PDA

View Full Version : First try for Kokanee

dob60
05-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Tried GP today for the first time- first time fishing for Kokanee... Caught 2 fish (11-12"). Lost 5 or 6 more- must get used to thier soft mouths...
Fish were 35-40 ft, caught using a downrigger, hoochie spinner or Macks Kokanee Pro. Chartruse in AM, blue/ red later in day + White shoepeg corn with herring and Anise scent...
I seemed to have greater difficulty locating fish towards midday. Can these fish be shy of the downrigger ball? Did they just go deeper? Any thoughts out there?
Thanks for the input- this is all new to me.....
dob60

268bull
05-17-2010, 02:35 PM
dob60, Glad to see you made your first trip to GP on Saturday. I'm not a downrigger fisherman myself, so I can't really say if your setup frightened them off. What were you using as an attractor (Flasher)? I was there on Sunday, used Ford Fenders, used both nickel plated and brass, had equal success with both. Used Wedding Rings with either glitter or scale smiley blades, glo red or glo orange beads. Your depth was good. I was trolling at the same depth with a hundred feet of long line. Don't get discouraged though, learn from each trip and your catches will increase. Bull

dob60
05-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Bull

Thanks for the ongoing input... I have been distracted with Springer fishing the past few day- but intend to fish GP or Odell this next week... I will be in a yellow/ white 16ft Larson, using my trolling motor to fish...hope to see you out there
dob60

SilverBullets
05-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Generally kokes aren't ball shy. At the depth you mentioned you could get away with a 10' setback. Fishing closer to the ball will give you the ability to make tight turns to stay over the fish, and having less line out gives your lures added movement to entice strikes while varying your speed and doing s turns. Nothing is set in stone though...if what your doing isn't producing keep changing things.
Most days in the early mornings the kokes are up high, but as the sun comes up they head down. Also, if it's an overcast day and the sun comes out drop your presentation down a bit...troll away or perpendicular to the sun (never towards it.)