PDA

View Full Version : type of radio communication

krazybob
06-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I thought I'd get a VHF radio to carry in my boat. I bought a Midland Nautico 1 and took it out with me a couple of times, but seems that no one monitors any vhf channels here in SW Idaho. So I started taking a small cb radio and a VRS radio along. I'm courious as to what type of radios most boaters are using to stay in touch in our area, and what channels? Transplanted to Mtn. Home in 2006 from Nevada. I used the VHF there on Lake Tahoe.
Krazy~

BorntoFish01
06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I've got a marine vhf radio installed primarily for Columbia River and other areas. Haven't used it much at all here in Idaho. Usually we keep in touch via cell, although that doesn't work well in the canyon areas [which can also limit radio usuage].

sawtooth
06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Just picked up a VHF for when I go to Canada or the coast to fish for salmon. I too was wondering if anyone has used their radio at LP or any of the other lakes in the area.

Mojo
06-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I have a VHF, but like BTF, I usually just use a cell phone. If there are other guys I know out and they have VHF, we use that too.

MMDON
06-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I've never put up my antenna in Idaho. I use it at the Gorge and the Big Blue.

Mojo
06-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I've never put up my antenna in Idaho. I use it at the Gorge and the Big Blue.

That's why we refer to it as "SECURE COMMUNICATON". No one else even listens around here. :)

gonefishing
06-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I put both antenas up, VHF and CB. Never turn the radios on except down in the Gorge. Always have a cell phone along and that is what I usually use.

Uboat
06-10-2010, 09:53 AM
We have used the little hand held Motorola radios for boat to boat coms and they work prety good but are prety much line of sight.