PDA

View Full Version : Shaver Lake 9-5-08 to 9-7-08 KP Derby Fun!

HiTechKoke
09-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Fished Shaver Lake this last weekend for the KP Derby. Shaver is such a beautiful lake setting that it is worth the long drive from the Bay area. I did some pre-fishing late Thursday afternoon and Friday and found the Kokanee in their usual spots from last year as they can't hide in to many places at this lake.

Friday was productive for scouting and establishing what I hoped to be the killer lures and I worked myself up to getting a nice 17 incher that was turning red. Also had fun playing with the video as well. Just like last year though derby day was tougher. I had Khanh Tran and his daughter Connie on my boat for the derby as my kids were busy and could not make the trip. We caught enough fish for the weigh in but just no big boys for us adults except for Connie's which was a nice 17 incher that held up for 3rd in the junior division so she was happy.

Fish were in the 45 to 80 foot range but it seemed like 65-70 was the better depths for us most of the time. Through out the trip the fish took a variety of lures from spinners to Hoochies and RGT's. Most of the time it was RMT spinners in varisou pink / purple and chartreuse falvors. The red (I call it orange) RGT was a good produces of fish as well along with some RMT hoochies as well.

How about some photos! Here ya go....

1. You have to start with a sunrise.
2. My best fish of the trip... 17 inches from Friday.
3. Not how this fish came in hog tied as it got itself into two RMT Assassin spinners (high and low)!
4. Unwrap that fish and you have one happy girl!

Here's a few fishy video to go along with the trip this time. Make sure to click on the "watch in higher quality" link in the lower right of the video window as it will help improve quality a bit.

This one is my favorite of the year so far.... a 17 inch buck that attacked the lure.... no messing around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MERmv5wj32c

Now for some multiple fish stalkers and a few strikes....and one curious fish who liked the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3ub1qIHYA

And lastly a fun video I didn't realize I captured where the down rigger balls were dragging bottom and the video from it is pretty obvious. What is better is you can spot a few big fish there in the background. There are two for you to find. :-) No they did not bite. Ignore the red/white weight.... that was just to keep the clip in camera view with the lure which was a Sockeye slammer in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsvYQZ1bDQs

Got to meet RMT Cory as well..,, and they placed 15th with their crew.

Kevin

Full_Monte
09-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow! The video is great! I'm amazed at how far they follow the hook before striking. I bet you learn a lot from watching the videos. Our largest at Huntington was 16 inches Aug. 20. They were all silver..no red. Some females had eggs in them though.

FishHunter
09-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Those are very interesting videos. Like Full Monte suggested, I imagine you could study your videos and learn a lot about kokes and their striking habits and the different scents they like or don't like. Do you use them very often?

HiTechKoke
09-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Wow! The video is great! I'm amazed at how far they follow the hook before striking. I bet you learn a lot from watching the videos. Our largest at Huntington was 16 inches Aug. 20. They were all silver..no red. Some females had eggs in them though.

Hey Monte - Good to know about Huntington as we really see / hear very few reports about that lake. There's nothing wrong with a 16 inch Koke.... ( I know those Gorge guys are chuckling) but that's what we have to work with out here.

HiTechKoke
09-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Those are very interesting videos. Like Full Monte suggested, I imagine you could study your videos and learn a lot about kokes and their striking habits and the different scents they like or don't like. Do you use them very often?

I've definitely learned a lot from watching endless hours editing the videos. Most of the time I'm just recording and don't have time to watch in real time but the kids do some of the time and of course we all get excited when we see one stalking. Lots of things have been learned, not so much about the scent changes but the behavior and the amazing part of how many fish are actually stalking the lures on a regular basis but just not in the biting mood. Put a few Kokes together though and they will get more aggressive like kids trying to show off. When they are not in the mood it like play time for them and just something to follow around.

Lure action (particularly dodgers) and relation to your boat speed have been useful to help correlate what kind of action seems to be good... of course that not necessarily consistent. Fun stuff though and I have lots more video to go through from this summer as it takes a good while to process.

Kevin

Petty4life
09-12-2008, 09:12 PM
thats cool, thanks for sharing Kevinthumbsup