PDA

View Full Version : how did the derby turn out

dawson1922
05-17-2010, 10:16 PM
im from redmond so, i fish there because it is the closest kokanee fishing around. well i wanna see how the pros did because its always a struggle for me to catch 'em. I wanna know if its me our the lake. when i do catch there small.

HiTechKoke
05-18-2010, 10:00 AM
They should have the results up soon on Kokaneepower.org and I'll try to grab them when I see them.

DLM
05-18-2010, 10:15 AM
The winners were a couple gentlemen from Medford area who had NEVER fished for Kokanee before. Gary M gave them a few pointers and bits of tackle and it apparently paid off very well,.

Sportsman Division

1 )Hal Springsteen, Phil Kolzinski. 2.33
2) Bob Harbison, Bob Harbison Sr 2.20
3) Sam Benson, Marvin Benson 2.12
4) Chester Jahn, Rachael Phillips 2.12
5) Rick Fielder, Rick Russell 2.09
6)Jerud Rhen, Janien Rhen 2.08
7) Ken Esperson, Dannell Esperson 2.04
8) Doug Herschback, Milt Miller 1.88
9) Brian Russell, Joe Morirz, Brian Kidder 1.85
10) David Martin, Laura Martin 1.75

Junior Division

1) Janae Rhen .46
2)Jerron Rhen .45
3)Victoria Smith .45
4) Devyn Harbison .40
5) Nilo Phelps .35

Cannon
05-18-2010, 02:31 PM
I had a great time, especially meeting with some of the IFish friends! Fishing was decent although the fish were smallish. I pre-fished the lake Thursday and Friday so I had my strategy. I kept throwing them back to get that bigger fish. When the weigh in time came, I only had four decent fish...If only I had held one or two back or at least had a fishing partner to enhance my catch. Rocky the dog likes going but he isn't a legal fisherman and only enjoyed the lake and the sun. Needless to say I didn't finish with five, only four because the bite died at 12:30 PM and I didn't catch another decent fish before the weigh in.
The point is that I had a great time, met some great people and helped support the Kokanee Power Organization. If you want to be influential in the best fishing sport left in Oregon, join up and come to the events to help raise funds that will go towards our Oregon Sport! The Kokanee Power Organization enabled us to have the two rod rule which is an excellent tool for targeting the fish that we all love to catch. If you want to see improvements in our sport, get involved and don't just sit on the sidelines. Recent changes over the last couple of years have led to the crash of Kokanee in Lake Billy Chinook. The catch went from 25 to 5 and it is destroying the kokanee fishing there. Overpopulation and poor management practices are ruining what was once a great fishery. Detroit is also only five fish. Suttle lake has crashed and nobody really has put their finger on the cause although I have heard several plausible theories. My point is, if you love the sport, Join up and help us preserve this great fishery by supporting improvements through participation. One real bonus is that you get a significant discount on your entry fees when competing in the Derbies. Thanks to all who braved the sun and the drive to put this event and future scheduled events on!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I caught and released 5 real nice Bull Trout. Awesome fish to be able to catch and one that I haven't been able to fish for since I was a kid growing up in Central Oregon. It is also one specie that will crash when the kokanee population crashes. JOIN KOKANEE POWER end of rant....

dawson1922
05-18-2010, 10:38 PM
not sure how the derby workes, but sounds like total weight of all 5. did most people have downriggers at the derby? my dad was out there earlier in the week and said there were booies out before the island. were you able to fish the island on the metolius arm and if so did you need your tribel permit. like i said before its a stuggle for me to catch them there, so maybe i need to get some downriggers to fish it. were your bull trout not big enough to keep, I've seen a couple people get tickets at the dock for keeping to small but have also have seen some 8 pounders caught, not by me though.