PDA

View Full Version : Wallowa In Early June

John Ward
05-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I will be at Wallowa from 6/9 to 6/16. So far, it appears that other than a very few huge trophies fishing has been poor. While I would love to catch the next world record koke, realistically, what kind of action can I expect otherwise?
I haven't fished there since the early 90's when overall koke fishing was very good.
It is a VERY long drive from the OR coast if its only going to be a low odds chance for a giant koke. Any advice appreciated. Also, I've been told local info is not shared or you can even be pointed the wrong way. Wasn't that way when I was there in the 90's so I hope thats wrong.

DLM
05-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Also, I've been told local info is not shared or you can even be pointed the wrong way. Wasn't that way when I was there in the 90's so I hope thats wrong.

Some folks that go into a marina at a lake, any lake, and ask for advice may not get a very good response, HOWEVER, if you ask them to show you what to buy, and spend a little $$, they will be much more helpful.

During the week, when we will be there, is when most of the "locals" will be out. While they may not volunteer much info, they can't hide where they are fishing. Then the only unknown is what rigging to use, and that is where the $$ at the marina comes in.

I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know, but others may benefit.

See you there.

Brooster
05-28-2010, 11:14 AM
my experience from earlier this year, you can expect 6- 8 take downs per rod per day, (on a good day!!) and catching 1 - 3 of those. just my 2cents worth. good luck.

John Ward
05-29-2010, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the advice, including the pm's. I will be there long enough to try a lot of gear & methods. I know the action won't be like what I've had at Odell recently, but there is the excitement of knowing there's some biggies lurking. And, then, there's that scenery!

SuperD
05-29-2010, 09:00 AM
A couple of friends are on there way home from a little over a week long trip up there. Weather was their biggest problem. Periods of rain almost everyday and snowmen being built on the transom. Slow days were 2 - 3 fish to the boat in the 17" - 19" range with good days maybe being in the 10 fish range.

pimpler
05-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I fish Wallowa Lake exclusively and I am the holder of the state record for the time being. If you will go back and read my previous posts I think you will find that I have shared just about everything there is to share about fishing for kokes in the lake. Your remark about receiving bad info or info not being shared is limited to a very small percentage of people who fish the lake and is not the norm. If you have any particular questions just look for me in the 12 foot aluninum Trailorboat. Good luck on your trip.

skookum9
05-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks for your comment, Pimpler. You are a restorer of faith in people. I was sad to see that someone believes they are given bad advice if they don't spend money. This may be true in some place like LA or New York but I would certainly hope it wasn't true of my home state and its residents. I know that anything that I can share is available for the asking. And the only people I have met who were secretive about what they were doing or where, and there are some of them out there, weren't really very good fishermen to begin with and only had success out of luck. It's good to hear about those who gladly share their success stories and it makes better and more ethical fishermen of us all. Thanks Pimpler.

Cannon
05-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I will be at Wallowa from 6/9 to 6/16.

I will be fishing the lake as well starting on the 9th. Looking forward to it! Hands are shaking, and can't sleep. Still drink a few beers though and I still have my appetite so I must be ok. I have a ton of gear and new scents to try out so it definitely will be interesting. Black Alumaweld Stryker with grey top 135 Honda with Honda kicker.

hubtucker
05-31-2010, 03:16 AM
Ok, guys. I'm a newbie on this fishing site. Didn't even know it existed. Am most familiar with Wickiup, but have only fished Wallowa a couple of times with very limited success, except for small trout and kokes about 3 years ago. Will be at the lake 6/9 thru 6/13 and am looking forward to some koke fishing. I do not use downriggers. Does anyone find the SW or NW end of the lake better for the kokes? Does the lake turn over this time of the year? Thanks for your responses.

vvBob
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
We Trolled the middle of the lake. 265-275' of water. 7-15 OTW. RGT's worked the best, Pink with natural tail & all chartreuse 8" behind a mid size RMT Bahama Mama or Hyper Plaid sling blade @1.3mph. Maggots or corn, both worked with Shrimp oil for scent.

Good Luck!!

hubtucker
06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I live in Central Oregon and fish Wickiup a lot and am quite familiar with it, but Wallowa seems to be a little different kind of fishing. Maybe I will fish one rod with each kind of fishing, one that I am use to and change things up a little for Wallowa. Seems as though everyone's speed is down at 1.2 - 1.4. I will probably have to use more weight as I cannot get below about 1.8 unless I go to an electric, which I might consider.

sawdustsavage
06-08-2010, 03:04 PM
101cheers101I would like to know how you do. Also the gear and presentation. I will be there for the month of July. I have never fished it before. I can use all the help I can get. I was going to rent a cabin for a week. found a house for a month for about the same as the weekly rate. Seemed like a no-brainer. Now all I need to do is learn how to catch them there. I have read lots of good advice here and elsewhere on Koke fishing. Sounds like I picked the toughest one to start on. That's O.K. because I have found out in other fishing if you can fish the toughest water the rest are a piece of cake.
Anyway any info from anyone on the techniques that work best there will be greatly appreciated.signfishin

hubtucker
06-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Was at the lake last Wednesday, 6/9, thru Sunday, 6/13. Didn't get there until last Wednesday, so no fishing Wednesday and left yesterday at noon. Rainy, Wed, Thu and Fri, but still got some fishing in Thur and Fri. Caught a 17" and 20 1/2" (about 4 lbs) on Thurs. Fishing partner caught about a 20 lb. Mackinaw on Friday. Great fun on 8 lb. test. Will post a picture when he gets it emailed to me. Fished mostly flat line (except when we caught the Mack, 3 ounces) no weight with Bolo lake troll with a homemade lure similar to wedding ring with corn, back 150 feet, probably only 12 to 15 feet down. Fished mostly west side of lake. Hope this helps.

sawdustsavage
06-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a great time. i can't wait to get there.