least 8-10 fish throughout the day. Also had numerous drivebys and short strikes. Very steady action.

Odd observations from today:

1. ALL fish that made it to the boat, along with ALL the lost fish and ALL the short strikes came of a pink RGT with a short 6" leader. I trolled another rod with various other setups/ dodgers for 3 hours or so and they did not even get sniffed!!! Once I swapped it out for a pink RGT, it got a few hits.

2. 90% of the time when trolling for landlocked salmon(kings,cohos, kokes) my Dad and I use straight silver dodgers either hammered or with some reflective tape on it. Started this trend a couple years back when we talked to a very successful fisherman at New Melones who swore that was all he fished. Today, by chance, my Dad grabbed a SEP's Wonderbread dodger. This dodger paired with a pink RGT accounted for almost all our action today!!!

Weather was great Pretty breezy in the AM.....almost flat calm when we pulled the plug. Only 5-7 other boats made up the armada. Till next time.....

Bryon

DC18FT
06-11-2010, 12:59 AM
1. Almost a full house...
2. Time to get outta here....
3. 5 of our 10

SuperD
06-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I think I passed you yesterday morning crossing the causeway on my way to work. Nice job on the fat Kokes.

gon troln
06-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Nicely done! I wish I could do more week day fishing!!

HiTechKoke
06-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Great report Bryon...... Berryessa is really coming alive it appears. Who says you have to get their early!.... apparently not.

Kevin

DC18FT
06-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Kevin, I have never been one to get on the water early...especially when fishing for kokes. At least at the lower elevation lakes in Ca, they seem to bite just as good later in the day. Only downside is that it is hot as heck.....LOL!!!!

SuperD....you should have turned around and followed us to the lake...lol. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it kills me when I'm going to work in the early hours of the day and see fishing boats heading out... feels kinda like nananananananananananana!!!!!

Bryon

SuperD
06-12-2010, 09:27 AM
SuperD....you should have turned around and followed us to the lake...lol. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it kills me when I'm going to work in the early hours of the day and see fishing boats heading out... feels kinda like nananananananananananana!!!!!
Bryon
I work in Davis so I actually got to follow you for a while. And yes, I hate guessing where the boats I see on my way to work are going. You need some stars, hooks or KFF stckers for that boat so we know who you are next time.

zhands
06-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Very nice Bryon I think I saw you out there as I was the guest of Berryessa Kid. Nice work. The weather turned awesome and the Kokes peeled line. Un like the Pede.

I think I will post up my report also, I did some videos of the day.

Z