PDA

View Full Version : What do you like for clear coat?

SuperD
05-20-2010, 04:53 PM
What are you guys using for a clear coat top coat?

SilverBullets
05-20-2010, 08:15 PM
I dip my jigs in Seal-Coat lure and jig finish by Component Systems. Other lures I use Krylon clear acrylic spray. The UV Flash you mentioned will be on my next order. Be sure the top coat is compatible with the paints your useing...test it first (don't ask me how I know that.)laugh hyst

SuperD
05-20-2010, 08:52 PM
That's why I am asking. The UV spray is wrinkling my finish.

SilverBullets
05-20-2010, 11:00 PM
That's why I am asking. The UV spray is wrinkling my finish.

What kind of paint are you useing? What kind of thinner cleans it up? Is the UV spray made by Component Systems? I'm no expert, but from my limited experiance the Component Systems paints and seal coats are compatible, but other paints I've used are not. The thinner the Component Systems paint and seal coat uses is some nasty stuff...methyl isobutyl ketone and xylene.
What I've done is spray an acrylic clear coat on, let dry thoroughly, then finish off with a coat of the Component Systems seal coat. Another thing you might try with the top coat spray your useing is to put a VERY light coat on first...alot of times with non compatible stuff a light seal coat needs to be done first. I've used black felt pens on lures to add tiger strips and dots and this needs a very light spray at first also to seal the marks, otherwise if you go too heavy with the spray at first the felt pen marks will run.
The Component Systems seal coat will lift tapes...works it's way underneth the edges. Spray with the clear acrylic (very lightly at first) a few times to seal up the edges of the tape, let dry thoroughly, then finish with the Component Systems seal coat...this seal coat is a one step epoxy (extremely durable.)

Silver Streak
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
I like Dick Nites clear coat, BUT it is a little touchy at times and storing can be another problem.