PDA

View Full Version : A Must Read!

kodiak1
06-02-2010, 05:21 PM
The following is a note from the moderator of this forum's "cousin", the BigFish Idaho general posting site. The message applies even more so on this site, if you ask me. When you look at the number of "views" on, say, Lucky Peak threads--almost 10,000--and the few number of people contributing, those contributors will eventually quit sharing. Something for the "lurkers" to contemplate. Please read the following:

- NEW
This is just a note to talk about something that seems to come up on a yearly basis. It seems to me that the BFT-Idaho board is growing and I am amazed by all of the good people we have that contribute their hard earned knowledge without asking for anything in return.

That being said, there are also a lot of people who lurk in the shadows and take without giving anything in return. There really is nothing wrong with that it is a free forum and we understand that some are not ready to join us on the open forum.

The problem that I am worried about is the number of people who are posting reports or good questions without any kind of response. I know some people do not feel qualified to answer questions or just don't want to post to stroke someones ego. The fact of it is if people do not get any kind of feedback when they post a report they will quit posting.

Don't think I am saying we should feel obligated to respond to every thread. However, we should welcome new posters, give a congratulations when appropriate, and be helpful when possible. Without positive stimuli the board will crash.

Thanks

gonefishing
06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
101goodpost101 Your right on Kodiak. I know a couple of the shadow non board member readers who do not post. Usually these people are not very sociable anyway. The Idaho board is picking up, just like the Kokanee fishing in Idaho.

As our numbers grow, we may be able to organize our own Greet and Eat at one of the lakes, like they do on the Flaming Gorge board. Maybe even a one day fun Koke tournament. Any fun event is easy to organize and anyone can volunteer to head up an activity or event.

I read most of the boards as often as possible and there are a lot of Koke addicts who are willing to share knowlege, gerneral locations and information.
The majority of those who know, share. We need to develope a Idaho net- work that is similar to those in other states.

Its about catching Fish......And having fun!

MMDON
06-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Good thoughts Kodiak! 101goodpost101

pescado paul
06-03-2010, 08:26 PM
This is only my second time on, I've been a member for about two weeks. In my first post I kind of asked what were the do s and don'ts for this forum. That was some good info and I'll be an active part and would like to see some fun derbies etc... Thank you again

kodiak1
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for your becoming an active participator. I have found people to be extremely generous in their advice on this site and the BigFish site. I like the idea of a fun derby. Mike

Kokanee Vandal
06-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I can say for sure that I would not have had any success at all without this forum. Now that I feel I can contribute, I have joined and feel it necessary to be generous when giving advice. I still haven't dialed it in, but I hope to keep getting closer. Thanks for all who have helped, here and at the lake.

Gurnealius
06-06-2010, 01:29 AM
I'll be out at LP tomorrow around 1:30 0r 2. Gonna fish the dam. Give me a shout. 16 ft bass tracker with down riggers:) lol!

jimpete525
06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Well this is my first post and I guess you could say I have been lurking. I just started fishing for kokanee this year. I don't have a boat so i am stuck on the bank or the ice. I really love ice fishing for kokes on ririe so I really don't have much advice to give for summer fishing for kokes but I did fish ririe a ton this last winter. I have learned a lot about fishing for kokes from reading some of the post and this coming winter I hope to be able to contribute.

thanks
Jim

Blueback
06-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm glad I found this forum. I live in Boise and have been fishing Lucky Peak quite a bit the last few years. We're heading up tonight for a few hours of kokanee fishing. How do you post a report or comment without replying to a thread? Have been springer fishing pretty hard the last month or so and will be interesting to see what the higher water brings in LP - just getting back into the kokanee groove.

BlueBack79
06-06-2010, 05:58 PM
when you're on the main idaho page, there is a tab above all the threads that says new thread. just click that and you're good to go.

kodiak1
06-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Blueback,
Welcome to the site! Good luck tonight. Let me know this evening if possible as to how you did. Taking a fellow up tomorrow for his first taste of koke fishing, and am not too sure where to start. Either the Spring Shores area, or down the canyon, or perhaps even running down to the dam area. So many conflicting reports this time of year! In a month, things will certainly be easier to figure, with the fish moving towards S.S., and a much more consistent depth. It's like they're schizophrenic (sorry, I spent most of my life teaching Psychology!) this time of year. One day one thing, another the next. Hope to hear nothing but good news from you. Mike

ZONKER
07-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I just joined a couple of weeks ago. I am new to the area and fishing here. I have spent a lot of time on Ririe. I just bought a 17ft Four Winns fishing boat. I put two cannon DR on it and have a electric troller up front. I now have a new Fish Finder. Two trolling rods with counters. Every time I read more on what to use for Kokanee fishing I try and do some reserch about the item. I enjoy trolling with flies that I have tied and I am always looking for more patterns to tie. I belong to the Gem State Fly Fishers. I would really enjoy having a chance to meet with others and get to know each other. I was involved with a family meat packing company on the other side of the state for 30 years. I have cured and smoked about everything that could be. I enjoy smoking and watching people enjoy eating the catch.
Again just enjoy the whole site. After reading about all of the success on the threads, my gills get so swollen that I have to go fishing to get relief.

gonefishing
07-05-2010, 11:24 AM
ZONKER

The Flaming Gorge Board has an annual Meet and Greet BBQ once a year. Some of those avid Kokeaholics get together periodically in addition to the event. A good way to get started is to determine how much interest is out there for a similar get together.

We could eventually organize a Koke tournament for the idaho Board members also.

Go ahead and post a general interest link under the Idaho Forum link, and we will see how it goes.

Nothing wrong with developing a higher level of networking with members.

I plan on hitting Ririe hard between the 12 and 15th of July. I live close by to the reservoir.

If you are around let me know and we can hook up.

Tight lines

ZONKER
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
I have seen the times that we have hung around the cement tube by the dam. Just by using a caster lure, we dropped it over the side of the boat and we would have a hook up each time. With barbless hooks there is really some fun times on the RR. Good Luck
I am headed up to Island Park Reservoir and then on over to Henry's Lake for a long week end.
I REALLY ENJOY READING THE WHOLE SITE OF KOKANEE FORUM..... AS SOON AS I GET OUT AND SPEND SOME TIME ON THE LAKE HERE I WILL ENJOY WRITING POSTS AND GIVING POOR ADVISE (HA-HA)
Signing off for now ZONKER