PDA

View Full Version : GP Kokanee Paradise report 05/15/10

kokaneekid
05-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Green Peter, “can it get any better?”

So with my dad at the Billy Chinook tournament I was on my own this weekend. I invited my friend from work, Butch Smith & my son to go along with on this adventure. I had told Butch that I wasn’t going to leave the lake until we had 50 kokanee in the boat. He had told his wife that he was going to be spending two days on the lake because he thought that task would be impossible. With all the great fishing information I had from my dad, and my secret tackle box that Chester had equipped me with I was ready to hit the lake. Butch had brought his Odell lake meat sticks for long lining, and I was set up with the downriggers. The fish are running 35 to 45 feet deep, and this time I did better in the middle of the lake toward the dam. They are 11 to 14 inches and getting FAT. We had our fifty fish in the boat by 2:30pm and ready to go home. Butch said, “This is one of those days that you will remember for the rest of your life.” I used a shorter set back on my downriggers this time and the hot lure of the day was a Hot Spot 131 purple haze UV Apex. You can see this because I lost the bottom hook on fish number 48. I would like to thank my dad for all the great fishing insight, and Dennis Boat Shop for getting my boat ready so fast for this weekend. This is some of the best fishing around I have gone three weekends in a row and it gets better every weekend. I hope everyone has a chance to fish Green Peter this year. I planning on hitting it a few more time and I can’t wait for the Kokanee Tournament.

Fish on kokaneekid

eenakoK
05-17-2010, 12:59 AM
awesomereport
Sounds like a blast! You sure are killin it down there!! I need to learn how to fillet the fish like that! I tried and failed tremendously. Thanks for the report!

kokaneekid
05-17-2010, 09:22 AM
awesomereport
Sounds like a blast! You sure are killin it down there!! I need to learn how to fillet the fish like that! I tried and failed tremendously. Thanks for the report!

I'll do a fillet 101 post in the near future with step by step directions. Make sure you are using a sharp knife. I am using a Cutco fillet knife, it works great as you can see. Glad you like the post.

Fish on kokaneekid

eric71m
05-17-2010, 01:18 PM
I'll do a fillet 101 post in the near future with step by step directions. Make sure you are using a sharp knife. I am using a Cutco fillet knife, it works great as you can see. Glad you like the post.

Fish on kokaneekid

Please do!!! would love to learn that trait...

Mark McWillis
05-17-2010, 02:40 PM
awesomereport I just wish the parking was better at that ramp. Too tight for me. :mad:

kokaneekid
05-17-2010, 03:39 PM
awesomereport I just wish the parking was better at that ramp. Too tight for me. :mad:

It took me 1 hour to get my boat out of the water on Saturday. Instead of the State making people have a boaters license, they should make people have a boat unload and load license. I shouldn't take 15 minutes to get your boat in, and 20 minutes to get your boat out of the water. It was crazy, but the fishing was worth it.

DLM
05-17-2010, 05:35 PM
It took me 1 hour to get my boat out of the water on Saturday. Instead of the State making people have a boaters license, they should make people have a boat unload and load license. I shouldn't take 15 minutes to get your boat in, and 20 minutes to get your boat out of the water. It was crazy, but the fishing was worth it.

Welcome to the joys of Green Peter. Where nobody knows how to back up a trailer, where you back the boat into the water and then unload all your gear out of the rig and put it in the boat, where you have your boat all the way forward along the ramp while the hubby goes to get the rig to pull you out, even though he is 4th in line and other people are moving their boats around you, where you tie up to the dock and work on your engine that you have not ran for 6 months, and on and on and on.

Sundays are the worst, Saturdays a little better, mid week is great but I have to work, so I get to watch the circus on the weekends.

Fallriverguy
05-17-2010, 06:07 PM
I have not wished I lived closer to GP in a long time. This year is one of them however. Good job!

kokaneekid
05-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the joys of Green Peter. Where nobody knows how to back up a trailer, where you back the boat into the water and then unload all your gear out of the rig and put it in the boat, where you have your boat all the way forward along the ramp while the hubby goes to get the rig to pull you out, even though he is 4th in line and other people are moving their boats around you, where you tie up to the dock and work on your engine that you have not ran for 6 months, and on and on and on.

After this weekend I know why my dad likes to spend the night on the boat. Because at one point I thought I was going to spend the rest of my day in the parking lot with a empty boat trailer.

skookum9
05-18-2010, 02:42 AM
I live near a lake that is somewhat popular and used to enjoy watching the fights break out at the boat ramps every weekend. The fights generally involved a husband and a wife, one yelling at the other and the other yelling right back. It was almost comical and I used to have to be very careful to not let my snickers get too loud for fear of being thrown into the lake. Often times I thanked my father for teaching me to back a trailer when I was young so I didn't have to endure the humiliation of demonstrating my lack of ability to do so in public as an adult.

Kokaneekid, have you ever tried a Kommer's Big Eddy knife? Since I found this knife, it is the only one I use on koke's. It has a very unique shape that makes the skinning process very easy. One side of the knife is flat ground and the other side is hollow ground, and this helps by not allowing the meat to "vacuum" down to the steel. Prior to the discovery of this knife I always used the ever reliable rapala with a 4" blade.

I too have been thinking about making a video to post to utube or something that demonstrates my technique for filleting. I don't know how to post a video to utube but I have seen many video's there that demonstrate how to fillet and they are all done in a manner that I consider to be greatly inferior. I have been trying to get my time to be shorter but it seems that when I have a big mess of koke's to clean, I can't get much faster than 1 minute per fish. This only includes the filleting. It's another 15 or 20 seconds to split the fillet's and then about 10 to 15 seconds to skin both sides. All of this is done without wasting any meat and without leaving any bones. I just gave a brief demonstration of my technique to another fisherman at Odell when I came in with a nice little mess of koke's to clean.

I'd like to see your video if you make one. Perhaps you'll pay a visit up to Odell someday while I am up there and we can compare methods.

river hunter
05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
tell ya, what having a jet sled with the ez glide bunks makes it so much easier, withing a min of hitting the water im off the bunks, and loading the boat back up takes just as much time to load as it takes to unload. but for my smaller boat, im gonna start launching at the dam, the heck with dealing with the idiots at thistle. was there sunday night and someone busted there winch cable, took em 30 mins to fix it... they need to make that lunch a double or triple wide launch

Lip Ripper
05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
What I have noticed is that 99% of the fisher men that launch there boat have tenner shoes on. So there fore they don't want to get there feet wet and they either power there boat on or winch it on. After all fisher men wear fishing boots, you can take them off when you get in the boat. Also when we got our boaters education card it says to get your boat ready in the holding section (NOT AT THE LAUNCH) and do not power your boat on. A good example is Princess creek ramp at Odell. Powering on your boat have literally recked the ramp, I am sure the fish didn't do it. Also practice backing your boat at home not at the ramp. From the time that I get my pickup at Thistle it takes me 5 minutes to back load and pull my boat out. So if every one does this that's 12 boats a hour. Always be courteous to your fellow fisherman.

eric71m
05-18-2010, 01:59 PM
What I have noticed is that 99% of the fisher men that launch there boat have tenner shoes on. So there fore they don't want to get there feet wet and they either power there boat on or winch it on. After all fisher men wear fishing boots, you can take them off when you get in the boat. Also when we got our boaters education card it says to get your boat ready in the holding section (NOT AT THE LAUNCH) and do not power your boat on. A good example is Princess creek ramp at Odell. Powering on your boat have literally recked the ramp, I am sure the fish didn't do it. Also practice backing your boat at home not at the ramp. From the time that I get my pickup at Thistle it takes me 5 minutes to back load and pull my boat out. So if every one does this that's 12 boats a hour. Always be courteous to your fellow fisherman.

101goodpost101

kokaneekid
05-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Anyone going to show up and fish Green Peter this weekend?

eric71m
05-18-2010, 05:13 PM

it is on my list to be there, but the one who must be obayed has not granted me a pass yet.

268bull
05-18-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm keeping my eye on the weather and if favorable, I'm going to try to slip up there on Friday. Can't stand the weekend boat ramp blues. Right now though, long range weather doesn't paint a pretty picture! Oh well, dig out the rain gear. I did it for years running tree planting crews, so a day fishing in rain gear shouldn't be to bad! LOL!! Bull

DLM
05-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I will be there Sunday.

river hunter
05-19-2010, 12:31 AM

ya, looks like i got a few friends that want to go which means gotta take the bigger boat, gawd i hate leaving the house @430am to get there early at thistle to get a spot to park the boat

kokaneekid
05-19-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm going to fish Green Peter Saturday & Sunday. If you see my black NW Jet boat say, "HI" In between all the hook ups. Chester should be in my boat on Saturday & he’s the mastermind of the kokaneekid operation, it’s too bad he’s not very good on the computer because he wouldn’t need me. He told me to watch out I’m going to get something called the Kokanee Fever. I’m running a fever of 101 right now and I’m thinking about calling in sick at work to go catch fish. I would tell them I have the Kokanee flu I heard its worse than the Swine flu. This is the one time in my life I wished I didn't have weekends off. I would love to hit the lake on Tuesday and Wednesday, or Wednesday and Thursday. Good luck this weekend and like always I’ll post my report.

Fish On konaneekid…

eric71m
05-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I’m running a fever of 101 right now and I’m thinking about calling in sick at work to go catch fish. I would tell them I have the Kokanee flu I heard its worse than the Swine flu.
Fish On konaneekid…

101cheers101101props101

kokaneekid
05-19-2010, 12:05 PM
it is on my list to be there, but the one who must be obayed has not granted me a pass yet.

Very funny man.... I talked the one I must obey to go along with me this weekend.

eric71m
05-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Very funny man.... I talked the one I must obey to go along with me this weekend.

Belive me, I tried, but she too, doesnt like to get up a 2:30 to drive and beat the crowd at the boat ramp. But as long as I get my chores done... thumbsup LOL, I'll be there... 17' alumaweld with 75 merc and 9.9 merc trolling.

see ya on the water!!!101cheers101

dob60
05-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I will be there friday

dob60

river hunter
05-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm going to fish Green Peter Saturday & Sunday. If you see my black NW Jet boat say, "HI" In between all the hook ups. Chester should be in my boat on Saturday & he’s the mastermind of the kokaneekid operation, it’s too bad he’s not very good on the computer because he wouldn’t need me. He told me to watch out I’m going to get something called the Kokanee Fever. I’m running a fever of 101 right now and I’m thinking about calling in sick at work to go catch fish. I would tell them I have the Kokanee flu I heard its worse than the Swine flu. This is the one time in my life I wished I didn't have weekends off. I would love to hit the lake on Tuesday and Wednesday, or Wednesday and Thursday. Good luck this weekend and like always I’ll post my report.

Fish On konaneekid…

same, if ya see a BIG grey smokercraft jet boat it will be me

Lip Ripper
05-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Have any of you gone to the Whitcomb ramp? It is probably a lot less crowded. I was at Thistle at 5:30 this morning and had my pick of parking spots I was the only one there. I wound up with 18 fish a lot of them didn't want to stay on the hook. I believe they saw the boat name. signfishin

eric71m
05-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Have any of you gone to the Whitcomb ramp? It is probably a lot less crowded. I was at Thistle at 5:30 this morning and had my pick of parking spots I was the only one there. I wound up with 18 fish a lot of them didn't want to stay on the hook. I believe they saw the boat name. signfishin

Is it even open yet?

Lip Ripper
05-19-2010, 06:38 PM
I haven't been over there but I would think it should be open. It might pay to check and see if it is.

Brooster
05-19-2010, 06:48 PM

we were the 2nd boat there. you must have been still fishing when we left @ 1:00 because your rig was still there. we got 21 between the 2 of us. orange was working for us today. beautiful morning before the rain showed up. no real wind to speak of.101wave2101

Lip Ripper
05-19-2010, 07:39 PM
I just checked with parks and the Whitcomb ramp is open. She also said they were pulling down GP to fill foster today. Seen in the paper where a boat trailer was stolen at Foster. Can't trust any body these days, so lock it to your hitch and get a locking pin for the receiver Harbor Freight has a good one.thumbsup

DLM
05-19-2010, 09:55 PM
The draw down could make it tough this weekend. GP kokes sometimes shut down when there is a sudden change in the water level.

I have never had problems with theft at Thistle but have heard that others have. I always make sure everything is locked and nothing of value is visible from outside the rig.

river hunter
05-20-2010, 05:38 PM
wheres whitcomb launch at? past thistle down the road?

Lip Ripper
05-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Go past Thistle across the bridge and up a hill and it is the first road on the right. signfishin101chromefish101

Mark McWillis
05-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Is the parking lot at Whitcomb bigger than Thistle? Thistle is just too tight for a long bed crew cab with a 24' boat!

capron6
05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Just finished up a couple of rain, sleet, and wind filled days on Green Peter on Thursday and Friday, the 20th & 21st. Had a couple of my wife's relatives that hadn't been kokanee fishing before. The latest round of ugly weather combined with the lowering of the lake level to fill the reservoir below as well as keep sufficient flows in the river for the steelie and salmon run has caused the fish to move around. Therefore one has to go on the "hunt" daily. Both days started out slowly, and the fish had moved from the previous day as well. We managed to eke out 22 fish on Thursday and 27 on Friday. Not too bad considering.

Fish are up high, in the top 35 feet. Shasta Tackle UV dodgers followed by a variety of things worked. R&K hoochies were the best producers, with wiggle hoochies, Marni Bugs, Murphy Bugs, and some of my home-made spinners all contributed to the total take. The boys went home with their 49 fish and I even threw in a bonus of a few packs of my smoked koke. Sure am looking forward to some warmer weather though.

Lip Ripper
05-23-2010, 07:10 PM
The way to go Ron, I just got back from Diamond. Sounds like you had good weather compared to us, we went over Friday and came back today. It snowed Friday and Saturday and blew and it was cold. I told one of my friends that that last fish I caught had snow shoes on. Today it was nice we got several nice fish but only one real big one. The ones we kept were 17 to 18'' real nice fish, but we put in the hours.signfishin101chromefish101