PDA

View Full Version : To tip or not to tip?

Coldfooter
05-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Well I'm finally starting to try and figure out what I'm going to need to get into Koke catch at FG. As I've said in the past, all but one of the Koke I've caught were not the targots so I basically know zip about koke fishing. And that fish I did targot was caught jigging.

Heres my question/s while trolling

To tip or not to tip with meal worms while trolling?? What lure colors work best during which months, smooth whether, rough whether?? Do you perfer trolling your lure below the targot or above, how far and why?

Thanks for any and all advice... Don

SuperD
05-14-2010, 01:20 PM
To tip or not to tip with meal worms while trolling??

A couple of years ago, meal worms soaked in scent was the hot ticket. Following a year in which meal worms were in short supply, Gulp Maggots seemed to take over as the preferred tipping item. Both work and you can experiment with both to see which you prefer.

What lure colors work best during which months, smooth whether, rough whether??
This has some "in general" answers but really depends year to year, so no absolutes. My past experience has found that different colors work better on different parts of the lake. Last year for example, orange lures and purple lures worked really well for my up at Anvil. Around Pipeline, pink lures seemed to be my favorite. Up until last year, pink UV Apex was one of my best producers at the Gorge but last year I couldn't buy fish on it. Spinners were my best producer. What this all leads to is a better understanding for why Kokanee fishermen are tackle whores and have bags and bags of tackle.

Do you perfer trolling your lure below the targot or above, how far and why?

I prefer to stagger my riggers by 5' to 10' and see what depth really starts to be the consistant depth that the fish are actively biting. You can spend all day chasing arches but you really want to concentrate on fish that want to play that day. Try sandwiching fish you are marking in the water column.

binthere50
05-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Do you have downriggers?....If so you should be ok. Call Jarod Johnson at Rocky Mountain Tackle Co. and have him make up a package for you of
what he thinks you'll need for the time period you'll be fishing. Spend the dough
and you'll be miles ahead...(by the way can't wait to see my weights:)
Get some scent too...pro cure oils or gels, or Mikes scents work too...
Early in the year troll your gear way back up to 100ft if the kokes are shallow,
in late July/Aug troll your gear close 15ft is a good ave. for late Summer as the
fish will most likely be 40ft or deeper.
Keep your hooks razor sharp, and use 12lb (minimum) fluorocarbon for Gorge koke leaders. Glow lures early morning, UV lures when the sun is up.....lots of stuff to use...Jarod will help you with that. Lots of guys use 10lb leaders, and thats fine too, but I don't like to change leaders after a fish or 2 and they don't seem to be line shy, besides heavier leaders give more action to your lure, squid, whatever you are dragging.....learning this deal is half the fun, believe me I'm in grade school myself on these things........Mike

Coldfooter
05-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Great info from all and thanks for all the input guys!
Hopefully I can put it to use soon..