PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for lakes

Wood2turn
05-24-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm new here so bear with me but I don't even know where to go in Skagit county for koke's. Maybe someone can steer me in a direction?
Don't know what to use either for that matter.

TIA,
Terry B.

RAHFISH
05-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Terry,
A good lake to start on would be Lake Samish which is just off I-5 and S of Bellingham. Myself and 2 friends got our limits last Monday. Nothing big but great eating. It is simple to fish with a basic dodger (size 0000, brass/nickle) and Wedding Ring (green or red) arrangement tipped with some corn or Gulp maggots. We got ours at about 35' of depth and 30 to 50' behind the boat. We were using downriggers but lead line fished slow has worked in the past.

Spend some time reading all the post on this forum and you will get some great info, take it to the lake and experiment. Get some experience and try Lake Shannon (up the Skagit Valley and below Baker Lake)

Good luck and let us know how you do---RAHFISH

MackPrince
05-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Great tip.101goodpost101

lowe1648mt
05-25-2010, 11:26 PM
I have yet to fish Lake Cavenaugh. I talked with a resident of that lake today. He assured me that the fishing was good for koks, rainbow, and bass. The fishing site is on the south east end of the lake. In years past, some of the residents has removed the DNR signs from the site and put up no tresspasing signs. Some people also were using the site to store their trailer for the summer. I don't know if this is still a problem.
I intend to give this lake a try. Also in Whatcom county is lake whatcom. On the south end is a sorry excuse for a launch ramp. How ever the kok fishing is fair, even if the fish average only 10 to 11 inches.

Burlee
05-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I am also a newbie to this kokanee fishing. I hit Samish this AM for my 2nd attempt at getting the little buggers in the boat. Had a limit in a little less than 2 hours trolling green and orange and/or green and black wedding rings tipped with Gulp maggots(white). I was in my little 9 ft pram with an electric motor. No fish finder. No downrigger. Just a 1/2 oz to 1 oz banana wt., followed by a snubber, then a sling blade, then wedding ring.
They were a little small, 9 and 10 inches, all caught within 200 yards of the boat ramp.
This works great when they are shallow like today. I'm sure I'll have to change as the weather warms, or go back to bass fishing.
Getting them into the boat is my biggest challange so far. The snubber seemed to help a little....but I guess I will have to spring for a longer net.