PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Alder Lake

eenakoK
05-23-2010, 04:01 AM
I got to Alder lake this morning to try and see how it was going. I got to the ramp and launched the boat. The engine started right up and I was letting it warm up. I attempted to put it into reverse and it felt like it went, but the boat didn't move. I tried to get it back into neutral and the shifter wouldn't budge. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to move.

At this point, I thought I would try to at least get the kicker started and use that. I tried and tried to start it and it wouldn't start for anything. At this point we decided to bag it and take off. I didn't think about it earlier, but I cannot raise my motor unless it is in forward. I hoped that if I buried the trailer far enough, I could get the boat onto the trailer. Luckily for me, the trailer is on rollers (makes it higher) and I was able to leave the motor in the down position and not kill the lower unit. (It didn't even touch)

I get the boat back to my house and notice that the bearing buddy I just installed is missing.. At this point, I was like what else can happen.. I got the boat up to my dads house and we start troubleshooting the problems. the wheel, the bearings were shot, we replaced them and everything is good on the trailer now.. The kicker (8hp Johnson) had fowled plugs, and the gap was way too large. We cleaned the spark plugs off and fixed the gap and the engine started right up, but then shut off and we couldn't keep it going. The carb was just leaking gas, seems like it doesn't shut when it needs to. My dad is going to look at that this week.

The Engine.. Long story short.. I need to replace the controls.. Anyone know where I can get a old Merc control box?

Sorry to bore you, but that was my fishing adventure this weekend. I have said that I will always post my weekly trips.. I am hoping to get the kicker back up and going, I will be at clear this weekend if it is fixed. Good luck to you all!

smokin' Kokes
05-23-2010, 02:31 PM
to keep the Bearing Buddys on, drill and tap a hole in the rim of the hub to put an #10 stainless steel short bolt thru to lock the BB in. they vibrate out from the road tire pounding
or wipe the rim of the BB and the inside of the hub mounting surface clean with acetone, put on dry with threadlocker.

try your local marine outboard motor shops, the older ones especially tend to keep parts pulls from boat/motor upgrades

eenakoK
05-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Thank you! That is a great idea. I will do that after I pick up another set :)

I found the control box that I need. There are a lot of old shops on the internet!