PDA

View Full Version : Ririe Kokes!

MMDON
05-15-2010, 07:11 PM
The water is still cold, 46.4 degrees at 5:15 this morning. At least there wasn't another boat on the Res. at that time! The Kokes are scattered and haven't schooled at all so they are a bit of a puzzle to find. I had a guy troll between my boat and the bank and yell to me that the fish were at 40' deep. I smiled as we were crossing a point and the water depth he was toplining in was 20' max.

The fish came early at 5' on the wire with a 70' setback. By 11:00 you could catch Kokes at 18' on the wire with a 7' set back using the PIC (Positive Ion Control) on the Cannon Digitrolls to draw them right to the ball. Best current was 5.8 but that reading would change depending on where you were fishing so make sure to meter your wire as you change locations! If the nights will get a bit warmer we should be seeing schools of Kokes within 2 weeks!

Happy Hunting!

MM/Don

SilverBullets
05-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Great report Don...sounds like a good day! Got a question...As far as the black box I usually just keep it at .650 and haven't tried different setting much. Do you just keep adjusting until you get multiple hits, or is there a certain criteria where a lower setting would be a better choice than the recommended .650?

MMDON
05-15-2010, 11:32 PM
The Black Box was originally designed to overcome the negative effects of stray currents or bad voltage problems however . . . Playing with a voltage meter and a Fish Finder you will find a setting that has fish rising to your weights or even "pinging" the wire. (bumping their noses on the wire. For my boat and Kokes that voltage is .58 volts.

Is that from to much time on my hands, to much time spent Koke fishing, or just can't play by the rule "if it isn't broke don't fix it?" (wink)

SuperD
05-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Don, glad to see you got out. Hopefully, all nice weather ahead of us.

Don, why don't you post the chart that had the voltage setting by species?

MMDON
05-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Don, glad to see you got out. Hopefully, all nice weather ahead of us.

Don, why don't you post the chart that had the voltage setting by species?

Black Box Species Recommended Settings:

SPECIES VOLTAGE
Chinook (King) Salmon .600 volts
Coho (Silver) Salmon .650 volts
Sockeye Salmon .750 volts
Kokanee Salmon .650 volts (Mine .58)
Halibut .450 volts *
Macs .650 volts
Rainbow & Brown Trout .650 volts
Cutthroat Trout .650 volts

caneslaw
05-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi, I just moved here from Florida and am learning about fishing here. I fished alot in florida, mostly deep sea wrecks. I don't have a boat yet - can you catch Kokanee @ Lucky Peak without one?

MMDON
05-16-2010, 11:36 AM
It would be very tough to do. I have seen guys fishing from the bank with bobbers that catch Kokanee. Since they are mostly a top water plankton feeder, suspending your bait at their depth would be the only way to catch them consistently.

caneslaw
05-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks - looks like we will be buying a boat! :)

MMDON
05-17-2010, 01:05 AM
I started in a Bucks Kick Boat with a small electric motor and lead core line. I caught my limit every time out the same as the guys in the big boats. It can be done from a canoe or any size craft with a motor!

caneslaw
05-17-2010, 09:54 AM
thanks - that's good information. We don't know which way to go. Will a Jeep Liberty pull that?

MMDON
05-17-2010, 07:59 PM
My pontoon, "Kick Boat" would fold up and fit in the rear seat!