PDA

View Full Version : New to fishing Koke's

dob60
05-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Hello-

I'm new to fishing for Kokanee and would appriciate any tips. I will be using a 16ft tri-hull, trolling with a Minn Kota electric motor. Fish finder is a Humminbird wide. I have read a fair amount about Koke fishing, and will be using wedding ring spinners or needlefish. Bait will be white shoepeg corn with various scents or berkly power maggots. I do have a downrigger. I want to try Green Peter or Odell.
Thanks dob60

268bull
05-10-2010, 07:03 PM
doB60, welcome to the forum! Would be glad to share tips for helping out a new Koke fisherman. First thing I would recommend that you find a larger engine than the Min-Kota. Not to say they're not a good trolling motor to have but your going to need an engine that you can control your trolling while dealing with the wind. Both lakes you mentioned can get quite windy and choppy, and it's good to have a motor to keep contol of your boat. If not, you'll never get to fish! I like to use a good limber rod, 6 1/2 to 7 ft.. I use glass rods but that's just a matter of personal preference. Find some gang trolls, and re-tie your wedding rings. It's cheaper to buy wedding rings than gang trolls. Keep your ? coming, there are plenty of good fisherman on this forum that will answer ? for you. Bull

Brooster
05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
sounds good. get some hoochie squids and run them 8 - 12 " behind a dodger/ slingblade tipped w/your bait. troll 1.5 - 1.8 mph. FISH ON!!!!thumbsup

dob60
05-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Thank you for the replys guys... Can you suggest where at Green peter I should look for fish??
Thanks

Good fishing!!

wood4heat
05-13-2010, 01:31 AM
This looks like a great thread to start off in. I grew up fishing Odell Lake and miss it greatly! I recently picked up a small boat hoping to relive as well as create some of those memories with my kids. At some point I'd love to get back to Odell but live less than an hour from Yale now. Lurking in your forum has encouraged me to give it a shot over there. I'm sure when I get out there the tips and advice I've picked up here will prove invaluable.

Anyway back to the topic of your thread the thing about Odell that sticks out in my mind is the wind. If I remember it correctly (it has been 20yrs) most mornings it would be calm until anywhere from 10:00- 12:00 and when the wind came up it would come up fast. The fishing was great but the lake was choppy!

skookum9
05-13-2010, 01:43 AM
I only fish Odell in the spring time, like right now, and typically the wind there this time of year is pretty predictable with only some exceptions. It's calm most mornings, until like you had said, about 10am or so. The wind will then pick up but will often times give you some slack in the afternoon, at least for brief periods of time. And quite often towards evening things calm down a lot, but this is not always true by any means. Since I sight fish with jigs, the wind can really make fishing tough for me, but still worth the trouble. I'm hoping to find out just how good the fishing there is this weekend, maybe I'll see someone from here up there.

268bull
05-13-2010, 09:29 AM
dob60, The fish are scattered pretty much throughout the lake. It appears that they're beginning to school now also. Try fishing the mouths of the outlets feeding the lake. I've had good luck doing this. Stay about 30 to 40 yds. out from the shoreline and watch for the strike as your trolling rig gets to either side of the feeder cove. There are a couple of feeder streams ( coves) that are quite long and wide that you can troll and be out of the wind. Those are on the south shore off the main body. Good fishing to you, Bull

dob60
05-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Bull- thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try GP tomorrow....
dob60