PDA

View Full Version : Tough on Lake Stevens

Mr. Kok
05-30-2010, 04:13 PM
It was tough on Lake Stevens this morning.

Fished from 6:30 to 10:30 without a single bite. We threw lots of gear at them from wedding rings of all colors to hootchies of all colors, all behind 4/0 dodgers of various colors, in depths from the surface down to 40'.

Are they going deeper now? Could the bite be off since the derby?

We have not been skunked on Lake Stevens since March when it was too cold.

Hope others are doing better than I am.

eenakoK
05-30-2010, 06:23 PM
I am sorry you have a rough day on the water! It is always fun to try and figure out what the deal is. Were you marking fish? Good luck next time you get out there!

Mr. Kok
05-31-2010, 12:44 PM
I am sorry you have a rough day on the water! It is always fun to try and figure out what the deal is. Were you marking fish? Good luck next time you get out there!

Thanks DB...

The batteries were dead in the fish finder so I was fishing blind, maybe that was the problem. It sounded like Rottenchum even had a tough day, he only boated 5 fish.

kokanee_slayer
06-02-2010, 11:23 PM
To bad about the fishing. I had the same type of day at American on the 31st. Went out the day prior and nailed them. However, on the following I couldn't hardly buy a fish - 6hrs and one small fish that I turned loose. I'm thinking about giving Stevens a try this summer just for a change of pace.

Yellowjacket56
07-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Well, I am here with hat in hand, and I must confess that I have been following the Walleye guys for a bit, but I guess I am ready for some
Kokes. I finally got my boat put back together and am ready to hit the water. Thought I would try Stevens, but since I am not a seasoned koke fisher I would ask a few questions.
Is this a good idea to fish Stevens right now?
Terminal rig is what?
As you can see, I am pretty new at this, but I guess everybody has to
start somewhere. I have two Penn manual downriggers with eight pound
balls.

Am I ready?

Thanks is advance for your help.

Mr. Kok
07-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Well, I am here with hat in hand, and I must confess that I have been following the Walleye guys for a bit, but I guess I am ready for some
Kokes. I finally got my boat put back together and am ready to hit the water. Thought I would try Stevens, but since I am not a seasoned koke fisher I would ask a few questions.
Is this a good idea to fish Stevens right now?
Terminal rig is what?
As you can see, I am pretty new at this, but I guess everybody has to
start somewhere. I have two Penn manual downriggers with eight pound
balls.

Am I ready?

Thanks is advance for your help.

You have to get on the lake early this time of year before the skiiers start in for the day but the Kok's are still biting in deeper {45-60'} water.

Terminal Rig ~ 4/0 dodger, wedding ring, bait {depends on the day but usually shoe peg corn} and scent.

Use light releases on you downrigger and your should be set.

Let us know how you do and good luck out there ~ Mr. Kok

Kokonuts
07-12-2010, 07:57 PM
This is starting to sound like Lake Merwin down in the SW!

I hit Merwin last Fri. & had a blast getting 5 (The Limit) in about 41/2 hours then came back at 6:00 on Sat , got 1 early and then nothing the rest of the day untill I was run out by the skiers. laugh hyst

What is the limit at Stevens and what size are they? I've been thinking of trying a new lake just for funn! worthy12

Thanks, Kokonuts

Torres
07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
It was tough on Lake Stevens this morning.

Fished from 6:30 to 10:30 without a single bite.

Mr. Kok I feel your pain.

I've been to the lake 4 times already the past couple of weeks and the fish are there, i've seen them being caught.

Getting to the lake early is definitely a plus. On the 2nd (Friday) I hit the west side of lake early and trolled around the aerator, spotting fish anywhere from 25 to 50 feet (skunked) and then I tried it last Friday morning a little later, around 7:00 and the jets and skiers were already on the water.

And I can see why the fish don't like the jetskis.

They sounded like someone taking their gas weed trimmer and running it underwater at full bore! There was one out there (an older model) that was even putting out a wierd frequency (the plugs?) and when it started running nearby, tiny dots running diagonally would suddenly appear on my fishfinder!

As for the fishing, I think the combination of boat traffic and sunny weather has spooked them down to deeper parts this past week. I didn't stay on the lake much longer because of the traffic and I was getting too warm on the boat.

I didn't start spotting fish until the 40 to 50 foot mark and i'm sure they were deeper than that too.

All of the people I've talked to the past couple of trips were catching them deeper than 40' so having a fish finder is a must for success!

Hopefully this helps..

I'm planning on heading out again this Friday and testing some new flies i've tied lately. I'll try and make a post if i'm successfull.

Richard

Mr. Kok
07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
This is starting to sound like Lake Merwin down in the SW!

I hit Merwin last Fri. & had a blast getting 5 (The Limit) in about 41/2 hours then came back at 6:00 on Sat , got 1 early and then nothing the rest of the day untill I was run out by the skiers. laugh hyst

What is the limit at Stevens and what size are they? I've been thinking of trying a new lake just for funn! worthy12

Thanks, Kokonuts

Hey Kokonuts,

The limit is 10 per person on Lake Stevens and it depends on the year but generally they average a plump 12-14" later in the season.

Good luck out there ~ Mr. Kok

Yellowjacket56
07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Well, I guess there is someone looking out for me. I am getting my boat ready for some fishing after a two year absence. Health issues. Anyway, I got the boat and motor ready, took my two Penn downriggers apart to clean and lube them only to have the line break on one of them when I picked it up. Now I have to replace the cables and then I discovered the wiring needs a redu
to make the lights go on when you turn on the switch.
Better this all happened before I got on the water. Sonar won't work without the little electrons doing their thing. I am thinking of running new wires to all the appliances. Should be done just in time for the dog days of August.
Maybe I should just pray for a sockeye season on Lake Wash.
As soon as I got the net and cooler in the boat I will be back with more questions. I will be monitoring the threads so you fellows had better not tell lies. Oh, I forgot we are fisherpersons. Lies come natural.

Thanks for your time.

lowe1648mt
07-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Grandad said " I fish -Therefore I lie " Maybe not but we do tend to stretch the truth from time to time.