PDA

View Full Version : GP report for 06/01/10

268bull
06-01-2010, 07:26 PM
waited the holiday weekend out for the option of going today when ramps are a lot less crowded. Got a late start and didn't get to my spot till around 07:45 and fished till 11:30. The bite was a little slow, had 4 in the cooler by 09:30 and then it went to a screeching halt! Had the occasional bump and only managed to land 1 more before I had to call it a day. I thought I did poorly till I spoke with a couple of other boats. One fellow had 1 bite, no fish, the other had 3 bites, no fish. They mentioned that they had spoke to other boats and fishing was slow for them as well. I was long lining a copper Ford Fender, and trailing a flo. orange wedding ring with a sparkle (yellowish-orange) smilie blade, 4 pieces of corn and shrimp oil. Having the Kokes for supper this evening. No complaints, 5 fish is better than no fish!

Fishin-RN
06-01-2010, 10:38 PM
my dad and i were there too (alumaweld talon) we might have crossed paths!
fishing was slow for us too but we managed 10 into the cooler, 5 apiece. other boats that we talked too had 7 and 5. Homemade spinners with slingblades and wobblers, single piece of corn either plain or garlic. sure is a strange cry from 2 weeks ago, on the 16th i had 22 all by myself! I noticed on the oregon reservior level website that foster is 102% full and GP is 92%, hopefully things heat up again soon!

kokaneekid
06-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I didn't make it out this weekend, sorry I couldn't give you a report... sounds like I did miss anything what part of the lake did you fish, and next time try one piece of corn per hook. More corn is sometimes less....... "fish".

Fish On kokaneekid

Lip Ripper
06-02-2010, 12:17 AM
I have way better luck when fishing with a hoochie with corn only on the bottom hook the same with a apex.

eric71m
06-02-2010, 09:55 AM
I have way better luck when fishing with a hoochie with corn only on the bottom hook the same with a apex.

101goodpost101

SilverBullets
06-02-2010, 11:27 AM

By putting corn just on the trailing hook of the apex have you noticed that your fish are more prone to get caught on that hook? I use one kernal per hook and find it interesting that the majority of the time the kokes get caught by the top hook and the trailer hook never got touched. I sometimes wonder if their more interested in the action of the lure and could care less about the corn.

Lip Ripper
06-02-2010, 12:18 PM
By putting corn just on the trailing hook of the apex have you noticed that your fish are more prone to get caught on that hook? I use one kernal per hook and find it interesting that the majority of the time the kokes get caught by the top hook and the trailer hook never got touched. I sometimes wonder if their more interested in the action of the lure and could care less about the corn.

I have found that when I have had a good bite or lost a fish right away the corn is off the top hook and not the bottom. But I have noticed it more on the hoochie. I run my top hook at least a inch behind the apex. I don't loose as many fish if I only put corn on the bottom hook. I also use a BB split shot on the line to keep the hooks from coming back to the apex.signfishin

DLM
06-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Every fish I have caught on a two hook rig has chomped down on the front hook, either with corn on the front hook or corn on both hooks, however, I have never tried corn on the back hook only.

I don't want them to bite the back hook, it defeats the purpose of two hooks. The front hook is for the mouth, the back hook is for anywhere else it can sink in.

That being said it is worth an experiment or two this weekend, putting corn on the back hook only.

Speaking of corn, I gave Del Monte brand a try this weekend and did not like it from the time I opened the can. True, the kernals are uniform in size, but WAY TOO LARGE to my way of thinking. I use #4 hooks and these kernals left very little of the hook exposed. I had more drivebys and actually lost two at the boat, which normally does not happen and I blame the size of the corn. Back to the jolly green for me.

Fishin-RN
06-02-2010, 02:25 PM
i put my corn on bottom hook too. I've landed fish with bottom hook only, top hook only, one in each lip (no joke), on in lip and one in gill plate, eyeball, etc. even landed fish that comletely wrap themselves in the leader up to the flasers! I've often wondered if the drive-by's are tail slaps or a bigger/smaller hook would help, OR (please forgive me) a barbless hook would help. signfishin

SilverBullets
06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I have found that when I have had a good bite or lost a fish right away the corn is off the top hook and not the bottom. But I have noticed it more on the hoochie. I run my top hook at least a inch behind the apex. I don't loose as many fish if I only put corn on the bottom hook. I also use a BB split shot on the line to keep the hooks from coming back to the apex.signfishin

I mainly put corn on both hooks for the drive bys...I figure if they stole a piece the other one is usually still there and just keep fishing. Alot of times they come back (at least I think it's the same fish) and hit it again within a minute or so. I've often thought that the corn on the back hook sometimes inhibits the stinger hook from doing it's job but I figure better to have the corn on it than not. I'll have to try your method out though...I know (at least with the apex) that the less corn on it the better off you are as far as the lures action goes. I used to put 2 kernels on each hook years ago and have found that it wasn't necessary and was probably doing more harm than good. As far as the hook set backs try rubber bobber stops...completely adjustable!thumbsup

Lip Ripper
06-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Every fish I have caught on a two hook rig has chomped down on the front hook, either with corn on the front hook or corn on both hooks, however, I have never tried corn on the back hook only.

I don't want them to bite the back hook, it defeats the purpose of two hooks. The front hook is for the mouth, the back hook is for anywhere else it can sink in.

That being said it is worth an experiment or two this weekend, putting corn on the back hook only.

Speaking of corn, I gave Del Monte brand a try this weekend and did not like it from the time I opened the can. True, the kernals are uniform in size, but WAY TOO LARGE to my way of thinking. I use #4 hooks and these kernals left very little of the hook exposed. I had more drivebys and actually lost two at the boat, which normally does not happen and I blame the size of the corn. Back to the jolly green for me.

I don't know what to tel you about the Del Monte Corn all that I can say is that I have never came back with less than 18 fish and most of the time with 25, I also use a # 4 hook. Is it the corn or what is in front of it? I am going in the morning we will see how it works as fishing isn't to good right now. signfishin

Lip Ripper
06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
I mainly put corn on both hooks for the drive bys...I figure if they stole a piece the other one is usually still there and just keep fishing. Alot of times they come back (at least I think it's the same fish) and hit it again within a minute or so. I've often thought that the corn on the back hook sometimes inhibits the stinger hook from doing it's job but I figure better to have the corn on it than not. I'll have to try your method out though...I know (at least with the apex) that the less corn on it the better off you are as far as the lures action goes. I used to put 2 kernels on each hook years ago and have found that it wasn't necessary and was probably doing more harm than good. As far as the hook set backs try rubber bobber stops...completely adjustable!thumbsup

The reason I don't use a bobber stop is that I want the small piece of led on the apex. It holds the back of the apex down so that the apex fluter's through the water. That causes the one piece of corn to go wild behind the apex. It works for me 2 pieces slows down the action to much drag. signfishin

DLM
06-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Is it the corn or what is in front of it? signfishin

I don't think it was the lure. I was using my "go to" hoochies that have produced limits and near limits each outing the past several weeks, the only thing different was the corn. Maybe it was just the fish or just one of those unexplainable days. Like when one rod produces and one does not...:confused:

Lip Ripper
06-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Dave I here you there the last time I was out my pink hoochie has been a killer but it failed last time. So it may be the fish have there on and off days.