PDA

View Full Version : GP speed limit near ramps

DLM
06-01-2010, 04:43 PM
This past Sunday, while waiting for my turn to pull to the dock and load my boat up, I was rocked, AND I MEAN ROCKED, by three different wakeboard boats. These inconsiderate *&)% were coming in or going out under more power than needed and causing some gigantic wakes. I kept turning my boat to take them head on and it handled it just fine. But I could'nt help but think about the guys in the smaller boats, they would have surely taken on water. A canoe would not have survived.

Then there were the boats at the dock getting banged again and again into the dock. And the people trying to get their boat on a trailer.

If this were a once and a while thing that's one thing, but it is every weekend and several times during the day. Now I am not saying all wakeboard boaters are rude and inconsiderate to the point of being unsafe, but from my personal observation both on the lake and around the ramps, the good guys make up only about 25%.

I would be interested in what other GP fisherman think about a speed limit on both the Thistle and Whitcomb arms around the ramps? Or a "no wake" zone. Would 10 mph be too fast, would they still make too much of a wake?

eric71m
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I too, have waited my turn to get off the lake only to be rocked to pieces as I wait my turn on the ramp, and those individuals that dont have the salmon boat ramp rush experience, and dont know how to get on and off the ramp as fast as possible, I can only sympothise as the waves keep coming in rattling thier nerves and paticience.

DLM
06-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I was just looking at the boating regulations on the Oregon Marine Board website and to my suprise there already is a 10mph limit within "the posted areas" near the Thistle and Whitcomb ramps.101shock1101

The only problem is, there are no posted areas at either ramp that I have ever seen, certainly no buoys marking an area. My opinion is that 10mph is too fast, wakeboats will still put out a heck of a wave at that speed.

Lip Ripper
06-01-2010, 06:39 PM
You will also find in the regulations that each boat is responsible for there wakes. Get there # and turn them into the Sheriff. This is plane crazy some people don't care about others. A few years ago I was fishing in a 14' John boat at the booms with my brother-in law when one of those guys came by and turned us over and almost swamped another small boat. This needs to stop I have also had it happen to me at thistle. I agree 10 miles MPH is to fast it should be a no wake speed.

268bull
06-01-2010, 07:02 PM
This has been an ongoing problem for years. Complaints get the same response time after time, under staffed, no funding,yada,yada. Stll, the best thing you can do is get the crafts operating number and as good of a description of the individual as possible and contact the sheriff. It happens out on the water also while I'm trolling. Coming between the shoreline and my boat. There used to be bouy's at Thistle creek but for whatever reason, that's gone by the wayside. Keep pressuring the sheriff with complaints! ( Non-Emergency # 541-967-3911 )

twisted lines
06-01-2010, 09:40 PM
I have never seen GP, but can say my wake at 10 is much larger then at 40 there is a distance thing from the docks, look it up and ask politly for them to spend some time to inforce it. I am just tuneing in my planer boards and they do go out 100' both sides. thumbsup TL

kokaneekid
06-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Green Peter, or any other lake in Oregon, the ramps are too small for most people, no one knows how to back a boat up, “except of course my brothers from the forum”, and you are on full power unless you are on the trailer, or you have a wake boarded behind you. Then the fat sacks are full and you have a wake the size of a cruise liner behind you and you are blasting the music so loud you just woke up most of my dead relatives. Good luck with the speed limit, It should be a No Wake Zone at the ramps, and you should always take is easy on the smaller boats.
Good Luck with that one I think you are preaching to the choir!
Fish On kokaneekid

kokaguy1
06-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm with ya dlm. In my opinion a large majority of the people who own these types of boats do not understand and are totally unaware of the damage and safety issues these wakes can cause.
These folks spend tons of money on their boats and have every right to run them on bodies of water the size of GP, however, they must use common sense in the areas of docks and ramps, these areas should be posted as NO WAKE zones. I hold the people in charge of these waters partly responsible for not having the area properly marked as well. But that being said boaters with any common sense at all know ramps and docks are no wake areas whether they are marked or not. I could go on and on with the subject it just makes me soooo mad how some people operate a boat sometimes, they can be very inconsiderate. tooexcited

kokaguy1
06-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Good Lord, so lets everyone do 40 around the docks and ramps cuz there's less wake. Come on! Your kidding right? ..... I'm going fishin these comments are very disappointing.

skookum9
06-08-2010, 01:27 AM
It is my understanding that it was a small minority that caused us to have the Oregon Boater's Card rule. It seems that it is still that same small minority that just doesn't get it about safe boating for everyone's benefit. I do not know what it will take to get them to realize that they take away a lot of fun for everyone when they don't think about the effects of their actions on others but I sure wish that something would work on them. I agree that I would like to see them enjoy their time and money they've spent on those really cool toys they play on but I sure wish they would learn to be more considerate of others that are on the water to play also.

eric71m
06-18-2010, 05:50 PM
sooo.... I spoke to the coasties down at sunnyside (?) and they told me that the whole inlet for thistle is suposed to be a no wake zone... I was told that everyone that notices violators, needs to call the lynn county sherif and report violators, no need for HID#. I was told that with enough reports, that the sherifs dept, and or the coast gaurd would be then force to watch for violators... hmmm... but at least it made me feel better.

especially after my partner was nearly nocked over board due to some ^(&(* &ss and his wake to beat me to the ramp... and it wasnt even a wake board boat... it was a fellow fisher...

At any rate call the lynn county sherifs office and report violators!!!

Maybe we will get something fixed if we as KFF fishers stick together!

Lip Ripper
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
sooo.... I spoke to the coasties down at sunnyside (?) and they told me that the whole inlet for thistle is suposed to be a no wake zone... I was told that everyone that notices violators, needs to call the lynn county sherif and report violators, no need for HID#. I was told that with enough reports, that the sherifs dept, and or the coast gaurd would be then force to watch for violators... hmmm... but at least it made me feel better.

especially after my partner was nearly nocked over board due to some ^(&(* &ss and his wake to beat me to the ramp... and it wasnt even a wake board boat... it was a fellow fisher...

At any rate call the lynn county sherifs office and report violators!!!

Maybe we will get something fixed if we as KFF fishers stick together!

It would be nice for the Coast Guard or who ever to post the speed limit so people would know what the speed limit is. But you would think they would use common sense to slow down. There is a 10 MPH speed limit posted on the bridge at Whitcomb but that doesn't help the boat ramp. They could put up a sign at the float at Thistle to advise every one of the speed limit. If we don't need there boat # what good will it do to turn them in. We need the # so the Sheriff has some one to go after. As Eric71M said lets all get together ans stop this before some one gets hurt.

Cannon
06-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I hate the wake boarders as well. Second only to that are the idiots on the personal water craft. I hate restrictions but some folks just have no consideration or common sense so restrictions are required. Sad!

jzell
06-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Why do you think they call um Wakeboard boats?

Take up your issue with the sheriff and contact the marine board to see what the process would be to change the law.

My guess is you guys will do........

jz

f4knight
07-04-2010, 10:11 AM
I agree there needs to be a no wake zone and a limit entering the ramp waters. I was @ GP yesterday when there were two sheriff's boats on the water.. which was great to see. f4knight

DLM
07-04-2010, 06:35 PM
I have been talking with the Linn County Sheriff's Department and will report back with developments. I remain optomistic.

DLM
07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
I was just looking at the boating regulations on the Oregon Marine Board website and to my suprise there already is a 10mph limit within "the posted areas" near the Thistle and Whitcomb ramps.101shock1101

The only problem is, there are no posted areas at either ramp that I have ever seen, certainly no buoys marking an area. My opinion is that 10mph is too fast, wakeboats will still put out a heck of a wave at that speed.

Here is a little update on what I have found out.

The Linn County Sheriff is contracted by the OSMB to provide enforcement and place bouys on covered waterways in Linn County.

The regulations say that the speed limit is 10mph (within the posted area surrounding the boat launching ramp in Thistle Creek Arm)

There are no areas marked around the boat ramp and the Sheriff's office says they would set out bouys but the OSMB must tell them where to put them, the OSMB must determine where the posted area should be.

OSMB pays for the bouys.

So, the regulation really means nothing until the OSMB tells the Sheriff's office where to set the speed restriction bouys/markings.

I have calls into the OSMB and will post any further updates as I learn more.

Lip Ripper
07-21-2010, 12:38 AM
The next time you come to the dock in Thistle go 10 MPH and look at your wake. I did this the other day using my GPS going 10 MPH and the wake looked like the Queen Mary just went by. I strongly suggest a NO wake zone if they put up a speed limit sign.

Fishin-RN
07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Even my little 14 ft gregor makes the biggest wake at 10 mph. Every conscious boat operator knows that a majority of pleasure boats make the least wake at full plane or at idle speed or just above that. 101idea101

DLM
07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
The current regs (250-020-0242) put the limit at 10mph but with the overwelming (sp?) support of "no wake" maybe we can get them to make a change in the reg.

Here is the link the the regs if anyone is interested.

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_200/OAR_250/250_020.html

DLM
07-28-2010, 01:26 AM
!!!SUCCESS!!!101bananna101

I talked with Dale at the Marine Board today. He is one of the enforcement officers and two weeks ago spent the day on GP with the Sheriffs Marine Patrol. We discussed the problems that have been reported around the Thistle Creek ramp and also discussed the regulations as they now exist. He was then going to talk with another person in their office and get back to me.

About a half hour later he called back and said that they have decided to make a no wake zone within 500 feet of the ramp. From what I understand they will go 500 feet south of the ramp (toward the main part of the lake) and that will be the boundry for no wake. He also said that if this is not far enough next year they will re-evaluate and maybe enlarge the area. To make the entire Thistle Creek arm "no wake" would take an administrative rule making and that would involve public hearings and such.

He has already asked the lady that does the purchasing for their office to order the bouys and material for setting them. The Linnn County Sheriffs Marine Patrol will set the bouys.

He urged us to report FLAGRANT violators but emphasized that if you are going to report someone, you must have their registration number off the boat. He stated all violators will be contacted by the marine board or the Sheriff's office, and anyone who witnesses reckless operation of a boat can sign a complaint and a citation will be issued, again you need the boat numbers.

I was extremely impressed and pleased with the response I got from the Marine Board. Everyone I talked to there was very nice and helpful. What a refreshing experience when compared to contacts I have had with other government agencies. Hopefully this will make using that ramp a safer and more pleasant experience for all of us.

Lip Ripper
07-28-2010, 09:45 AM
DLM
You have done a great job pursuing this matter,I for one want to thank you for the great job. I am sure that all of our brothers & sisters on the KFF also really appreciate your efforts on this matter. awesomereport

Cannon
07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Good job! We should call it the DLM safety coridor!

jzell
07-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Way-da-go DLM..."government goes to those who show up."

DLM
08-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Dale Flowers from the Marine Board called me back on Friday just to confirm that the bouy's have been ordered and will be drop shipped directly to the Sheriff's office.

The input from this thread and the survey results were instrumental in getting this accomplished. Thanks to everyone that participated either with their comments or their vote.
101props101101props101101props101

redmanjr1
08-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Great job DLM for not giving up on this and taking a stand. I don't fish that lake but know what it feels like to be bombarded with wake at the most inopportune times. Just goes to show you that when you're persistant you can get things accomplished.

Bob

kenamatic
08-09-2010, 05:17 PM
WAY TO GO DLM. Your persistance paid off!! We saw first hand the wakes that were produced around the launch. worthy12

Doc_Rhen
08-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Nicely done, if I am not confused I thought that all ramps in Oregon were no wake within 200' posted or not. Anyway it would seem that a buffer in the Theilsen cove would not really inconvenience anyone and certainly save some wrecks. As far as no wake vs 10 mph no wake is the way to go with docking/launching areas, 10 mph works just fine for long arms that we want to eliminate water-sports and just use for fishing or swimming. My little boat (22' sled) throws about 3' rollers at 10 mph and I am sure there are some idiots that would roll in to the ramp at 10 if it was posted as such causing as much or more problem than we have now.