PDA

View Full Version : Green Peter "RED HOT" 05/08/10

kokaneekid
05-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Green Peter is RED HOT

So my Dad, “Chester Jahn” hit the lake at high noon on Friday the 7th and caught his limit in a matter of hours. Look at the picture below. I couldn’t wait to meet up with the old man on Saturday and try our luck.
You know when you have those days that you fish all the poles that the law allows with everything you got in your tackle box and nothing. Then you have the days that you fish all the poles all day and scratch out only a few, and then you have those great days that you catch lots with little too no effort. Well this was one of those days that it didn’t matter what we put out, who I had reeling them in, I only fished three poles, with the downriggers, and I didn’t have to resort to long lining for numbers. I could stick to one color combination all day and we still hammered the crap out of the fish.
We fish down by the damn this time, and the fish got bigger the closer we got to it. The fish are 12 to 14 inches and are running 25 to 40 feet. They are starting to group up big time. After we marked them you could almost countdown to 7 before pure chaos. We had triples and double almost all day long. We let the kids reel in all the fish and I didn’t even care that we lost 25 to 30 fish. We left the lake early with 50 kokanee and the 25 kokanee dad caught on Friday plus eight rainbow we let go. The only down side to the trip was I stayed up until 1:00am cleaning the 75 kokanee. The lucky Flash of the day was this one from Shasta Tackle, Look at picture below. Niilo won it for getting second place in the junior division at the Diamond Lake fishing derby last year, and he insisted that we used it. Watch out because I think he is going to use it during the Billy Chinook tournament.
Hope you enjoy the report because I have more on the way….

Fish on kokaneekid

DLM
05-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Green Peter is RED HOT

So my Dad, “Chester Jahn” hit the lake at high noon on Friday the 7th and caught his limit in a matter of hours.
Fish on kokaneekid

Hush!

Some guys just don't know how to keep a secret (picked up 20 myself today)

Fallriverguy
05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I love seeing baggies full of kokanee fillets. Glad you had a great day and got the kids into some amazing fishing.

Brooster
05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Hush!

Some guys just don't know how to keep a secret (picked up 20 myself today)

I concur.. 3 guys ,5 rods, 60 + fish.

Cannon
05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Fished GP on Sunday as per plan. Boated 33 nice Kokanee over a six hour period. I had a ride along from another board who really got indoctrinated into kokanee madness. Non stop action after I got it dialed in. We also caught a lot of hold over trout which we gave back to the lake....

kokaneekid
05-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Fished GP on Sunday as per plan. Boated 33 nice Kokanee over a six hour period. I had a ride along from another board who really got indoctrinated into kokanee madness. Non stop action after I got it dialed in. We also caught a lot of hold over trout which we gave back to the lake....

What part of the lake did you fish cannon? I would also like to HOOK UP with you this year and fish sometime. I heard you fish Detroit Lake for the Chinook. I’m thinking with all the “Kokanee Big Wigs” out of town at the tournament it will be a great opportunity to fish Green Peter by myself. I’m having my boat worked on Friday, and I’m not sure if I’ll have time to make it to Billy Chinook. Plus I should do a test run to make sure everything is working right.

Fish on kokaneekid

eric71m
05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
we were on the lake first thing, and for the first time this season, took us a while to dial in the colors and the depths, we managed to catch 17. it was the best day i have ever had at GP
Maybe one of these days I will catch up to you canon on the lake, we meet at the suttle koke class. same thing for you kokaneekid... maybe someday...

good job to both of you...

Lip Ripper
05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Great fishing at GP today I was on the water at 6 AM I had 25 Kokanee and was out of the water at 12:00. I was down by the dam fishing at 35' with a dodger and UV pink hoochie and my favorite blue beaded lour.signfishin101chromefish101

capron6
05-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Nice seeing you Lip Ripper. We finished up shortly after you did with 30 for the day. Had to be home early, darn it!!

Cannon
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Maybe one of these days I will catch up to you canon on the lake, we meet at the suttle koke class.
Where were you sitting at the koke class?

Cannon
05-12-2010, 11:47 AM
What part of the lake did you fish cannon?
I fish the part where there is nobody else fishing. If people move in on me I move. I don't like the bumper boat action that some seem to relish. Last time out I fished the perimeter of the lake in about 30-60' of water from the ramp to the dam and up the other side. Finished up across from the ramp. The guy with me had to be back for Mothers Day so I put my rod up and started getting things put in order. Trolled back across the lake running at 2.2 MPH and boated three more. Funny how they seem so willing to jump on the hook going that fast, I thought GP was always a slowwwww lake 101ok101

kokaneekid
05-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I fish the part where there is nobody else fishing. If people move in on me I move. I don't like the bumper boat action that some seem to relish. Last time out I fished the perimeter of the lake in about 30-60' of water from the ramp to the dam and up the other side. Finished up across from the ramp. The guy with me had to be back for Mothers Day so I put my rod up and started getting things put in order. Trolled back across the lake running at 2.2 MPH and boated three more. Funny how they seem so willing to jump on the hook going that fast, I thought GP was always a slowwwww lake 101ok101

I'm with you I hate combat fishing... I would rather catch less fish and have the area all to myself. Last weekend it looked like most people were down by the Island so we went the opposite direction & it payed off. We fished the same perimeter just out in deeper water.

Lip Ripper
05-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I was on the water at 6:00 AM and had 25 fish in the boat at 9:30 and that's AM not PM. Yesterday they didn't want to come to the boat so I lost several, today it was better I only lost 7. Now to get them in the brine and then to the smoker. 101chromefish101

eric71m
05-12-2010, 04:31 PM
nice job!!!

kokaneekid
05-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I was on the water at 6:00 AM and had 25 fish in the boat at 9:30 and that's AM not PM. Yesterday they didn't want to come to the boat so I lost several, today it was better I only lost 7. Now to get them in the brine and then to the smoker. 101chromefish101

Maybe we shouldn't be giving this information out. I normally wait four days to post my reports on IFISH. Now I'm rethinking it. Good job Ripper... If my boat gets back I might go Saturday. It could be a short day of fishing right....

Cannon
05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Maybe we shouldn't be giving this information out. I normally wait four days to post my reports on IFISH. Now I'm rethinking it. The more fish that are caught now, the larger the fish will be later. Most people that fish the lake don't have a clue anyway.nananana

river hunter
05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
awesomereport101goodpost101thumbsuptooexcited

kokaneekid
05-12-2010, 11:58 PM
The more fish that are caught now, the larger the fish will be later. Most people that fish the lake don't have a clue anyway.nananana

I'm not worried about running out of fish to catch I'm worried about parking!!!! 101flip101

skookum9
05-13-2010, 01:36 AM
I think it's great you guys are willing to share your information with others. I look at it as a sign of a guy who is capable of catching fish regularly and doesn't consider another successful fisherman a threat. I'm not likely to make a trip to this lake any time soon but if I ever do the info you've provided will likely help me to have more success and more fun, so I give to you my thanks. I'm hoping to get a quick trip to Odell this weekend and give them a good once over up there. Anybody else giving some thought to this? Maybe I'll see someone from here up there.

river hunter
05-13-2010, 01:50 AM
ill deffantly be there both saturday and sunday for certain. look for a 20'smokercraft jet, well prob launch at thisle an motor near the island and do a few passed before we head down to the damn.. if yea see us, stop by and say hi

Lip Ripper
05-14-2010, 10:23 AM
When I post my fishing report it is aimed at the younger generation on how and where to catch fish. I am sure most of you have been there wanting to know what to use and where to fish. I get several phone call and emails on how to catch Kokanee. I was always taught to help my neighbor. Fishing Kokanee is mostly not what you use but how you use it. I have learned this after thirty years of fishing Kokanee. So I am here to help the younger people catch fish so PM me if you need help. Older people I will help you to. There is nothing greater than a young person holding a fish with a big smile. signfishin101chromefish101

smokin' Kokes
05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
sharing kokanee techniques and what they are hitting on currently helps the whole sport.
the more of us, the more influence we have with Fed. and St level fish and game officials. 20,000 kokanee fishermen can have a loud voice.
remember, there is only so large a pot of Fed. sporting goods excise tax and state license fees to go around for all the groups. the loud noisy fish gets to eat first.

kokanee are the perfect fishery to start kids on. got great enjoyment taking my kids and teaching them, now the grandkids beg to go.

kokes have a short life cycle then they spawn and die. we catch them or the majority go to waste. most lakes that have kokes in them have little to no natural spawning areas. sad to see them futility squirting their eggs out in a shallow area along the lake shore or at some trickling water fall.

the more fishermen fishing for them, the more smaller ones caught early in the season, the larger the remainder grow on limited food.