PDA

View Full Version : Do you stop or troll when hooked up?

Full_Monte
09-20-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm new at this, so please bear with me. I'm wondering if it's best to stop the boat when hooked up to a fish, or to keep trolling. I notice on some of the online videos that people seem to keep trolling and use a long net off the stern to land the fish. I'm interested in any opinions. Thanks!

Lunkerhunter2
09-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I usually just keep going unless there are more than 2 fish on at the same time.

AFDan52
09-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I too usually keep moving unless we have more than one on , or maybe a larger fish on .

MackPrince
09-20-2008, 04:57 PM
For me I usually stop the motor because I tend to fish alone and it lets me focus on fighting and netting the fish without worrying about the prop or steering. I fish in a 14ft v-hull, but with a larger boat I'd be inclined to keep moving like others have mentioned.

nob
09-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I have a tr1 gold auto pilot , and when I hook up I hit the idle resume buttom and the suzuki 9.9 4stroke w/a 5 pitch prop goes to low idle, about .4mph and it still holds a heading. and after I land the fish hit the button again and it goes back to where i had it set. man what a great tool !!!!

Full_Monte
09-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a tr1 gold auto pilot , and when I hook up I hit the idle resume buttom and the suzuki 9.9 4stroke w/a 5 pitch prop goes to low idle, about .4mph and it still holds a heading. and after I land the fish hit the button again and it goes back to where i had it set. man what a great tool !!!!

Since I joined this forum last week, I've already spent money on a new downrigger rod and reel and some goodies for the tackle box. Is there any end to the amount of money I have to spend on this? You are killing me...auto pilots, fish finders, downriggers. I didn't even know about some of this stuff a week ago. Now I'm seeing my wallet shrink by the hour! tongue2 And this happened all because I caught a 16 inch koke while fishing for trout. That koke was likely the most expensive fish I ever caught.

Petty4life
09-21-2008, 04:51 AM
LOL, wait till you get into mack fishing and then you'll see the wallet shrink. kokanee fishing can be as cheap or expensive as you make it.

Full_Monte
09-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah...I only fished for macks once on a party boat at Lake Tahoe. Didn't catch anything and no one else did either. I'm kind of interested in that, too, since I'm bored with catching small rainbows. I guess I just never knew how to fish for some of the more elusive fish, or I would have tried it years ago.

FishHunter
09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I fished a lot by myself this year at Flaming Gorge and would stop the motor to focus on the task at hand. It is hard to reel in a koke, net it and steer the boat at the same time by yourself tooexcited

I used to stop it all the time, even when I was with someone because I was afraid to lose the koke. I have since abandoned that because the more I fish for kokes, the more confident I get and the less I lose fish.

I too have invested more than I care to count into koke fishing since my brother got me hooked on it 5 or 6 years ago. I could probably retire 10 years earlier if I hadn't gotten into it tongue2

HiTechKoke
09-23-2008, 11:03 PM
I generally always bring my kicker motor down to its lowest trolling RP (about .5MPH) to ease up on the fish a bit. I can't really stop since I stack lines so they would fall onto themselves and tangle... I speak from experience on that one! :-)

A great question to ask. I think you'll find you will lose more by slowing down, especially early in the season when the Kokes have softer mouths.

Kevin

Kokaholic
09-23-2008, 11:18 PM
I will kick in and out of gear depending on the size of the fish. If I have a nice fish on, I will go in and out. Small fish, stay in. I also stack my riggers so I dont want to tangle up.

bobco
09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
LOL, wait till you get into mack fishing and then you'll see the wallet shrink. kokanee fishing can be as cheap or expensive as you make it.
yeah I know , i have a bag with a couple thousand tube jigs in it, I go and look at the tubes evry time I'm in a store, and guess how many colors I have been using for the last 1.5 years, ONE!!! it is the mental health consoling that really hurts the mac addicts!!!
tongue2tongue2tongue2

Propnut69
09-26-2008, 12:18 AM

Jason,I certainly agree that Mack fishing can be expensive,I really don't think that it is any more expensive then koke fishing..Fishing for Mack's as with kokes can be as costly or as inexpensive as a person chooses to make it. I know that I lose a lot more tackle fishing for kokes,then I ever did when I fished for Mack's.

Now on to the question . Do I stop or not when i got a fish on? If I'm by myself I will usually not stop.It helps to have some control on where I'm going. If there are two or more on the boat,the guy that hooks up usually will say want he wants ,to stop ,or go.

Digi-Troller
09-26-2008, 01:37 AM
We keep moving. Like others have said, when you're stacking and running multiple lines, stopping can be a real hassle. Plus when you keep moving you have the potential of more fish. Doubles and triples are common. Our best, and most hectic, came in June when we hooked and landed 5 kokes while running 6 rods. That was a bit of a fire drill for the 3 of us.