PDA

View Full Version : The Gorge-5/26 thru 5/30

Bduck
05-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately got a late start on 5/26 but got camp set up. Windy conditions prevailed for the first 3days. When I did launch at Lucerne, DNR was there to check for the proper AIS documentation but did not do an inspection of boats. It was only 1 DNR rep and not a show of force. He was getting overwhelmed with boaters wanting to hit the water. Fished pipeline area and as what was said in another post, my wife took in 3kokes and I got a rainbow(released). Using RMT hyperplaid, bahama mama and silver/green dodgers with pearlscent, double glow caribbean, cotton candy squids. All caught kokes but the DGlow caribbean did the best behind a hyperplaid dodger. Tipped it with a pink Berkley Gulp maggot and it got slammed. All of this setup on one of Vances spiral wrap rods(P-LT 702-7T) with a Caiman 100 Tica reel. This combo really performed well. Day 3, very windy with 20mph winds to start with. Headed across Lindwood Bay and into the canyons. Ended up at hideout canyon and was protected some from high winds. I caught a 3kokes using a silver/green dodger with a pearlscent squid tipped with a pink maggot. Smaller koke was released but kept 2. When we got back to Linwood Bay, OMG it was ocean type swells. Winds had picked up to 30mph with gusts of up to 50 & 60 mph. Made it back to Lucerne but was unable to trailer the boat. After sitting in a private slip for an hour, Justfish showed up and helped me off of the lake. Thanks Dave. Alot of wind damage done everywhere. Day4, cold & breezy but not too bad. Trolled pipeline area and hooked up to a fat bow about 4lbs on silver/green dodger with pearlscent squid. My dog found a sleeping spot inside my net so after fighting the fish, my line snapped just above the dodger, the only dodger of that color I had. Decided to relocate across from Anvil and had a double hookup of some laker pups which tangled some lines. After straightening that mess out, used a hyperpaid with a Radical Glow Stinger watermelon color tipped with maggot and some SockeyeSlayer UV Super Gel scent, my wife caught 2 nice kokes about 3lbs each using Vances spiral wrap rod again. Thanks Vance, love these rods. Thinking about getting a couple of more. Day 5, a very nice day forming after the night before left a thick layer of frost but it was time to pack up & go home. crymeariver I was out fished by my wife on this trip. But that is a good thing. She's wanting to come back and do it again. 101punch101

Trophy Taker
05-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Great post and info Roger! Glad you made it through the storm ok. I heard it was a whopper and lots of folks didn't fair so well. How deep were you running your gear? Has the water temp crested the 50* mark yet?

Bduck
05-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Great post and info Roger! Glad you made it through the storm ok. I heard it was a whopper and lots of folks didn't fair so well. How deep were you running your gear? Has the water temp crested the 50* mark yet?

Sorry, got so involved trying to post that I left a couple of details out. I would mark fish but no skools. All fish were caught in the top 20ft. Surface temp would be around 48-49F. Back in the canyons where its more protected, temp was 50F.

jacksonlaker
05-31-2010, 07:24 PM
I just bought another of those spiral wrap rods for this season. I love the way they load up in a downrigger. I really like the soft action for Kokes and rainbows. Great report. I want to get back down there so bad, but I'm going to wait for the fishing to pick up a little. Love the dog in net pic !!!

halojm
05-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey Rodger
I was actually up there Sat night and Sunday morning. dave and I found the koks and had a blast sunday morning, but I can tell you they are not where you would think they are and the depth would make you call me a liar. ask us after the derby. Dave as swore to silence also.

froggie
05-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Nice...I'm getting so excited. Can't wait until our trip to the Gorge...17 days!!
We've got 3 of Vance's Spiral Wrap rods with Tica reels...and I've also got a Jared Johnson Koke Special rod that i'm eager to try out at the Gorge. Great looking at the pics, too.
Froggie

MMDON
05-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Great report Roger! We are all jonesing to get there! Love the tease!

Don

Propnut69
06-01-2010, 12:57 AM
first off glad you and the Mrs and the dog are ok,after winds like that. I heard the wind were a howlin out there on sat..Thats the gorge for ya,,,,,,,,,,,nice one minute,wanting to kill ya the next. glad you caught some nice fish,,kinda makes what ya went through worth it.thumbsup As for the Mrs out fishing you,a smart man lets his wife catch more fish. 101cheers101

Rasty1
06-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Roger, first diddo on Popnut's post, glad you made it back across the bay!

I am glad to see your post, I leave in 3 days for the gorge staying at Lucerne Marina and as a first timer to the gorge was haunting this forum and nothing till your post about fish at this end of the gorge! Till now, I thought everything was up around Buckboard.

Great report, thanks!

halojm
06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I think things are starting to improve. We found lots of koks Sunday around lucerrne. Caught on squids trailing RMT dodgers. Orange and Blue seemed to be the ticket for us along with some new stuff I'm trying out. Now if we can get the wate to warm up a bit the season should be in full swing.

Bduck
06-01-2010, 10:09 PM
We came off the water late Sat about 7pm from north of the pipeline and ended up packing Sunday am. I didn't think about you being up there Rob. I felt I got beatin' up after the wild weather week we just went thru, winds, rain, snow & cold. Sunday was a picture perfect day and we were heading home. I'm thinking about sneaking up there next Sunday if I can survive this week at work. Things are very slow up the hill from you right now. That will wear you down by itself. A fishing day always seems to perk me up.

halojm
06-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Go get um Rodger. Wish I was going up this weekend. Had to make a deal with the One Who Must Be Obeyed. She said I had to stay home and d the yard worked I promosed I would do last weekend. Give me a call on the cell if you want some info about what we did last Sunday to get into them. I sent you a PM with the number. Cheers

Bduck
06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Nice...I'm getting so excited. Can't wait until our trip to the Gorge...17 days!!
We've got 3 of Vance's Spiral Wrap rods with Tica reels...and I've also got a Jared Johnson Koke Special rod that i'm eager to try out at the Gorge. Great looking at the pics, too.
Froggie

You'll enjoy Jared's signature rod. I have 2 of them which I purchased last year from Jared. I married Okuma Convector 15 reels to these and I like them.101ok101

aquaman
06-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Jared's rods are great!! I also have 2 of them. I head for the Gorge in only 11 days. My first trip there.

Vance Staplin
06-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Great report Roger!

When is this winter going to give up??? It is clear the Gorge is ready to kick out some nice fish but it sounds dangerous out there! It is great that you got some good fishing in anyway.

Glad you like the rods. I'm kind of partial to them myself! They have been an uphill battle trying to get anglers to try them but once they do...They love them.

Thanks for the update on the gorge!

Vance

tortuga
06-06-2010, 11:16 PM
First off I love the spiral wrap...I grew up stream fishing with a spinning rod...now with a left hand Tica and a Vance's rod I am a happy camper!
As far as the weather it has like 11 days to get it together...well if not at lest
I got a satellite dish for the land yacht.
See you out there
Tortuga