PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee and spawning

Kokonuts
09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
This is my first year fishing strictly for Kokanee & I am starting to
see them turning to pink getting ready to spawn.

So far I've released them and I am thinking that the season must be over.
What effect does spawning have on the fishing season? Is it over? Wait till next spring or what?

Thanks in advance!.....Kokonuts thumbsup

Propnut69
09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
First of all ,Welcome to KFF,you ask some very good questions.

So far I've released them and I am thinking that the season must be over. Even through the koke season is temperately closed,some of the best fishing of the year is about to start. If you don't mind catching big browns and bows ,that will make your drag sing a sweet tune. Right now the usual algae bloom is going on with at gorge.Looks like pea green soup in some places. When the water temps drop a few degs,all this floating crap will settle back to the bottom. After the water clears and stabilizes ,then the rainbows and the browns will want to play..Browns will be spawning in the late fall. Koke season opens up again, on dec 1st and and if conditions are right ,there are salmon still to be caught.
What effect does spawning have on the fishing season? Well obviously it take the kokes outta play which is a good thing. Them poor fish have been hammered on all summer,:) Lets all hope that the kokes have a great spawn this year.Is it over? Not for me it's not.Weather wise this is my favorite time of the year to fish the gorge. Cool mornings ,warm afternoons,with little wind. The fish are wanting to play,it don't get any better then that. With both macks and browns spawning in the fall, they will be in full spawning colors. Some very pretty fish can be caught.Wait till next spring or what See abovethumbsup

P.S. I just noticed that you are from the northwest,sorry I didn't notice sooner. But this is what is happening here at the local level.

MackPrince
09-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Kokonuts-
For WA I am going to stop in at the local DFW office (3 blocks from my school) sometime this week to see what regs are in place for kokes this time of year. For me I stopped fishing when the 4 year old's started the spawning phase. There should be plenty of 1-2-3 year old fish out there to catch but I agree with releasing the brooders.

kochanut
09-16-2008, 10:44 PM
haha nice screen name. as said the season is not over, its just starting. in certain bodies of water kok's will run all winter long at different stages.