PDA

View Full Version : Don Pedro and New Melones 6-5-10 and 6-6-10

HiTechKoke
06-08-2010, 01:16 AM
I fished the Kokanee Power derby on Saturday with my friends Khanh and Connie on their boat. It was a slow day for us and quite a few other derby entrants it seemed in trying to get the targeted Kokanee to bite. We were entertained on and off catching some Kings and Trout hanging around at the same depth which was generally 30 to 50 feet. We caught fish on a variety of lures with no real pattern. Our fish were in the 13 and 14 inch range but we needed some 15 inchers to be competitive. We fished the Graveyard area and around the corner from there as well.

On Sunday a number of us derby refugees went to Melones with high hopes of a better Kokanee bite. I was with DreamCatcher (Capt Al) for the day and in the end we got our limits as did our friends Khanh and Connie but we did have to work for them rotating lures left and right and finding fish. The fish were from 35 to 55 feet and we fished pretty much the entire range of the lake doing some early recon for the next derby there in a few weeks. Fish were caught on the variety of usual lures, spinners, hooches and Apex's. The fish were in the 13 to 15 inch class for us.

A few pics... no vids taken and some basic parking lot shots from Melones with our bounty!

froggie
06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Nice job, the limit stick looks just like the one I ended up with on Sunday. We tried talking to people on the radio, but didn't hear anyone on 69. We'll be at the Gorge this year, so we'll miss the KP Derby at Melones. Good luck to all who participate.
Froggie

gon troln
06-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Nice to hear NM cranking out the kokes. We'll be giving it a try this weekend, thanks for the report Kevin.