PDA

View Full Version : Where is the California DFG Koke planting history

Full_Monte
09-14-2008, 02:40 PM
I saw this last week somewhere, but can't find it now. It was a nice list showing all the California Lakes and the number of fish planted by year. Thanks!

HiTechKoke
09-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey Monte - You are probably referring to this document that Project Kokanee put together as it has what you are looking for probably...

http://www.kokanee.org/PROJECTS/kokanee_plants.pdf

Full_Monte
09-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Hello HiTechKoke,

Yes, that's the one. Thanks! I just read that the planted Kokes are considered by the DFG to be 1 year old at time of planting because they grow them faster in the hatcheries. Do you look at 3-4 years as the lead time, or 2-3 years as the chart says?

Thanks again!

HiTechKoke
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
In general the information I have heard is that the fish can be 3 or 4 year fish and they are considered 1 year at plant. They are gathered the previous fall. So for 3 year fish look at 2006 and 4 year fish 2005. I sure wish we could age them with a simple test. This year has been a mixed grade of fish at many California lakes probably due to the low plant in 2006 but the size difference between two classes is enough to believe 3 year and 4 year fish are mixed but just my speculation. Berryessa for example had this bigger early strain 17-18 (probably 4 year) and the 15-6 inchers also maturing but probably 3 year fish.