PDA

View Full Version : Wickiup Report 4-24-10

Fallriverguy
04-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Russ and I hit the lake a little late, hoping to avoid the early AM rush. We launched a little after 8:00 and headed over towards the Davis arm. We marked some fish, set the anchor and started jigging. Almost immediately, I got a real nice Kokanee and then the drought was on. After switching and switching and switching and switching, I got another one. We spent at least an hour and half switching and jigging, but only got the two fish. We then got ready to do some prospecting and trolled around a bit. We got both lines done on the riggers and had two more long lining and headed SE more or less following the shoreline. We trolled for a while and my fishing partner hung up bad and lost what were his favorite dodger and a white hoochie. After that we headed towards the dam and marked a lot of fish. Russ tied on a new sling blade and hoochie and we got to fishing again.

Fishing was slow until we found the area where we caught most of our fish about 12:30 and had three strikes in the first minute. It slowed a little after about 2 hours then and only Russ was getting consistent bites. We were fishing in 30-40 feet of water. With the wind it was hard to keep the speed down so our trolling speed was 1.3-1.6 most of the day. We picked up one or two fish and lost some as well on each pass before we ended the day with a double.

This was our first chance to fish with two rods. I think we landed an additional 5 fish with the extra rods. We fished the top rod long lining baby cowbells with Apexes. These were getting hit at first once we found the fish. We set the downrigger accordingly and were fishing at 5-7 feet. Once the top rods stopped producing we dropped the downrigger to 12-18 feet because the fish had moved down. However, we had our share of "two-rod" blues and had plenty of tangled up messes before we pretty much decided that it was too windy to keep the second rods out.

Russ had the hot lure for the day. It was an R&K hoochie with a pearlescent UV head with the tail dyed pink. He paired that with a Shasta tackle Sling Blade with UV tape and pink fish bone prism tape. I had some luck with a straight pearlescent UV hoochie but it stopped producing after a couple of hours. I tried to match the hoochie hatch with little luck. It seems I should have tried other spinners than the one I put down for a while.

The water temperature was 44 degrees. The fish already were on the feed. I could not tell what was in their stomachs as it was too small. Their stomachs were not very full so I suspect they have just begun to feed. We ended up with 19 fish for the day.

Thanks for joining me Russ, and blood in my boat is a good thing so no worries.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8250/wickiup100424.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/i/wickiup100424.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

twisted lines
04-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for sharing FRG! I had to see if the old gas had any spark left this weekend it did! See you out there soon tooexcited I have tied a few hoochies with no blades101ok101 retied a couple Apex think I may have a new spinner or two and just hope to find something they will hit before the bugs return. May even see the (low rider) SB this year laugh hyst

SilverBullets
04-27-2010, 08:22 PM
awesomereportThanks for sharing Brian... Sounds like you and Russ got into em pretty good. How did you like the new dock?

Fallriverguy
04-28-2010, 11:41 AM
The new dock is nice. If only people would not work on their motors on the ramp.

southside
04-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the great report and the pic.

Peace, Tom