PDA

View Full Version : First trip tomorrow, near gear help?

bkondeff
05-15-2010, 02:04 PM
So I finally got my new downrigger mounted in my boad and I picked up a trolling plate and have that mounted so I am ready to get going.

I still need to pick-up the actual trolling tackle. I picked up about a dozen different wedding rings a month ago when they where on sale, but basically I have nothing.

Can you recommend say 3 go to set-ups. I know you guys seem to try a lot of diff things to find what works on a given day, but my funds are limited. I plan to go to Sportsman's and/or Cabelas this afternoon to pick them up.

P.S. I do have a few can's of Shoepeg corn, but it is still in the can.

Thanks!

SilverBullets
05-15-2010, 03:36 PM
What lake are you fishing? Try going back through the old reports to see what's been working. Pink is always a great color choice. You might want to pick up a few apex's, some hoochies, and dodgers. As far as leader lengths every lake is different, but as a general rule behind the dodger go with around 10" for hoochies, 24" for spinners, and 36" for the apex. Also, small spoons like the needle fish can be effective some days. Don't overload with too much corn and troll around 1.2 mph (1.4-1.6 with the apex.) The main thing is to keep adjusting your depth and try different lures and colors until you find what they want. Do plenty of s-turns and vary your speed to entice a strike...good luck!thumbsup

BlueBack79
05-16-2010, 03:10 AM
i am a firm believer in using scents as well. my trusty stand by has always been anise. never leave home without it.

PapaD
05-16-2010, 09:28 AM
So some guy on U Tube dips his wedding ring lure in the oil from a can of Bumble bee tuna. Have not done this yet but will give it a try.

MMDON
05-16-2010, 10:17 AM
So some guy on U Tube dips his wedding ring lure in the oil from a can of Bumble bee tuna. Have not done this yet but will give it a try.

Run over to Sportsman's and pick up a bottle of Smelly Jelly Special Mix, "Shrimp Anise" liquid. It doesn't take much and kills at your local lake! 101chromefish101