PDA

View Full Version : Willard Bay 06-05-2010

Kokaholic
06-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I went out and Hit the bay to dunk the boat and wet a line. I had KFF member KOEHOE with me. He hadnt caught a Willard wiper yet and we needed to put that to an end. Was on the water around 0745 hrs. Just in time to beat all the triathalon swimmers out of the marina.

All equipment fucntioned flawlessly and smoothly. This made me happy! Got some lines in the water and was able to find some wipers that wanted to cooperate.

We ended up bringing three nice dinner guests home for dinner. Their attendance was much appreciated and they made some wonderful Fish tacos!!

Also had four Drive buy "dine and dashes" that spit the hook. Was off the water by noon. Other things that needed to be done.

Lookin forward to doing it again. I have a ttached a couple pics.

TrophyBoat
06-06-2010, 04:25 PM
nice haul in, those things are chunks this year.

skookum9
06-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Okay, I'm a little ignorant I suppose, but I have to ask, is a Willard Wiper a striped bass crossed with a white bass or something? If not, what is a "wiper"?

Bduck
06-08-2010, 02:17 PM
The wiper is a hybrid cross between a female striped bass and a male white bass. Its appearance reflects
both parents. It has six to eight dark, horizontal broken stripes over a silver-white background, with a
dark charcoal to black back. It has two dorsal fins, the anterior with eight to ten sharp spines. It is slightly
heavier bodied than the striped bass and grows up to 12 pounds in weight and 24 inches in length.
Angling record: 2007; 9 lbs. 12 oz.; L: 26-1/8 in.; G: 19-1/4 in.; Rob Valdez; Willard Bay.
Catch-and-release record: 2005; L: 25 in.; Dale P. Tracy; Willard Bay.

Bottombouncer
06-08-2010, 07:41 PM
We still have a couple slots open for our Wiper Fest this Sat. June 12th at Willard should be alot of fun.

skookum9
06-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I have a stepson who loves to fish for bass and has always wanted to fish for striped bass. I'm not much of a bass lover so I have never taken him but I am curious if these things taste any better than does a large or small mouth bass. I've not developed much of a taste for warm water species but I did give his walley a try so I guess anything is possible. Do these wiper's taste very good to you?

Kokaholic
06-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Ive eatin both Wiper and Bass. Both Smallies and largies. I would prefer to eat either of these two over the Wipers. However, the wipers are great table fare also.