PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota?

binthere50
04-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Hi Fellas, I have a question. My boat a NorthRiver 21ft with Yam 225hp main and Yamaha t-8 kicker for trolling, set up for Gorge Kokes. I have a Panther unit on it and the new trollpro3 steering and throttle all in one handheld unit. Right now it does not work right, the throttle control s wacked out and it will not steer the kicker anymore,,,,,Thinking of putting a MinnKota on the front to help or does it help??..........Boats brand new so I want to do it right......any suggestions form the pros here would be helpful to my decision making.....
21ft Northriver seahawk, 3 Scotty elec riggers, all the **** I need in the boat.
Should I **** can the Panther and go to the garmin unit?....the autoplilot and still install a electric trollerl up front?.....I dont know what is best at this piont.....Hope to hear some suggestions soon!.........Mike

SuperD
04-30-2010, 10:16 AM
It sounds like you have the right set up now. Do you think the problem is strictly coming from the trollpro3? Cabelas has them on sale right now for $249. (a lot less than a new Minn Kota system with batteries)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0030614019563a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=trollmaster&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23
An electric upfront is a good back up but I haven't ever gotten a full day of fishing out of a fresh set of batteries. I generally have to switch over to the kicker by mid afternoon.

Trophy Taker
04-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Is your pro-troll only acting up after you have been running your kicker for awhile?

SuperD
04-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Something just came to me. I remember that the control boxes occassionally get zapped and lose the programming. I had to send my box back once to get it re-programmed. It was back in about 10 days. Send your box back in and have it checked.

Trophy Taker
04-30-2010, 10:45 PM
The reason I ask is, I have one of these units (but not the troll master3) and noticed it would usually start to work fine, however after the kicker had been running awhile then my troll master would start to go crazy, the engine would rev high then low. Turns out when the wire was run, it was run over the battery wires and to close to the regulator on the T-8. So when the regulator sensed the battery was at full charge it would counter pulse and subsiquently cause the troll master to kick on an off. I drilled a hole near the choke and ran the troll master wire through there and have never had another problem with the unit.

binthere50
05-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks Guys!...I will send the unit back in and see what happens.....
I called Pro Troll today and he said it's an easy fix!.....Thanks!!!!!