PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report for Buckboard area May 15-16

Vance Staplin
05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
We fished the Villa derby on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was tough until we finally discovered fish north of Buckboard in the afternoon. What I think we really found is that the fish are were in the top 12 feet of water and we were fishing too deep.

Saturday we boated about a dozen fish (most in the afternoon) between Kokanee, Rainbows and a few small lakers. Best terminal gear by far was a Little Slim Willie Chartreuse flasher with a prototype Chartreuse Rumblefish spinner. This set up caught two thirds of the fish. This is normal this time of year when the fish are shallow and spread out because the vibration and flash of flashers/Pop gear attracts fish from farther distances than dodgers.

The other fish were caught on Speckled Pink/Silver and Speckled Orange/Silver Dodgers with Pink,Orange and Blue Pink Size 1 (very small) Sockeye Slammers.

Sunday we fished from 5:45 a.m. until 11:45. We didn't keep an exact count but I can honestly say a conservative figure of fish caught and released was better than 20 fish. The fish were primarily Kokanee and Rainbows with a few small 2 to 3 pound lakers. All fish were caught shallower than 15 feet. The largest Kokanee was 2.9 Plus pounds(didn't way it in myself so I can't remember the exact weight) which was just out of the money(Derby pays to 5th place) so we didn't sign it in.

Gear? Pretty much the same as Saturday. Little Slim Willie Chartreuse Flashers with Prototype Rumblefish Spinners caught a little better than half the fish. The others were caught on Pink/silver, Chartreuse/silver and Orange/silver Speckled series dodgers fallowed by size 1 (small) Sockeye Slammers. We found that the Silver series out fished Nickel and even copper dodgers because the fish were so shallow in clear bright/sunny conditions. I feel this is consistent and basically normal.

When the fish get deeper and it is possible to use Cannonball flashers this will change over to Dodgers.

Looking forward to coming back and fish the Buckboard derby in a few weeks.

Love being at the Gorge!!!

Vance Staplin

froggie
05-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the report Vance...Tortuga & I are quite excited about our upcoming 1st trip to the Gorge in mid June!!
Froggie

Bduck
05-19-2010, 09:44 AM
For those that have never visited the Gorge, take in time to check out the sites in the surrounding area. You won't be disappointed. Brochures can be obtained from the US Forest service in Manila, Ut. History about the surrounding area, touring the Gorge by boat is a beauty by itself, and a tour inside the dam. Don't forget your camera. Be Safe. Thanks Vance for the awesome report. Purchased 2 spiral rods from you at the SLC ISE this year and love the way they performed. Can't wait to get them on the Gorge for some reel fishing.

Vance Staplin
05-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi Bduck,

I'm coming back with my kids to fish the Buckboard derby. I planned on taking them on a boat trip down the lake to show them the canyon. I'm certain they would be very interested in a tour of the dam. Do you know where I can get some information on the tours?

I spoke with Russ Faught from Fisherman's Friend in Lodi yesterday morning around 10:00 your time. He is fishing the Buckboard area and said the fishing was good yesterday morning but they were blown off the water around 9:00 a.m. He was hoping the wind would subside and they would get another shot at it in the late afternoon. He said most all of the Kokanee and Rainbows are still in top 15 feet so flashers with spinners and spoons should still be out producing Dodgers.

Your going to love those Spiral wrapped rods!

Thanks,

Vance

Bduck
05-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Vance. PM sent.

gon troln
05-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Yep, I have two of those rods and love em!

froggie
05-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Yup, Tortuga has 2 of them and I replaced the one that was stolen with another one. We love them here on Melones.
Froggie

Kokaholic
05-19-2010, 11:12 PM
It was good to see you Vance. Wish I could have talked with you more

wkokaneeman
05-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Hey Vance;

Great report! looking forward to my trip there in 2 weeks.we will be fishing the Buckboard Derby has well.we'll have to visit while there.my partner just had his trailer delivered there on Wednesday,there,and waiting for our arrival.will probably tow his boat out on the 6th.i'll be lookin for ya.see ya then!

Warren

Vance Staplin
05-20-2010, 11:43 PM
It was good to see you Vance. Wish I could have talked with you more

I was thinking the same thing. The weekend flew by so fast and me staying in Manila made it tough. Hopefully their will be more time for "fish story's" at the Buckboard Derby.

I'm bringing my kids back and plan on staying an extra day or possibly two.

Warren,

The Buckboard derby is a kick, lot's of people and lot's of fish. The guys from California that wait till after the derby to go back are missing out.

Look forward to seeing you back there. Drive careful and carry a spare. Last year I needed mine.

Vance

froggie
05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Can't wait, only 26 more days. Yippee. And yeah, we're getting new trailer tires and new bearings & extras!!!
Froggie

Vance Staplin
05-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Can't wait, only 26 more days. Yippee. And yeah, we're getting new trailer tires and new bearings & extras!!!
Froggie

Hi Froggie,

You can't play it too safe on these long trips. On this past trip my partner came over with his new/used boat. He asked his mechanic to check the wheel bearings and was told they were "ok". Well, just has he was getting ready to turn into Buckboard, his left rear trailer tire passed him....on his left.

Be careful on your trip back.

Vance

SuperD
05-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi Froggie,

You can't play it too safe on these long trips. On this past trip my partner came over with his new/used boat. He asked his mechanic to check the wheel bearings and was told they were "ok". Well, just has he was getting ready to turn into Buckboard, his left rear trailer tire passed him....on his left.

Be careful on your trip back.

Vance
One of the keys to Vance's lesson is to be paranoid enough to check the hubs for heat and the tires for wear at all gas / food stops. Trailer brakes were my undoing on a Gorge trip. If your boat trailer doesn't have brakes you'll have one less thing to worry about.

Vance Staplin
05-25-2010, 09:14 AM
One of the keys to Vance's lesson is to be paranoid enough to check the hubs for heat and the tires for wear at all gas / food stops. Trailer brakes were my undoing on a Gorge trip. If your boat trailer doesn't have brakes you'll have one less thing to worry about.

Hi Dave,

You are 100% right on checking the heat of the hubs. The wild thing here is they checked the hubs in Green River when they stopped to get gas and they were cool. The wheel came off the spindle (over the axle nut) just before they were to turn into the Buckboard exit some 20 plus miles later. When checking wheels it is always good to grab the tires and rock them front and back opposite sides to see if the bearing is loose.

In this case he had drum brakes so they should be cool. Trailers with disc brakes can have very hot hubs if you have been braking a lot which is normal because the heat from the rotors transferres through the hub.

Vance

sambo
06-08-2010, 01:35 AM
vance, your the man, thanks for all your help getting me geared up for my first trip! any current depths and reports for june? ill be there from june 19-25th see ya sambo

Vance Staplin
06-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi Sambo,

We will be fishing the Buckboard derby. I'm staying at a friends house in Manila, if he has internet access I will post what we are catching fish on,depth, speed, etc.

Vance

sambo
06-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Perfect!! kick butt in the derby! let me know how you all did!!fishing report is much needed!!! thanks bud sambo

sambo
07-07-2010, 01:18 AM
We finally got to fish the f/g! had a great time, buckboard was a cool place to stay(a little in the middle of no where) caught many fish,had a great time,had great weather too. thanks vance for the info, if I was to stay another week I would have done much better than I did tho. I belive the lake is a month behind, the kokes are not schooled up yet, at least as for 2 weeks ago. and a ton of macs!! they have to be chashing the kokes around alot! any how been there done it, I would like to return one day,hope to, see ya out in the water peace love sambo