PDA

View Full Version : Backtrolling vs. bucket dragging

Full_Monte
09-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Has anyone tried backtrolling to get lower trolling speeds? I'm wondering what kind of difference it makes on the speed. Do you have to move downriggers or any pole holders to make it work correctly?

AFDan52
09-23-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm not very sure about this , but I don't believe that I have ever heard of back trolling in this area. I have heard of it , just not around here .

Full_Monte
09-23-2008, 10:05 AM
The theory is that if you put your boat in reverse, you are pushing the square end of the boat through the water, making it go slower than in forward gear.
I think they do this for Muskie fishing.

MackPrince
09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
I use a trolling plate on my 8hp. It helps control the speed while allowing for smooth steering and it lets the bow break the waves instead of getting splash from the stern. Several local boats pull sea anchors or buckets, but I've only seen back trolling on the rivers.

HiTechKoke
09-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Definitely something I have not seen done for Kokanee trolling... no reason why it wouldn't work I guess but you would get some interesting looks I think. I see a lot of trolling plates and buckets used to slow down the trolls for those with too much speed.

SilverBullets
10-03-2008, 11:14 AM
I have only seen this done while kokanee fishing once last year. I have since gotten to know the owner of the boat, and asked him about it. We were jigging at the time, and what he does is fish towards the back of his boat (was alone) and to stay over the fish on his fish finder, he backtrolls. He is very good at this, and limits out always. I've never tried it myself, and probably never will. I use a bow mounted Minn Kota to stay over the fish when jigging. As far as trolling speeds, both the Yamaha's on the back (25hp & 4hp 4-stroke) troll down great for koks. I fish alot with Apex lures, and like a speed of 1.4-1.6 for the way I have them rigged. When other lures are being used, I generally like a speed of 1.0-1.2 or so. Like previously mentioned, a trolling plate might be the way to go to get to the right speed where you fish.

Full_Monte
10-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Great answers! I think the conclusion here is that Phil Johnson was correct...being creative is the secret to becoming a great Koke fisherman.
It sounds like backtrolling might have an application here. You guys are a great help!

DuckHead
10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
I druggin' 2 buckets and have my fat old lady in the boat helps slow the boat downstomper

TopFuelKokanee
10-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey DuckHead, welcome to KFF.
How big ol' buckets you use?

DuckHead
10-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey DuckHead, welcome to KFF.
How big ol' buckets you use?

shes about the size of a buick dealership.

oh wait you said bucket. i use 2 5gl buckets wraped togeather with ducttape

Petty4life
10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
shes about the size of a buick dealership.

oh wait you said bucket. i use 2 5gl buckets wraped togeather with ducttape

Dude thats funny right therelaugh hystlaugh hystlaugh hyst