PDA

View Full Version : Night security on the lake for boat and gear?

Full_Monte
09-26-2008, 11:19 PM
As we discuss all the expensive gadgets one can put on a boat, I started thinking about how to secure it all at night during fishing trips. I have a locking bar on my motor mount, and a cheesy locker in the bow, but that's about all. With the addition of expensive downriggers, fish finders, black box, etc., I can see it becoming an easy target for thieves. What suggestions do you have for keeping the bad guys away? Sleeping in the boat is probably an idea my wife would not like, especially if I ask HER to do it. thumbsup

Petty4life
09-26-2008, 11:22 PM
I go by the old saying if you cant afford to loose it dont leave it on the boat, take it off and lock it in the truck

Full_Monte
09-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Heck, I can't even afford to buy it in the first place!

Petty4life
09-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Heck, I can't even afford to buy it in the first place!

LOL!!! me too.

Propnut69
09-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm very lucky to be able to keep my boat in a secure well lit storage area. I have to drive past it every day,so checking on it is easy. When I put the boat away for the year,everything that isn't nailed down comes off the boat. A motor lock for the kicker is a very good idea,I have one my self..I think one of the key things that a person can do,to protect their boat.Is to make it as hard on thieves as possible to steal your stuff. Make it too much of a hassle for them ,lock or remove everything that can be. Usually if it is to much work and time intensvie ,they will look for a easier target. All my rod lockers and storage compartments have locks,and that helps a bunch.

Full_Monte
09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm very lucky to be able to keep my boat in a secure well lit storage area. I have to drive past it every day,so checking on it is easy. When I put the boat away for the year,everything that isn't nailed down comes off the boat. A motor lock for the kicker is a very good idea,I have one my self..I think one of the key things that a person can do,to protect their boat.Is to make it as hard on thieves as possible to steal your stuff. Make it too much of a hassle for them ,lock or remove everything that can be. Usually if it is to much work and time intensvie ,they will look for a easier target. All my rod lockers and storage compartments have locks,and that helps a bunch.

OK Propnut...what about at the lake when you are staying over night. What do you do then?

Digi-Troller
09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
When I first got my boat I once left it unattended in a parking lot for around 10 minutes. We were down on shore talking with my uncle who was fishing. For some reason my dad decided to run up to the truck and check things... I wasn't so paranoid. Well, he found that the boat had been unhooked at the hitch. Another few minutes and they would have been gone with my boat and equipment. Fortunately they gave up when they saw him coming.

Since then I have been very paranoid and my boat is protected by Smith and Wesson! In addition to that I use locks on everything. If I can't lock it I put it in the truck. Also I have my equipment insured along with my boat. It makes things a little more complicated, but be paranoid and trust no one.

Propnut69
09-30-2008, 06:27 PM
OK Propnut...what about at the lake when you are staying over night. What do you do then?
I never camp where I can't see the boat,but I do lock up everything that can be stowed and locked. Its a big pita but it sure beats losing my stuff. Things that are to big to stow(nets,tackle bags,etc) come off the boat and are either locked in the truck,or the trailer. I have been very lucky for as many nights that I have camped on a lake,I have never had any trouble with thieves. As a lot of outdoors men in the mountain west tend to carry some type of firearm,thieves really are taking their life in their hands.

FishHunter
09-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I am lucky and have a boat that I sleep on at all times, whether in the water or on shore. However, my brother's boat is much smaller. He locks everything he can in the truck at night or when he is away from it. He even keeps a lock on the tongue so no one can steal the entire boat. We protect our camps with Smith & Wesson as well and have been fortunate enough not to have any problems.

I have had friends that have had entire hunting camps stolen - tent, gear, saddles, ATV's everything. You can never be too careful or too paranoid.