PDA

View Full Version : Rookie, but not really

MXDAD777
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I am a complete rookie when it comes to Kokanee fishing and downrigger fishing in general. However, I have been fishing since I could walk. I have spent all of my years chasing fish in the rivers, (stripers, salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, shad, etc) I have also done a lot of lake fishing for bass and float tubing for trout. I recently bought 3 Scotty 1101 electrics and have decided to jump into downrigger fishing head first. I am taking my first trip this coming Friday and am going to give em heck for 4 days. Wish me luck.
PS I'm from Northern California and will be fishing Stampede.....any pointers you want to give a rookie trying to catch some kokanee?

kokaneekid
05-25-2010, 05:08 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to fish Northern California yet, but there is a lot of great people who do and they are all here. Sounds like you have all the right gear just need to be pointed in the right direction. This is a great place for that. Good luck fishing this year...

Fish On kokaneekid

Full_Monte
05-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Make sure you can "see" your down rigger balls on the fishfinder by adjusting your transmitter/receiver angle a bit.
You want to be able to avoid hitting the bottom (most of the time). Also, ADJUST YOUR DOWN RIGGER CLUTCHES SO THAT THEY CAN PAY OUT LINE if you hang up on the bottom.
I've heard of some stories of 24 foot fiberglass boats getting capsized with clutches adjusted too tight. Down rigger fishing is a great way to fish, but it will make you a believer in good fish finders, and you will need to keep an eye on the FF most of the time, especially with three balls to track. Good luck, and welcome to down rigger fishing!

HiTechKoke
05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I am a complete rookie when it comes to Kokanee fishing and downrigger fishing in general. However, I have been fishing since I could walk. I have spent all of my years chasing fish in the rivers, (stripers, salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, shad, etc) I have also done a lot of lake fishing for bass and float tubing for trout. I recently bought 3 Scotty 1101 electrics and have decided to jump into downrigger fishing head first. I am taking my first trip this coming Friday and am going to give em heck for 4 days. Wish me luck.
PS I'm from Northern California and will be fishing Stampede.....any pointers you want to give a rookie trying to catch some kokanee?

Welcome aboard and you will catch Kokes at Stampede as it is throwing out great fish. The best tips are to look for the small fleets of boats. The kokes are fairly shallow still in the top 30 feet. If you don't have a contour map it is well worth it to get the Fish-n-map print version to learn the lakes depths and contours.

Definitely report back on your trip.

Kevin
Kevin

HiTechKoke
05-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Forgot some more info.... 10 to 25 feet on your dowrigger.. Use longer setbacks since you are fishing shallow.

Have heard that spinners, radical glo tubes, wiggle hoochies and bugs are productive. When the bite turns off switch up that gear and you may also catch some Macks which are under the kokes so don't be fooled on your fishfinder with the bigger marks down deeper unless you want to target them.

Kevin

sawdustsavage
05-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Good luck on the new adventure. I am in a similar situation lots and lots of river bank fishing but a newbie to the boating downrigger world. I'm still setting up my boat. I went the OLD GUY route and bought a pontoon boat.That presents a few unique problems.
You came to the right place. These guys have been a great help to me. I have recieved tons of great advice101chromefish101

sawdustsavage
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Sorry about all the quotes guys. I just noticed the quick post tab. I am obviously not a posting wizard

MXDAD777
05-27-2010, 01:27 AM
If you don't have a contour map it is well worth it to get the Fish-n-map print version to learn the lakes depths and contours.

Kevin
Kevin

I have a Lowrance LMS 522c with a Navionics Fishing Hot Spots HotMaps card for the Western Region. I believe Stampede is on the card. I have never been to Stampede, but I'm hoping it won't take me too long to figure out the lake. What is the depth of Stampede? Is this going to be one of those 200' deep lakes where I don't have to worry about snagging the bottom, or am I going to be on the bottom trolling for these Kokanee? Thanks to everyone for all of your tips and advice.

skookum9
05-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Sawdustsavage, your boat is fine, you just need to get a trip or two up to Odell in the spring or early summer, you would have a blast. Just be sure to go on a weekend when someone from this forum who knows what they're doing casting jigs is going so they can show you the ropes to get you started and you won't think you boat such a disadvantage anymore.

sawdustsavage
05-27-2010, 04:46 AM
That sounds great, just putting the finishing touches on boat and tackle. Then we will let the fun begin.
Thank you for the input.101goodpost101

jOHN