PDA

View Full Version : Lake Stevens

Gene
04-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Need some reports from Lake Stevens, its my local lake and I want to take the family including my three and a half year old son out for a good days catch, anyone having luck, I caught one small in february. wondering whats going on now ?

Gene

eenakoK
04-17-2010, 11:47 PM
I have heard they are doing good. They are getting ready for the Derby up there. It should be just getting good.

Mr. Kok
04-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Went out yesterday {Lake Stevens} and caught 6 ~ 11-14" on the standard wedding ring dodger corn. It was slow in the morning, then at about 10 am we had a double on and two more right after that. The weather could not have been better. Man they are good eating.

Gene
04-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Nice looking fish will try to get out during the week but for sure next weekend.

Gene

smokin' Kokes
04-21-2010, 08:06 PM
nice deep fat fish. lots of feed.

Went out yesterday {Lake Stevens} and caught 6 ~ 11-14" on the standard wedding ring dodger corn. It was slow in the morning, then at about 10 am we had a double on and two more right after that. The weather could not have been better. Man they are good eating.

Gene
04-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Anyone else fish Stevens today and get skunked, I threw everything at them today, not even much to mark.

Gene

jcriswell
04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
It's nice to know I wasn't the only one.
Only put in around 3hrs without a bite.

JWS
04-25-2010, 10:54 PM
I have been getting out on Stevens at least once a week without much luck. went up to Baker lake for the weekend and the koke bite was really good. I even got to see a guy catch about a six or seven pound dolly after it ate the six inch kokanee on his line. m

Mr. Kok
04-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Went out Friday afternoon 4/23 in the wind and rain. Got 8 in the boat 12-14" and lost another 12 at 12-16 feet deep on the downrigger with the usual dodger, wedding ring, corn, sent.

Gene
04-26-2010, 06:21 PM
what kind of dodger were you using ? and how far back was your wedding ring off your dodger. im having this delima, i buy pre rigged wedding rings and dont want to cut too short.

Gene

Smalma
04-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Gene -
The most commonly used dodgers are 4/0 in either silver or half and half (silver and brass). I like to have either reflective tape or "dimples" on my dodgers.

I usually fish on wedding rings on 30 inch leaders. I strongly advise that you re-tie your pre-packaged wedding rings. Cut the beads, spinner, clevis, etc from the leader and put on a new 10# leader that you tied with double hooks (about 1/2 inch apart) using size #2 hooks. You will find much better hooking and landing ratios with those modifications

Tight lines
Curt

eenakoK
04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Gene -
The most commonly used dodgers are 4/0 in either silver or half and half (silver and brass). I like to have either reflective tape or "dimples" on my dodgers.

I usually fish on wedding rings on 30 inch leaders. I strongly advise that you re-tie your pre-packaged wedding rings. Cut the beads, spinner, clevis, etc from the leader and put on a new 10# leader that you tied with double hooks (about 1/2 inch apart) using size #2 hooks. You will find much better hooking and landing ratios with those modifications

Tight lines
Curt

101goodpost101

Funny enough, I was just writing that same post.. luckily, my computer freaked out and I saw you post that before I sent it off.

I agree 100 percent. I retie everything I get, I have really like using the Gamakatsu Drop Shot/Split shot hooks. I have seemd to get better hooking ratios when using those.

Smalma
04-26-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm another fan of drop shot hooks. After experimenting with at least 8 other hook makes/style the gammi drop shot out performed ( in terms of landed to hooke ratio) all of them by a pretty wide margin.

Tight lines
Curt

Gene
04-26-2010, 11:24 PM
I just need to lern how to tie them now. i dont know how to tie the double. do you tie them snell(wrap around the shank of the hook first ? thank you for all your help. I really want to tie my own stuff but get stuck on the hook part, how to get the hooks on there like the pre made ones, i think they use a machine.

smokin' Kokes
04-26-2010, 11:47 PM
snell eye loop
high BW
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/movies/bigmqloop.mpg

low BW
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/movies/smlqloop.mpg

link works best on IE.

tie on the first hook, the back one
leave the front line long enough for the completed leader length
i use about 2 ft and then trim off when i get ready to use the rigging.

slide the second hook down the line and position how far forward from first hook that you want it and orientation, pointing up or down from the back hook
repeat same type of egg hook tie
saliva to lubricate line so knots are tight and line does not burn on tightening.
pull line end out the eye of hook and pull snug

i use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold hook by bend while pulling line knot ties tight. saves sinking those sharp Gamakatsu into the bone.

Gene
04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
thanks alot for the advice think i will get to practicing.

Gene

eenakoK
04-27-2010, 12:23 AM
thanks alot for the advice think i will get to practicing.

Gene

Good Luck!!

Mr. Kok
04-27-2010, 11:35 AM
what kind of dodger were you using ? and how far back was your wedding ring off your dodger. im having this delima, i buy pre rigged wedding rings and dont want to cut too short.

Gene

Hi Gene,

Smalma covered the exact set-up I use, although sometimes I use a #10 treble instead of the double hook set if I am loosing fish on the double and vice versa, just depends how they are biting that day. The color of beads depends on the day but the hammered brass blade seems to be working best on the wedding ring this year. I also use sent, experiment and you will find out what works best for you. Another resource is Greg @ Greg’s Custom Rods in Lake Stevens, he is a great guy.

Good luck out there ~ Brent

Gene
04-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks Mr. Koke, I enjoy Stevens, its a lake that I can Launch on easy, and have the little ones on with ease. just need to fine tune some equipment for it. I know to run a hoochie behind a dodger about 10 inches, do I run a beaded spinner behind a dodger 30 inches ? I know this question I have asked already , im just trying to get visual.

eenakoK
04-27-2010, 02:48 PM
I tie my leaders so the end of the hooks is 30" from my dodger. I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you any..

Good Luck!

Gene
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
No more confusion here, stream a beaded spinner behind a 4/0 dodger in dimpled bronze, silver 50/50 30 inches, and a hoochie at about 10 inches behind same hardware.

commander
04-29-2010, 10:51 PM
I heard that you are supposed to run a leader 3 times the length of the dodger when trolling a weddingring. I am new to koke fishing, just trying to understand

Mr. Kok
04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Commander -

That is a starting point but set-ups can vary depending on what mood the kok's are in that day.

The advice is this tread is very spot on for Lake Stevens.

Good Luck ~ Brent

SilverBullets
04-30-2010, 11:21 AM
I heard that you are supposed to run a leader 3 times the length of the dodger when trolling a weddingring. I am new to koke fishing, just trying to understand

I generally go a bit longer on spinners since the blade gives the lure some action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XftkLboMTew

commander
05-02-2010, 08:06 PM
thanks for the replies fellas. My son and I went out to Lk. Stevens on friday night and did very well, but we did have to swtch up gear as the bite faded. Red Fire Corn tipped hooks seemed to be the ticket