PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa 5/21/10

SuperD
05-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Has lines in the water a little before 7:00 a.m. Wind condition was light breeze and water temp. 65°. I met up with my buddy, Frank at Markley Cove and headed for skiers cove. Within 15 minutes, we had both hooked up and lost fish at the back of the boat. This turned out to be a jinx we had difficulty shacking. In the next 2 hours, we were sitting at 2 for 7 and thought we were the worst koke fishermen on the water, never mind that we were hooking up more frequently the others. We were just off to a bad but good start. About 9:45, the wind turned pretty violent and blew us off the main body of the lake into the narrows. We had never fished for kokes in the narrows so it was a little blind leading the blind. Low and behold, we stared hooking up and actually landing them. 40' otw was our most productive depth today. One of my blue spinners, pink splatter hootchie and a purple rgt were our best lures. I had to catch 2 limits to actually put my limit in the boat but it was a very successful day. Small fish was 14" and the others were 16" & 17".

HiTechKoke
05-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Good report... the funny thing is the narrows is so under fished it is days where you get blown back to it and catch fish that make you wonder why people don't fish it more. How far back in did you fish it?

Last year on a pre-fish day prior to the Berryessa derby I decided to target it from Pleasure Cove to the mouth and no surprise I ended up catching Kokanee around the coves. Of course after the skier's come out it pointless so it seems to serve as the protection zone for Kokanee IMO since it gets left alone.

Kevin

SuperD
05-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Kevin, the winds had white caps coming into the mouth at the narrows so we fished from the break point where the white caps subsided to about 1/2 - 3/4 into the narrows and then back to the break point at the mouth. The north side seemed to be better for us.

gon troln
05-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Way to brave the wind. It can be brutal up there. Thanks for the update.

S.S. Fireball
05-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Rather than post a new thread, I figured I'd just update this one with my trip.

I was on Berryessa Saturday fishing solo. Two kings for my effort, two more hookups that were gone before I could get a glimpse and one check in with DFG.

Both kings were caught in the flats west and north of skiers cove, on a white fruit salad doger, blue hootchie tipped with corn, 30 feet deep with pro cure carp spit.

It was a test run for my new HDS-5 sounder. It's amazing.

Keep those reports coming!

JD