PDA

View Full Version : GP Kokanee Jackpot report 05/22 & 5/23

kokaneekid
05-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Kokaneekid strikes again:

This weekend I decided to spend the weekend in Sweet Home so I could fish both Saturday & Sunday. On Saturday I had my wife Debbie and Dad Chester in my boat. We started the day bright and early down by the dam and it was slow to say the least. At 11:00am I only had 11 kokanee in the boat, way to slow for my blood. We weren’t seeing very many fish by the dam and started to head toward the island. We started to see some numbers of fish east of the island and that is when the fish frenzy started. We ended up with 50 fish and my wife did great helping out with the downriggers in all the chaos. We couldn’t have done it without her.

Sunday my mother in-law and Jerry joined our group. We did some exploring and picked up some bigger fish but never spotted the numbers we saw on Saturday we had to end the day early and ended up with only 25. The fish are scattered and running anywhere from 25 to 50 feet. They are still running 12 to 14 inches, and we had to resort to pulling some magic out of Chester’s tackle box to get our numbers. One thing that worked well was a pink hoochie from R & K. There should be one in every tackle box ok I wished I had more than one in mine.

http://store.kokaneemart.com/prostores/servlet/Categories?category=Manufacturers%3AR+and+K

It was a great weekend that ended up with 75 kokanee and a ton of great memories.

Fish On kokaneekid

eenakoK
05-24-2010, 02:13 AM
awesomereportawesomereport

You have been killing it! Thanks for sharing the pictures and report. You sure have that lake dialed in. That is a whole lot of fish to clean!!

Lip Ripper
05-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Great report that hoochie is a real killer I have been using it for some time. I think I must have 10 in my tackle box. Keep up the good work and ladies great work also. signfishin101chromefish101

eric71m
05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Kokaneekid, I looked for you, I was up there Sunday, fishing by my self, I managed to scratch out 9 from 6 to 3:00, with the last 4 coming the last hour and half...

kokaneekid
05-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Kokaneekid, I looked for you, I was up there Sunday, fishing by my self, I managed to scratch out 9 from 6 to 3:00, with the last 4 coming the last hour and half...

Sorry we missed you Eric, I might not fish next weekend, I'm thinking about just camping with the family no boat. But if the weather looks like crap I might talk the old man into sneaking away to Green Peter for one day. Are you going to fish the Green Peter tournament? If so maybe we can have a drink and exchange fishing information after the weigh in. Looking forward to meeting you.

Fish On kokaneekid

eric71m
05-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Sorry we missed you Eric, I might not fish next weekend, I'm thinking about just camping with the family no boat. But if the weather looks like crap I might talk the old man into sneaking away to Green Peter for one day. Are you going to fish the Green Peter tournament? If so maybe we can have a drink and exchange fishing information after the weigh in. Looking forward to meeting you.

Fish On kokaneekid

I was thinking about fishing the tournament!!! This weekend the wife and I are, or were (up for discussion) had reservations at Trapper Creek at Odell, but from the sounds of things they may not open Trapper this weekend... and... with the weather reports, we may end up staying home and making a day trip or two to GP??? who knows, its only Monday, and things change fast... hopefully the weather does too... love them jumpers at Odell

river hunter
05-24-2010, 03:20 PM
hey kokaneekid, nice to meet ya this past weekend. sat was a soso day for us, we got 12. but sunday like you said was a complete bomb. we only scratched out one koke an a bow

kokaneekid
05-25-2010, 09:07 AM
hey kokaneekid, nice to meet ya this past weekend. sat was a soso day for us, we got 12. but sunday like you said was a complete bomb. we only scratched out one koke an a bow

What part of the lake did you fish?

river hunter
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
What part of the lake did you fish?

we fished southwestern corner of the island, thats where we got the two at. tried everything i had, hootchies/custom wedding rings/dodgers/lake trolls/ then talked to a guy that was in a camo duck boat, guess he was a rep for GI Joes, he gave us a few new lures that he was knocking em dead on, forgot what its called but i know its gonna be in the nexted issue of northwest sportsman. they have a double sided plastic blade with a 1" squid body on em.

ill probly go there again monday

on those apexs you use, do you pull em behind a dodger/wedding ring? or just by em self?

kokaneekid
05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
on those apexs you use, do you pull em behind a dodger/wedding ring? or just by em self?

I was using downriggers.... I had them behind a Sling Blade. I like the UV ones but I had four different colors going on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a great day for the Apex and pink R & K hoochies, but Sunday I only got a hand full with that set up, we had to resort to dads one of a kind lures that he has doctored up. Are you long lining or do you have downriggers?

river hunter
05-25-2010, 05:44 PM
ive got a set of down riggers on the boat, but im starting to get to the point to where there getting to be a pain in the butt especially when your "stack" the line. i need to upgrade to the electrics

fishinfrenzy
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Looking at all the posts, looks like some good fishin your direction. You'll really like electric downriggers. I've been using "cannon" sets on my boat for about five years without any problems. Curious about you limits in what looks like Calif., in Wyo.(Flaming Gorge) limit is three kokes, some of Utah is four. Only thing good about that is it means I get more fishin trips.

kokaneekid
05-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Looking at all the posts, looks like some good fishin your direction. You'll really like electric downriggers. I've been using "cannon" sets on my boat for about five years without any problems. Curious about you limits in what looks like Calif., in Wyo.(Flaming Gorge) limit is three kokes, some of Utah is four. Only thing good about that is it means I get more fishin trips.

I take lot of fishing trips I just fill my freezer faster with a 25 per person limit. Plus at a 4 to 3 fish limit that would be the fastest fishing trip in the world I would hate to get my boat in the water and then 1 hour later leave the lake. You should try some Oregon fishing….. 4 verses 25 = 6.25 fishing trips to my one that is a lot of weekends. Unless the fish are 3 to 5 pounds then that is a different story and if that is the story let me know what lake so I can read it.

Fish On kokaneekid

Cannon
05-26-2010, 11:58 AM
When we get this early season cold weather and rain/snow, try fishing shallower like we were a month or so ago. I think you will find in most cases that the fish will be moving back up the water column because of the warmer water near the surface. With the wind stirring up the top, you get an oxygen rich environment which is great for zoo plankton reproduction. Once the sun finally comes out next month, (I HOPE) the fish will move back down to the thermocline and hang there partially because that is where the greatest amount of oxygen is and that in turn provides the best environment for the zoo plankton that the kokanee target. 2cents2cents2cents

kokaneekid
05-26-2010, 12:08 PM
ive got a set of down riggers on the boat, but im starting to get to the point to where there getting to be a pain in the butt especially when your "stack" the line. i need to upgrade to the electrics

If you are using down riggers than stick with the Sling Blade use a short leader from the Sling Blade to your lure 6 to 8 inches. If you are using something with action on it like a Apex then you need more leader 18 to 24 inches. I would also get some electric down riggers. I have cannon electric down riggers and love them I think my arm would have fallen off if I didn't have them or maybe I would be getting shoulder surgery in the near future. When the bite is on you have to bring them up and down to many times not to have electric.

fishinfrenzy
05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
I take lot of fishing trips I just fill my freezer faster with a 25 per person limit. Plus at a 4 to 3 fish limit that would be the fastest fishing trip in the world I would hate to get my boat in the water and then 1 hour later leave the lake. You should try some Oregon fishing….. 4 verses 25 = 6.25 fishing trips to my one that is a lot of weekends. Unless the fish are 3 to 5 pounds then that is a different story and if that is the story let me know what lake so I can read it.

Fish On kokaneekid

There are two lakes here, Strawberrry resevoir, (Utah) and Flaming Gorge (Wyoming/ Utah). I haven't fished Strawberry much, mostly the Gorge. The fish in the Gorge were brought in from Strawberry. We let two pounders go and keep the threes and fours, once in awhile into fives. I guess maybe thats the difference in location limits. We usually go to the upper side Wyoming only because the bigger fish seem to be up there more towards the north end.(Buckbaord Marina) I'm planning on being there this weekend, let you know what we get into. Anyone else out there going to the Gorge as well?

kokaneekid
05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm planning on being there this weekend, let you know what we get into. Anyone else out there going to the Gorge as well?

I'm not going to the Gorge anytime soon I only wish it was a short drive. I'll have to stick with the Oregon lakes for now. I might go with my dad to Wallowa lake in June then I'll get a taste of what a really big kokanee is all about. But for this weekend I'm thinking about going back to Green Peter of one day, I'm still talking with Chester to see if it works out. Good luck on your fishing advertures

Fish On kokaneekid

Lip Ripper
05-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Another great day at GP nice weather and good fishing. The old pink hoochie let me down today I had to go to my old reliable lour. I tried several colors with no luck but my favorite lour kept them coming in wile I was experimenting with the other pole. I did get 25 nice ones I had to work for the last few. signfishin101chromefish101

river hunter
05-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Another great day at GP nice weather and good fishing. The old pink hoochie let me down today I had to go to my old reliable lour. I tried several colors with no luck but my favorite lour kept them coming in wile I was experimenting with the other pole. I did get 25 nice ones I had to work for the last few. signfishin101chromefish101

nice, glad to hear that. was it the one you where telling me about? blue or chartreuse

kokaneekid
05-28-2010, 12:10 PM

Are they still running 12 - 14 inches... And I wish I could fish it during the week like you do.... Lucky Lucky...thumbsup

Lip Ripper
05-28-2010, 06:12 PM
They are about the same length and getting wider every day. I will be sure to put in the dip net next time. It is nice during the week alright but still there are a lot of boats. But all of the fisher men that I have talked to are very kind and polite. All of your good fishermen are very polite at the ramp and are ready to launch and get out of the way for others. This is what I call a true sportsman. Have a great Holiday and be safe and ware your life jackets.

river hunter
05-29-2010, 12:22 AM
debating on whether or not to hit gp tomorrow, might just bypass thistle launch and hit the next one up the road to avoid some of the crowd..

kokaneekid
05-29-2010, 01:00 PM
debating on whether or not to hit gp tomorrow, might just bypass thistle launch and hit the next one up the road to avoid some of the crowd..

Let me know how you do..... I'll send you a pictures of my down rigger flash set up tonight. Good luck I hope you hammer'em.

Fish On kokaneekid

river hunter
05-30-2010, 02:15 AM
we boated 9 kokes, lost another 5 or so, after some screwing around trying to figure out what they wanted, we settled on a uv pink hoochie with a few beads in front an a no.3 hammered nickle colorado blade, got the majority of our fish with the down rigger set at 40 and the stacker set at 30, the hot spot was SW of the island bout 100 or so yards off shore. seemed to me like the kokes where schooled up? cause every time we made a pass would would get a tail slap or a fish on.

the fish are starting to get fat and deep in the shoulders, ill be going back out tomorrow morning but taking my smaller 12' boat, if ya see a old school camo paint job on a small boat, that will be me.

i tried the uv pink apex for about a hour of fishing but no grabs, i talked to a friend about the problem i was having with the apexes spinning on me with em being 2' behind the sling blade, problem solved.

skookum9
05-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Mosd, I am curious what was causing the Apexes to spin on you. What did you deduce? Did it have to do with the length of leader or what?

river hunter
05-30-2010, 01:18 PM
skoo, im thinking it was that the double hooks where in two close to the apex. thats my theory anyways.

well i tried going out this morning, but my darned 2 stroke didnt wanna idle, an sure as heck didnt wanna do a carb rebuild out in the middle of the lake. but going back out this afternoon with big boat an seeing how the bit is in the evening.

that campground with the boat launch just past thistle cr launch sure is nice and not all abit crowded what so ever. think if i start getting there late like i did today, instead of launching at thistle ill goto that campground instead.

howd everyone do this morning? what was the magic lure?