PDA

View Full Version : Finally !!!!!

Harpoon
05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Finally got one yesterday. About two pounds and 17.5 inches. Thanks for all the posts that I read. I am sure that it would have taken alot longer if the forum was not here. I was very happy at first and then sick when I let the big one get away. I hate double hooks!! Thanks again.H worthy12

Bduck
05-14-2010, 06:53 PM
What was your tackle? Right now I'm visualizing a Harpoon. 101duh101 Need pictures of the east coast variety. Keep the posts coming.

rgarbar
05-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Congratulations Harpoon! Leave a few for me.

Harpoon
05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Bduck, i did think about the harpoon approach but wen't with traditional tackle. The pic in my avatar is the best I could do until I figure out how to post a better pic. East coast fish look the same as all the pics that have seen. Rgarber see ya on the water.H

trollmonkey
05-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Finally got one yesterday. About two pounds and 17.5 inches. Thanks for all the posts that I read. I am sure that it would have taken alot longer if the forum was not here. I was very happy at first and then sick when I let the big one get away. I hate double hooks!! Thanks again.H worthy12

H they are really awesome fish,glad you got one.How deep were you fishing and how many hits did you get? Most importantly if you get into them good leave some for the T-monkey!101ok101

Harpoon
05-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Tmonkey, they were scattered from 35 up.Temp was 67 and wind was up and down all day. 6 hits 2 to the boat. I saw 5 out of the 6. Very easy to tell now what I have on . Black back with a hint of green on the head almost iredescent(spelling). I guess I will be catch and release or until I catch something of size. Great fish and I can see why everybody loves to catch them. H

Harpoon
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM
here is the east coast version hmmmm looks the same . I have taught my son well ,notice the fully extended arms.H

trollmonkey
05-21-2010, 09:14 PM
The trick is to hide the extended arms behind the fish.I'm still working on it so, let me know if you get it right.101ok101

rgarbar
06-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Finally got to get out on Nantahala to fish. Had no success in 4 tries. Was plauged by lightning and my inexperience with deep water trolling. I also could not find the large schools I marked last summer. Did find a concentration of fish around little choga island at about 35'. They could have been trout or bass? Was marking large isolated fish in 100'+ depths. Lots of fish on the many underwater ridges(maybe stumps or boulders). Surface water temps ranged from 72 to 74. 54 at 58' Lake was very clear. I tried a variety of lures and colors with and without dodgers. Well I am not discouraged as I did learn how to use the downriggers, line releases and the new electric trolling motor. I am back in FL now but plan to head back to the lake the end of June and try again.

MMDON
06-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Very cool. Getting all the tech worked out is half the battle! 101chromefish101

Harpoon
06-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Do you have a Carolina skiff with a t-top ?

rgarbar
06-28-2010, 05:19 PM
I have a white carolina skiff 14' DLX cc with a blue bimini top. Has a front seat and bow mount trolling motor. There is a similar boat a 17' DLX in the area. No bow mount. Will be heading back up to the lake on Thursday. Have some issues with the boat trailer, broke a spring on the bad roads in the subdivision. Also have an idle problem with the yamaha 4 stroke(hope a can of seafoam does the trick and avoid a rebuild until the fall). Hope resolve the problems next weekend and start my quest again.

huntnfishCT
07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Great job Harpoon...keep after em

Hey Bduck, here a pic of an eastern Koke in July...