PDA

View Full Version : Late Melones report 5/21-5/22

DC18FT
05-27-2010, 07:16 PM
5/21: Dad and I slept in and got on the water at 8:30. Started trolling at the spillway and landed our first koke of the day within 10 minutes. 5 minutes later we lose a nice one at the boat. No more action for 3o minutes so we start trolling over towards Rose Island.

Water is way down right now so Rose Island is actually connected by land with the Tutteltown ramp area creating a large cove. Wind was blowing into this new cove area so we decide to troll in there to avoid the 7-10 boats trolling in the area. Good call!!!
Landed our final 8 fish and lost around 10 other fish in the next 1.5 hours. The hot setup(actually the only setup that worked) a pink RG/5" leader/ hammered nickel dodger at 35-40ft. I think we lost so many fish due to the short 5" leader...not enough stretch with only 5" of line, but it was the only way to get them to strike.

Sure was nice to catch some fish after struggling at Oroville the past 2 times out......

5/22: Fished Melones on again with my Dad and Rich. Dropped lines at 8:10 in the same spot we left them on Friday morning. Landed a monster 10" koke that was bleeding. Threw him in the box and continued our search. Fish had vacated the area so we trolled the outter edge of Rose Island and headed south.

Picked up a couple fish here and there but we could not find any concentrations of fish today. We would get two fish pretty quick, circle back around and not get hit again. Had 6 fish in the box after 3 hours so we decided to hit the bridge area.

Got to the bridge and got a nice one in the box within 5 minutes!!!! Worked that area for another hour for a nice holdover trout that was released and a LDR.
The Ladies were waiting for us back home so we decided to start trolling back towards the ramp. Caught another 5 kokes on our way in. Most of them came along the shoreline around the large island that is downstream from the bridge(don't know if this area has a name).

Called it a day at 2:30 with 12 kokes in the box, 1 Rainbow released and 1LDR and a couple other short strikes. Best lure early was a pink RG with 5" leader. End of the day, it was a Apex and spinner bite.....RG did not get touched.

In general, best locations were areas where the wind was blowing into....wind blown shorelines, mouths of coves where wind was blowing into. Made for some rocky situations with the winds this past weekend but it got us into some fish.....most of the fish caught during this trip were about 13.5-14"s. We caught 2 fish that were 15.5".

Heading back in July when the bite will be in full swing....

Bryon

DC18FT
05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Few pics from our trip.....my daughter and I with a few from Friday.....Rich and I with a few from Saturday.....

Bryon

HiTechKoke
05-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Tks for the post Bryon.... I think you have started your young earlier than mine. Melones is looking great this year.

Koke Chaser
05-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Love the pic with your daughter Bryon. Nice job figuring out the bite. You know me as striper9 on other boards.