PDA

View Full Version : Pardee Lake 9-20-08 & 9-21-08 KP Derby Fun

HiTechKoke
09-23-2008, 10:48 PM
The short story:

Went to Pardee... caught some Kokanee.

The longer story.

Fished the Kokanee Power Pardee Derby this last Saturday along with 100+ Kokanee die hards. It was a family affair and the hopes were high to see if would convince the Kokes our lures were worthy.. In the end the bite was a tough one and we didn't see any action until about 2.5 hours into the derby when Rachel scored the first fish. Jenna got one fairly soon after that so the kids had a fish to weigh in.

The interesting part of the derby was that boats started jigging for Kokanee, based on seeing the Tripps doing well... so when in Rome... we followed suit but did not have the right lures and heavy enough ones to get down and stay on the fish. It was fun to observe and give it a shot but after 45 minutes we decided to convert back to trolling. We still needed 3 more for Karla and I in order to weigh this proved to be just as tough as we barely squeezed out 3 in the boat after losing several in a row right at the boat. In the end Jenna managed 2nd place with her fish so she was happy.

The fish were all deep, 95-140 and all of ours came at 95 and 100 and we had pretty much a one rod syndrome that was a RMT Pink Double Glow Hoochie setup with a CBT Mid-Thing in Pink. One other fish came on a RMT UV White Hoochie that I added a custom spinner blade from GDF tackle.

After the derby we learned about the jigging secrets and a few lures were graciously loaned to us for Sunday from the Tripp's and also Khanh Tran of the Backbrace II team. On Sunday we got a later start to let the family sleep in a bit. We eventually got out their and trolled for an hour to mark the schools that were pretty much in the same spot. The fish finder would turn all orange in certain areas from 100 to 130. We then converted to jigging and managed to get 6 Kokes to the boat with Jenna having the hot technique and going 3 for 5 in jigging at 115 feet. I managed 2 fish and Rachel got one too.

On with the pics and video... You can get a bit higher quality though if you click on the links instead and then cilck on the Watch in High Quality links to the right of the video.

Video 1:

Rachel reels in the first fish of the morning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugbp-5cs5Rs

Video 2:

Jenna shows off catching a fish jigging on Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUUI9eoG6sE

Video 3.

Some underwater footage of Kokanee while we were jigging... Youtube made the video darker but you can see the fish in the background. It's the best I can do at 100 feet where light is at a premium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXhu9eL0m84

Now for a few photos...

1. Glum stares at Dad. Where's the fish? What's wrong with you Dad!
2. Smiles are there after they each have a fish to weigh in....should have taken them earlier before they got splotchy.
3. My best fish for Saturday.
4. Jenna's jigged specimen
5. Rachel's nice female Koke.