PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from Wickiup 2009

kokaneekid
04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Dad wanted me to post some of his pictures from the 2009 Wickiup trip. We are going to return this year, and are looking forward to picking up some bigger ones. We’ll ok if they are around the same size I guess we would be happy! If anyone has a report from Wickiup for this year please pass it on. I hope the fish have shoulders again this year.

eenakoK
04-25-2010, 10:48 PM
101goodpost101
thanks for sharing the pics! Good luck this year as well!

skookum9
04-25-2010, 11:50 PM
I was supposed to go to Wickiup this weekend but went to Merwin instead. Got a message from a buddy of mine who did fish Wickiup that said they were running small this year, at least the one's he caught. I think he said they were about 10 to 13 inches. That's a real disappointment when compared to the last few years but I guess that's fishing. They seemed pretty small in Merwin too but that's a story for another post.

SilverBullets
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Those are some nice pictures kokanee kid...tell your Dad Thankyou for sharing!101goodpost101 My Dad and I plan on trying Wickiup out this year. What time of year were those kokes caught...looks like they had been feeding for a while.

kokaneekid
04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Those are some nice pictures kokanee kid...tell your Dad Thankyou for sharing!101goodpost101 My Dad and I plan on trying Wickiup out this year. What time of year were those kokes caught...looks like they had been feeding for a while.

He caught them in July 2009.

kokaguy1
04-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Dad wanted me to post some of his pictures from the 2009 Wickiup trip. We are going to return this year, and are looking forward to picking up some bigger ones. We’ll ok if they are around the same size I guess we would be happy! If anyone has a report from Wickiup for this year please pass it on. I hope the fish have shoulders again this year.

Nice catch, but I'm curious, why you would want to keep so many fish.

kokaneekid
04-29-2010, 12:25 AM

You are joking right…. Please tell me you have eaten Kokanee. I think it is the best tasting fish around, and those were caught early in the season. My dad almost has a full time job cleaning and smoking Kokanee. Plus if I would have told you that his boat caught 65 fish at Wickiup last year that were around 18 inches and took a picture of five I think someone would have called BS. You know what they say, “A picture in worth a thousand words”. Those pictures are worth around two thousand words. I’m not a catch a release kind of guy unless it’s a Rainbow.

skookum9
04-29-2010, 02:49 AM
I'm with you, Kokaneekid. I catch fish to eat and it doesn't take me long to down these tasty little guys. Although, I think brook trout will run with the best that kokanee have to offer in taste. But usually you can't keep as many brookies except in lakes where they tend to run very small. And I will keep rainbows if that's all there is to eat where I am fishing, but I don't tend to keep the nasty bass that I run into in some of the lakes I fish.

smokin' Kokes
04-29-2010, 01:01 PM
kokaguy1,

welcome. kokanee are a special case of NO catch and release. all the adult fish in the picture and that we catch are mature fish that will spawn in the fall and thus their growth potential ends in a few months. their carcasses rot in the spawning stream.
we all harvest only what we can and will eat. kokanee are so delicious table fair that most of us have non fishing "friends" begging us for extra fish.
most areas have more than enough fall spawning fish each season to carry on the bounty. if fact, some lakes have too many fish which result in small size from insufficient feed supplies, Yale is an example

see you at Merwin, don't sink the boat with fishnanananasignfishin101chromefish101

cliff

crjahn
04-29-2010, 04:16 PM
My Dad is tougher than your dad, stop it. I agree with all who posted but let me explain, repeat “IT”S NOT ABOUT NUMBERS”, its about letting people know the value of the KOKANEE FISHERY and our effort to protect, preserver, enhance and sustain it. It is ONE of the few fisheries where retaining fish for consumption is not looked down on, or shouldn’t be looked down on. I used to have routes of elderly people to share my good fortune with; some smoked some filleted all on ice delivered to the door, most have passed on now. Always BBQ’S with friends and family all you can eat Kokanee candy, cleaned, prepared and cooked. Nothing every went to waste, picky about cleaning, scaling and handling. When I’d get back from an adventure, I’d work late into the night preparing them so they would be the best, it wasn’t work it was the right thing to do. I still get excited remembering about the elderly asking “When you are going fishing again” or my grandchildren asking if they can “Have some more”. I agree brook trout cooked over an open fire, equally as good or maybe I was hungrier at a high mountain lake I packed into. Spring Chinook right up their but combat fishing not for me any more. Question “Why so many” Fact: two people four or five days sixty plus fish, larger ones eighteen plus inches, released all German Browns we caught, had a ball, priceless. “REPEAT IT’S NOT ABOUT NUMBERS” Five fish a day or so, it’s a wonder we didn’t get laughed off the lake. Pictures can be deceiving and If someone what to say BS, its ok. I caught more, bigger, faster and I say “I’m really happy about your good fortune”. In my HO, I’ve had the pleasure to meet and talk with just a few of the world class Kokanee Fisherman that hang here and it’s not about more, more, more. Fish on

ok doke
04-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Kokanee from Wickiup 2008.

This is why I keep them.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/okdoke100/001-1.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/okdoke100/003-2.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/okdoke100/005-3.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/okdoke100/006-1.jpg