PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger release question.

kansasrockchalk
05-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Relatively new to this game, just got a boat for the first time this year and been out 2 times to LP with pretty good success. A buddy of mine and I were out yesterday and the kok's were pretty thick, we ended up with 10, and lost probably twice that. My biggest problem was the release clip on my downriggers, for some reason when the fish were biting it would not release the line. So, for those of you that fish with riggers, what kind of clips do you use? Any special tips with them? We were trying a multitude of things but it was either to tight or to loose to get down.

Thanks in advance!

SilverBullets
05-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Alot of guys like the yellow Offshore clips. Vances Tackle and Seps use it on their releases...http://www.vancestackle.com/clips.html

I sometimes think it's better when they don't trip the release...gets a better hook set.

kodiak1
05-15-2010, 11:38 AM
I really like the Cannon releases. Not only do you have three choices for ease of release, but you can finesse each one by means of placement of the line. I use the same release for little trout and kokanee as I do for king fishing in the ocean! So, where have you been finding the best fishing on Lucky Peak, and at what depth? I am heading up in a few days. Mike

BlueBack79
05-16-2010, 03:05 AM
i wouldnt be too concerned about that. i rarely have the fish pop the line off the release. i like using the small scotty releases. i usually set my line about a third of the way in, on the release. the farther out you set your line, and the more tension you reel up, will allow the line to release easier. but, you will find that if there are any wakes, and/or chop, they will pop off too easy.

kansasrockchalk
05-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys, my only problem was realizing a fish was on...sometimes the rod would bounce a bit but other times we would reel in and a fish would be on.

Anyhow, I was out Frdiay and the fish were about half way between the dam and spring shores. from 15-50 feet is what we fished varying our depth by the schools on the FF.

MMDON
05-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys, my only problem was realizing a fish was on...sometimes the rod would bounce a bit but other times we would reel in and a fish would be on.

Anyhow, I was out Frdiay and the fish were about half way between the dam and spring shores. from 15-50 feet is what we fished varying our depth by the schools on the FF.

If you can't tell you have a fish on the Rigger there may be several problems with your set up. There should never be a doubt that you even have moss on your lure. Increase the length of the cable to the release, reel down more on the rod in the rigger and lastly if you still can't see the rod dipping with a fish on your rod is way to stiff and short for the type and size of fish you are catching. This will also show up in LDR's, (Long Distance Releases). The rod should be parabolic (limber from the center) enough to read and maintain constant contact with even a rocket ship Kokanee at the Gorge. I find most people use rods that are to heavy, slow and short for their target species. I use 9' rods for all of my fresh water trolling. The advantages are a long arch in the rigger giving a better read right down to seeing the vibration on the tip disappear when the lure is fouled, a faster pick up when a fish releases the line from the rigger, a larger bend in the rod to maintain contact and a larger lift to slide the fish across the water surface to net without allowing the fish leverage to pull loose with one last thrash of the tail.

To me the rod is as important as any piece of gear on your fishing list! Loomis Rods in various weights fill this bill depending on the species, fish size and depth fished.

Mojo
05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I like the Scotty Mini-Releases. They have adjustable tension, and don't seem to wear out like some of the other brands. They just seem to fit my needs best.

Aluma165
05-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Very good responses. I'll add another 2 cents. I have Scotty manuals that came with ocean sized release clips. I set the line closer and closer to the open edge but still had trouble with the line not releasing. I finally read a post and immediately switched to the smallest clips I could find, (I think mine are crystal river?) but that's the key. Small clips.
Another key factor that I pointed out to my partner last trip: Don't try to jerk it from the clip. Just start reeling. He was losing fish after fish from his old "set the hook" habit. With small clips it will release with less impact on the koke if you just start reeling up. Snubber helps as well...

BTW: Our last trip we boated 5 and lost that many in 2 hours just up from the Turner ramp and past the point along the rock slide. Slow and frustrating day. Two guys kept running through the race track most boats were following and thus wound up fowling us. They'd get a hookup, run to the back of the boat and completely ignore what their boat was doing! We lost two setups... They finally hung our DR cable on the second trip across our bow.
Clueless...

MMDON
05-18-2010, 09:38 PM
That really bites 165. Clueless and rude people really do suck! 101jason101

Aluma165
05-19-2010, 01:47 PM
MMM: 1st time I've run into it at L.P. Last fall at C.J. trolling flies for trout a couple of guys were trolling at 90 degrees through the other 4 or 5 boats who were paralleling the shore line... Go figure?
Cut two of our lines and totally fowled another boat. That guy let them know in clear terms what they'd done. Told them they owed him $30.00. They pulled lines and hightailed it to another part of the lake.
MAYBE these were the same two?