PDA

View Full Version : Wickiup 5/2

Fallriverguy
05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
I fished Wickiup with a friend Sunday. Some days prove to be easier than other and this was a somewhat less easy day.

It was another windy day on the lake, not as bad as last weekend, but still plenty bumpy. The morning started promising with many bites right off the bat with a pearlescent RMT hoochie. Many of the bites did not stick, but we were not worried because the bite seemed on. Of course the bite soon turned off for us. Try as I might, I could not buy a bite after that even though the FF was full of fish.

Watching other boats I noticed one that seemed to have its net flying more often than anyone else. Fortunately it was fisherman I knew and was able to find out they had one lure that was working. I tried to match the hatch and soon had a hand tied lure getting water time. It was not long before it was getting bit, but still no solid hook-ups. I tied up another lure for my friend. That got bit too, but it was comical, almost, the number of strikes we had that did not stick. We maybe landed 25% of the bites we had that morning. We left with 4 fish at about noon and went to fish a place closer to the boat ramp as we had to leave in a couple of hours.

While we did not mark as many fish in this other spot, we finally started getting some action on a tri-colored R&K hoochie behind a large Shasta Tackle sling blade. We put 8 more fish in the boat in the next 1.5 hours.
The catch for day was ultimately respectable, but I know of two boats that fared better and also got into bigger fish. We had one 16” fish and the rest were 12-13”.

SilverBullets
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM
awesomereportThanks for the report Brian. We were planning on fishing it Thursday (not much wind) but now the weather report is calling for some snow showers tonight and Wednesday so might go to Ochoco instead. crymeariver