PDA

View Full Version : American Lake 5.29.2010

eenakoK
05-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Well the day started out a lot better than the previous week. I was actually able to get out of the boat ramp area and fish. The boat performed great and it is amazing what new Shift/Throttle cables will do thumbsup

We got to the lake around 6:00 and the weather looked decent. We started fishing and it seemed that it was going to be a good day. The wind picked up and ultimately kicked us off the water right around 11. The fishing started out slow, at least we caught a couple of trout on the top line to keep things interesting with the kids. Right about 7:30 the "bite" turned on and it was pretty consistent for over a hour. We lost a lot of fish with the boys trying to rush getting the fish into the net. We probably had 14 fish up to the boat and ended up with 6. the smallest being 9.5 (kids wanted to keep it) and largest a little under 15" I am having a hard time with the camera right now. I will try and post a picture later. (fixed, kinda.. the lines showed up on the picture)

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/dlbutterfield/Fishing/AmericanLake/American5292010.jpg

The majority of the fish came by the new boat ramp out in 80ft of water and 35ft down. Hot combo for the day was a 5.5 Bahama Mama with a UV Pink Splatter Back hoochie.

I hope that everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend!!

SilverBullets
05-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Way to go David...looks like you had a pretty decent day. I'm sure the kids were glad the boat got fixed and were able to get out fishing again.signfishin

smokin' Kokes
05-29-2010, 06:58 PM
try a rubber snubber on the boy's lines after the dodger/sling blade and before the leader.
i make my own out of 12" of small steelheader lead weight rubber tubing or small surgical tubing. use small copper wire to twist around end of tubing with barrel swivel/snap in each end to tie leader to and snap to dodger/sling blade.
need the stretchy type of tubing.
you may have to put the snubber before the dodger/sling blade to get enough action from the squid/tube

can buy them but expensive and the short ones don't have enough stretch.

also try loosening their drags but they've probably got that dad trick figured out already. 4lb or 6lb mono also helps, more stretch.
enjoy all the questioning from the boys, it ends too soon.
you're a very lucky dad.

eenakoK
05-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Way to go David...looks like you had a pretty decent day. I'm sure the kids were glad the boat got fixed and were able to get out fishing again.signfishin

I had a lot of fun with them this week.. I told them all week that the boat was still broken and that we won't be able to go fishing. I didn't tell them until last night before they were going to bed. I am going to enjoy this stage as much as possible for as long as I can because they are so excited about fishing and the boat. It is amazing to me how easy they get up in the morning.

try a rubber snubber on the boy's lines after the dodger/sling blade and before the leader.
i make my own out of 12" of small steelheader lead weight rubber tubing or small surgical tubing. use small copper wire to twist around end of tubing with barrel swivel/snap in each end to tie leader to and snap to dodger/sling blade.
need the stretchy type of tubing.
you may have to put the snubber before the dodger/sling blade to get enough action from the squid/tube

can buy them but expensive and the short ones don't have enough stretch.

also try loosening their drags but they've probably got that dad trick figured out already. 4lb or 6lb mono also helps, more stretch.
enjoy all the questioning from the boys, it ends too soon.
you're a very lucky dad.

Thank you for the ideas. We are working on reeling at a steady pace and not lifting the rod at the end of the fight (raising the fish out of the water). Getting those two things under control will help the catch rate a lot. It doesn't matter to me about getting our limit. They will get it here soon. Salmon season starts here soon and I think that this is a good primer for them! Thanks again for the ideas!

Mr. Kok
05-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Awsome DB, hope you did not get too wet.

If the monsoon stops I am going to hit Lake Stevens tomorrow with my dad and post how we do. This is my favorite time of year for Kok's.

eenakoK
05-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Awsome DB, hope you did not get too wet.

If the monsoon stops I am going to hit Lake Stevens tomorrow with my dad and post how we do. This is my favorite time of year for Kok's.

We lucked out on the rain! It was just too windy to stay out any longer. Good luck if you get out tomorrow! This is a lot of fun right now. I want to get up to Lake Stevens to try it out up there. Let us know how you do!

kokanee_slayer
05-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Great Report and nice pics. Well, you changed my mind. I was going to hit Alder tomorrow but guess I will try American instead.

eenakoK
05-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Great Report and nice pics. Well, you changed my mind. I was going to hit Alder tomorrow but guess I will try American instead.

Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how you do..