PDA

View Full Version : New product specifically for kokes

kodiak1
05-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Turner's here in Boise (State St.) has a new product called Pautzke's Balls of Fire Kokanee Fuel. I went in to buy some more Pautzke's Nectar, and saw this. It is the same "soak" that is used in their Fire Corn. The guides over at Chelan Lake in Wash., and many of the guys that have been catching the record kokes in Wallowa Lake have switched from regular shoepeg to Fire Corn. I have had good results with the Nectar, but this has krill in it, as does the Fire Corn. It comes in two colors, red and orange. I have used the red in their Nectar, and it turns the corn pink. Can't have too much pink for those guys! Going to give it a try today at Lucky Peak. Should be just the ticket!!! Have any of you tried it yet? Mike

Kokanee Vandal
05-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Haven't heard of it but it sounds like it would work. Last year I switched from corn to berkely gulp maggots and my catch rate went way up. Maybe a combo would work out. I go by Turner's all of time. I'll stop in and see if the grumpy (but cool) fella there has any in stock.

MMDON
05-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't give you 2 cents for Firecorn. While Pautzkes has made good products in the past, this one doesn't fly with me. 101noway101

Seems like someone is spamming Pautzkes on almost every board I read. 101thumbsdown101

If I want ads I'll check out the site sponsors first. 101whocares101

SilverBullets
05-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Since Firecorn has been on the market I haven't read too many positive reports. I carry it on the boat mainly for emergencies in case I ever forget to bring my scented Shoepeg. The kernels just look too large...seems like they could have an adverse effect on the action of alot of lures. I think if I ever had to use it I'd cut the kernels in half. I've used the Pautzke Nectar and Krill Gel with great results and wouldn't hesitate to give the Balls of Fire Kokanee Fuel a try sometime.

MMDON
05-19-2010, 11:27 PM
I was probably a bit to rough on Kodiak but opening up with an ad for a company that isn't a site sponsor isn't very fair to the people who pay the freight for all of us to enjoy this site. If you think they have a great product then you should contact them to advertise. Now if someone asks for your favorite bait or scent or you were posting it on a board where that conversation was taking place it would be different in my alleged mind!

I'm just sayin.

Don

kodiak1
05-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Guess I am a little confused, MMM. You accuse me of shilling for Pautzkes. I simply saw a new product and thought I would share it with the crew. I have no connections with the company. Please tell me how this differs with your recent posts where you promote the Black Box, Smelly Jelly, Buck's Bags, and Fishstalker Ent., to name a few. I went up to L. P. and tested the product this evening, but now don't dare mention the results. Mike

MMDON
05-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Um, I guess because maybe I posted a corresponding post to a previously started thread on a relevant subject or question by the original poster?

I don't care if you have a stake in the product or not. Starting out a post with an ad seems strange. Stranger still when you have no interest and have not tested the product yourself? Since you posted it on a state report board rather than the tackle or general board I guess I missed the point? I'm a member of quite a few boards. I've seen a lot of promotion for Pautzkes lately on different boards by single posters. Maybe that just struck me as odd . . .

skookum9
05-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Kodiak1, your post was fine in my book. I read it as you've said, just a fisherman sharing something new that he had stumbled upon and asking if anyone else had seen or tried it. Perhaps it should have been in the general tackle thread instead of the Idaho fishing report thread but since you live in Idaho I would think this would not be unacceptable but just a case of not knowing where best to start at. I can understand not wanting to read through a bunch of ads and promotions on this site but I didn't see your post as anything of the sort. Good luck with your new Pautske's. I don't use bait much myself but I wouldn't mind hearing your report on it and your fishing.

kodiak1
05-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks Skookum for your understanding. I always get excited about new products and half the fun of kokanee fishing is trying that newest lure, bait, attractor or scent. I personally have had poor luck with the Fire Corn. However, my inital use of the scent has produced good results. I have never been totally convinced that just plain old shoepeg doesn't work about as well. I learned years ago that when comparing lures, etc. while trolling is often compromised by placement. In other words, I discovered that the shorter of the trolled presentations catches the fish 70-90% of the time. We were taking a youngster trout fishing with us at Cascade for the big ones in the fall, and I would leave his rig about 15 feet shorter than the other two. He would catch almost every fish. Once he came close to limiting, I would drop him back beyond our lines, and the whole thing reversed. Some people would make the assumption that the one lure was outproducing the others. Not so. Mike

gonefishing
05-20-2010, 09:52 PM
I already tried these this year already. The corn is a little large. The only benefit I could really find was that the corn is pretty tough and stays on the hook, a long , long time. I caught a few kokes using this product. I have done just as well with plain old white sweet corn.

I bought the Kokane fuel / red, also. Other than the krill scent, this product is kind of nasty. Drop some on your boat, especially if you have white or cream colored fiberglass, and instant stain. Mine came out with high quality treatment with a high speed drill.

The benefit of this item is, if you are in a lake where the kokes feed on the shrimp, they are light pink and you can soak your corn with the red koke fuel, getting the light pink color and krill scent on your corn. that is a plus.

After the first 3 days of using this product, I went and purchased some pink gulp maggots. Less mess, same effectiveness.

My overall assesment of the Pautzky fire Corn, on a score of 1-10 was a 6. On the Koke Fuel, a 4. Just my opinion. Messy.

Any one around I.F. want some to try, I have 2 extra bottle to donate. Send me an e-mail. You might like it.

MMDON
05-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Well since we're talking corn, though I am not affiliated with Procure in any way I recommend Kokanee Killer Korn Magic and Kokanee Killer Korn Dye to make up great batches of Shoe Peg corn of which I'm not affiliated either. (Wink) We use it all winter ice fishing as well as all summer trolling. The nice thing about the combo is it can sit in the fridge for 3 months and never go bad. Note: Any scent can be added to that combo for a very effective bait!

Now I do use Smelly Jelly but I'm a huge fan of Pro Cure and Berkeley's as well. I should probably own stock in all three!

First of all I offer my apologies for jumping to conclusions Kodiak. As for your list, Black Boxes, I thought that might help people who couldn't afford the high quality equipment I run. My riggers are Cannon Digitroll IV's. They have dial control PIC which allows me to adjust the current on the wire and run them at any setting as they automatically track the bottom contours with their own transducer. Fishstalker Enterprises is kind of a pun on the fishing board I own, a large West Coast Fishing Forum by the way. Fishstalker is a great friend and made the pike hooks for all of his friends as a Christmas present. Bucks Boats. I own one but haven't dusted it off in 8 years as you see my sled in my Avatar. I thought I would encourage newbies to get out any way they can and catch Kokes. I know I was glad I did.

Once again, my sincere apologies.

Don

kodiak1
05-21-2010, 01:10 AM
No need to apologize, Don, but thanks for the gesture. Let's call this hatchet officially buried!! Good fishing. Mike

gonefishing
05-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Only one I could find was on Cabela's Web site. Any ideas. Any close to the I.F area.

I have new electic down riggers / Walker, so I am going to ad the box. I am intreaged. Read up on this last night and the science is solid.

MMDON
05-22-2010, 01:27 AM
I think Pro Troll sells them directly as well. The science is good. It makes a huge difference to those especially with a "hot" boat. The first thing to do is to get a voltage meter and set it on 12 volts. Put the red lead on your down rigger wire and the black lead onto the hull of your boat if it's aluminum and if your boat is glass put the black lead onto the negative post of your battery. If you read .75 volts or higher you have a hot boat and your Down Rigger Wires could be pushing fish out of your trolling pattern. The cause of this can be bad wiring, grounding wires to the aluminum hull, a big no no as it can cause galvanic corrosion where the current eats up your boat, bad or corroded zincs on your outboard motors or boat hull as well as other problems. If you are at .75 or under then it comes down to having a reading that actually attracts fish. I posted a list earlier but here it is again. You should check your readings periodically throughout the day as they will change with the change in mineral content in the water which varies from location to location in the same lake.

SPECIES VOLTAGE
Chinook (King) Salmon .600 volts
Coho (Silver) Salmon .650 volts
Sockeye Salmon .750 volts
Kokanee Salmon .650 volts (Mine .58)
Halibut .450 volts *
Macs .650 volts
Rainbow & Brown Trout .650 volts
Cutthroat Trout .650 volts

I tend to like voltages slightly less than Pro Trolls listed voltages. 101idea101

skookum9
05-22-2010, 02:03 AM
I know that Wholesale Sport's over here in Oregon carries them. At least they do in the Salem store. I think they were somewhere around the 80 dollar mark.

SilverBullets
05-22-2010, 05:16 PM
The black box Cabela's sells is the Pro-Troll... Cabela's just puts their name on it and charges around $30 more than Wholesale Sports. The wire connector plugs that come with the unit are pretty light weight (break easy) if you plan on disconnecting to stow your riggers while in transit. Check out Radio Shack for some quick disconnect plugs if you have problems...the one's I installed have worked out great for the last few years.

MMDON
05-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Good info SB! I'll have to add that to the FAQ's at home. (Wink)

sportfish
05-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Turner's here in Boise (State St.) has a new product called Pautzke's Balls of Fire Kokanee Fuel. I went in to buy some more Pautzke's Nectar, and saw this. It is the same "soak" that is used in their Fire Corn. The guides over at Chelan Lake in Wash., and many of the guys that have been catching the record kokes in Wallowa Lake have switched from regular shoepeg to Fire Corn. I have had good results with the Nectar, but this has krill in it, as does the Fire Corn. It comes in two colors, red and orange. I have used the red in their Nectar, and it turns the corn pink. Can't have too much pink for those guys! Going to give it a try today at Lucky Peak. Should be just the ticket!!! Have any of you tried it yet? Mike

I've experimented with FC at Ririe all of last season, and on my first trip out (5/19). I'll run shoepeg on one drigger and firecorn on the other. Honestly, seems to be no real difference. I've been nailing them on both each time out! I'll clarify that - the natural colors have worked well, the pink/purple color hasn't produced squat. Caught 11 Wednesday evening and strangely they were all probably third years as they were larger than usual. Pretty neat.

MMDON
05-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the report! Hopefully we'll get some good weather to go along with the hot bite and large Kokes!

I've noticed that we have great size Kokes this year again. Nice to see the sizes stay up above 12"!

gonefishing
05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
The black box Cabela's sells is the Pro-Troll... Cabela's just puts their name on it and charges around $30 more than Wholesale Sports. The wire connector plugs that come with the unit are pretty light weight (break easy) if you plan on disconnecting to stow your riggers while in transit. Check out Radio Shack for some quick disconnect plugs if you have problems...the one's I installed have worked out great for the last few years.

Great. Thanks for the Info. Of course my wife said, more stuff for the Boat???? YEP!tongue2

redmanjr1
06-15-2010, 12:28 AM
I think Pro Troll sells them directly as well. The science is good. It makes a huge difference to those especially with a "hot" boat. The first thing to do is to get a voltage meter and set it on 12 volts. Put the red lead on your down rigger wire and the black lead onto the hull of your boat if it's aluminum and if your boat is glass put the black lead onto the negative post of your battery. If you read .75 volts or higher you have a hot boat and your Down Rigger Wires could be pushing fish out of your trolling pattern. The cause of this can be bad wiring, grounding wires to the aluminum hull, a big no no as it can cause galvanic corrosion where the current eats up your boat, bad or corroded zincs on your outboard motors or boat hull as well as other problems. If you are at .75 or under then it comes down to having a reading that actually attracts fish. I posted a list earlier but here it is again. You should check your readings periodically throughout the day as they will change with the change in mineral content in the water which varies from location to location in the same lake.

SPECIES VOLTAGE
Chinook (King) Salmon .600 volts
Coho (Silver) Salmon .650 volts
Sockeye Salmon .750 volts
Kokanee Salmon .650 volts (Mine .58)
Halibut .450 volts *
Macs .650 volts
Rainbow & Brown Trout .650 volts
Cutthroat Trout .650 volts

I tend to like voltages slightly less than Pro Trolls listed voltages. 101idea101

This may be a stupid question but can the voltage check be performed out of the water (in my driveway)? I'd like to know my situation before I go out the next time and possibly take corrective action.
Thanks,
Bob

MMDON
06-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Sorry. You have to have the DR Wires in water to check the voltage. Also be aware that the voltage may change from one end of the lake to the other as well as different times of day and it will definitely change on different lakes. It has to do with the conductivity of the mineral percentages in the water. I take a reading every hour.

redmanjr1
06-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Okay, thought so. Thanks for the help.