PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming- Aquatic Invasive Species(AIS) Decal

Bduck
04-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Purchased the AIS decal from Wyoming so I can boat in the waters of Wyoming and of course Flaming Gorge. Out of state cost me $30. Once purchased on line, you can print out proof of purchase and be legal in Wyoming waters until a decal is mailed to you. The printout is temporary and good for 15days from date of purchase.

Bduck
04-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Here are some details from Wyoming.

oldguysrule
04-20-2010, 07:36 AM
That is just a lot of bull. As BDuck said by the time all of the states get thru with this our boats will look like a bilboard.

Bduck
04-20-2010, 11:31 AM
The things we do to go fishing. Nowa days I have a hard time showing proof of who I am including to myself. I don't have enough ID's in my wallet. 101thumbsdown101

Propnut69
04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
I found this on another site that I visit time to time... Thought it might help some ,to have a better understanding of what AIS are and their affects.

Reproduction Rate:

Zebra mussels reach sexual maturity when they are about one-half inch in length. A single female typically produces from 30,000 to 100,000 eggs per season, but can produce a million eggs in a single season. Reproduction can occurs when water temperatures are between 54 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Due to their high reproductive rate and the limited number of natural predators, zebra mussels can significantly populate a body of water in two or three years. They can cluster together with hundreds of thousands per square meter.

Impact Problems:

The zebra mussel's reproductive and living habits have raised concerns that they may affect the American aquatic environment. By altering the food chain and water chemistry, as well as through sheer numbers of mussels, native aquatic species may be adversely impacted.

Zebra mussels are a major problem for basically any man made facilities either built in water or that transport water. They clog water intake pipes and disrupting water withdrawal operations. This causes problems with lakeshore municipalities and industries, power plants, farms and irrigation systems. High water flow rates inside pipes provide a constant source of food for the mussels. There, they cluster in mats on top of each other, lining the inside of pipes. The larger facilities of the Great Lakes are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars each year in efforts to eradicate the Zebra mussel.

Zebra mussels feed by filtering water and removing microscopic plants and animals. These organisms form the basis for the food chain in aquatic ecosystems. The productivity of systems containing zebra mussels is dramatically lowered as a result of the vast amount of water that is filtered by zebra mussels. As a result, the pounds of fish that these systems can support is dramatically lowered and can lead to reductions in angling success.

It is very common for swimmers, waders and scuba divers to get cuts from the shells of zebra mussels, they are Very sharp. As a precaution, one should wear tennis shoes when swimming or wading in these waters and definitely do not brush up against clusters of zebra mussels.

As mentioned, Zebra mussels are invasive, this pic is a Very Early Stage of their clustering.....being 6" thick off of one surface is not uncommon!

Problems and Solutions for Boaters:

Boat owners who frequent known zebra mussel waters (see above) should be especially cautious. The mussels attach themselves to, and grow within, water intakes of both inboard and outboard motors. Subsequent restriction of water flow can cause motors to overheat.

They also attach themselves to boat hulls, which affects boat handling, reduces fuel efficiency and slows boat speed. If a boat hull feels grainy or gritty, it might be covered with young zebra mussels, which are about .02 millimeters long.

As prevention, boats should not be left in the water for extended periods of time. With regular use, engine heat will keep mussels from colonizing inside most engine parts. Because microscopic zebra mussel larvae can be unknowingly transported in bilges, engine cooling systems, minnow buckets, live wells and anywhere water is trapped, the following pre- cautions should be taken to help slow their spread.
- Drain the bilge water, live wells and bait buckets.
- Inspect the boat and trailer immediately upon leaving the water.
- Scrape off any zebra mussels found. Do not return them to the water.
- If possible, dry the boat and trailer for at least a week before entering another waterway. If not, do the next step below.
- Wash boat parts and accessories that contact the water using hot water (at least 140 degrees F.), a 10 percent solution of household chlorine bleach and water, or a hot saltwater solution. Do not wash your boat at the boat ramp where these solutions could pollute the water. Always finish with a clean water rinse.

onlychild
04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
got mine last sat. ( TEMP) sticker should be here in 10 days

fishrman
04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
do you have to have a sticker in utah?

Propnut69
04-20-2010, 09:53 PM
do you have to have a sticker in utah?

no you sure don't need a sticker for Utah. As long as you stay in Utah waters. If you come to the Wyoming side of the gorge,then a sticker will be required.

onlychild
04-20-2010, 10:39 PM
my boat is reg. in wyo. and stays in a slip on the wyo. side so sooner or later I'll get asked

Propnut69
04-20-2010, 11:44 PM
my boat is reg. in wyo. and stays in a slip on the wyo. side so sooner or later I'll get asked

Your are right,,,,I thinks the fishcops are going to be very busy when this program takes affect.

froggie
04-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the info. What's the online web address, Bduck?? Is the $30.00 decal good for a year? Guess we'll have to get one since we'll be fishing from Buckboard RV/Marina.
Froggie

Bduck
04-21-2010, 12:43 AM
froggie, you can bring up Wyoming's fishing reg's and search for aquatic invasive species. You'll fill out an online application and it will take your credit card number. Once your fee is paid, you can print out your proof of purchase. I made 2 copies, 1 to go in my truck and the other in my boat until I get the actual decal.

Paddleman
05-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I purchased my sticker via the web. Before I did I spoke to a Wy. Fish and Game Warden by phone. He informed me if I would be fishing the Gorge this year I would need the sticker on my boat based on where my put in and take out would be on the Gorge. The sticker did not prevent me from fishing in Wy. waters on the gorge if I put in at Lucern and took out there. But if I put in at Buckboard and take out there that an inspection and sticker review would be on site. Utah at this time has not adopted the sticker program or inspection for the musscels. Makes no sence to me that both states would not adopt the same criteria since it is the same body of water.

bobco
05-01-2010, 02:10 PM
so if I put in and take out only at lucrene there is no need for sticker? Last trip at Lucrene I did not see anything other than the self serve paper same as last year, cool with me I have enough sticker and fees allready....

smokedtrout
05-01-2010, 03:27 PM
The bottom line is the greatest threat to WYO waters getting impacted by AIS is from out of state boats. I have no problem at all with an out of state boat having to pay $30 a year to fish Wyoming. Personally I would have liked to seen that fee higher.

Propnut69
05-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Makes no sence to me that both states would not adopt the same criteria since it is the same body of water.

You’re looking at the small picture here. Remember the ais sticker applies to ALL of Wyoming waters, not just the Wyoming side of the gorge. Wyoming cannot enforce their States laws, upon another state.

QUOTE=bobco;17694]so if I put in and take out only at lucrene there is no need for sticker? Last trip at Lucrene I did not see anything other than the self serve paper same as last year, cool with me I have enough sticker and fees already....[/QUOTE]

True as long as you don’t venture into Wyoming’s waters. This is how it was explained to me by the local fishcop. If a boater puts in on the Wyoming side of the gorge, that boater will need a sticker. If a boater puts in on the Utah side, and stays on the Utah side, a sticker will not be needed. If a boater puts in on the Utah side, and ventures into Wyoming waters, then a sticker will be needed.

Bduck
05-01-2010, 06:46 PM
The bottom line is the greatest threat to WYO waters getting impacted by AIS is from out of state boats. I have no problem at all with an out of state boat having to pay $30 a year to fish Wyoming. Personally I would have liked to seen that fee higher.

The $30 fee is ample for which I don't have a problem puting out that much. I think it should be incorporated with the recipricol stamp since the Gorge is already shared with both states. Out of state boats with the possibilty of AIS can launch on the Utah side, never venture to the Wyoming side and beat paying a fee just by filling out a questionaire providing they stay on Utah side. All of the Gorge waters take a risk of being infected. With the dam and power plant on the Utah side, Utah maybe needs to get in on the act in charging fees as well. Wyoming stands a chance of loosing some of its tourist revenue just because of a fee. Also this fee can be tacked onto your annual fishing license at a much lower rate instead of making just the boaters paying for it. It doesn't look good when you have 4 guys fishing in one boat and one poor smuck pays for all the fees so his buddies can enjoy the fishing at the boat owners expense. Its only the boaters that are targeted from what I'm seeing. Whats wrong with this picture? Its just a matter of time before the 101idea101 comes on. Typical beauracratic wanna-be lawmakers without the usual common sense.

froggie
05-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info...guess I better go online & get the sticker ordered, so we have it for our summer trip. We'll be putting in & taking out at Buckboard. Did someone already post the web address?
Froggie

skookum9
05-02-2010, 05:33 AM
I want to know what kind of poison they are putting on this sticker that will kill all invasive species that are of concern. Sorry, just had to take another poke at the rediculous "tax-the-devil-out-of-the-people" and "regulate-them-senseless" mentalities that have run amok in our government agencies. I agree completely that we need to stop these things from overtaking our waters. But I will never understand why people buy into the whole throwing more money at a problem instead of just knuckling down and fixing it. I guess I'm just too old fashioned in my thinking. It's not as much the cost of these lame ideas that will keep me from spending my money at any of the waters that have such regulations, it's the hassle and the principal itself.

smokedtrout
05-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Obviously you out of state fishermen don't know what happened at the Legislature that precipitated this. First, about 1/2 the funding was cut out of the bill. Second, the Legislature allowed WYO Game and Fish to only hire one additional full time employee for this program. Only one!! Then the Legislature told Game and Fish they had to raise the balance of the money. So, $1.5 million was allocated from the State and the sticker program that was put in place will generate another $780,000. Not big funding by any stretch for a program that has to ramp up, get all its equipment and be running by the time the anglers hit the water. (The Gov. signed the bill in early March).

Why do the boaters foot a big chunk? Obviously that is where the AIS will come from. Last season, just by luck, a boater from California was caught launching at Buckboard with live zebra mussels on his boat! Utah (who is way ahead of WYO on this) was gracious enough to bring thier decontamination equipment to Buckboard to clean the boat.

Why do the out of state people pay more? Because in all likelihood that is where the AIS will come from.

Why does Utah not require a sticker? Different state and a different way of funding thier program.

The bottom line......if the sticker is too much to lay out after spending $25,000 to $50,000 on your boat.....don't come to WYO to fish and maybe you shouldn't be buying a boat if that $30 is so tough to pay.

I care about the resource and don't mind paying a bit in this attempt to keep Flaming Gorge an AIS free zone. Living in Green River, I spend countless hours on this lake and my recreation is impacted greatly by what happens out there.

We as fishermen are really the ones that control what happens to our waters. We have to be responsible for our boats, make sure they are clean and that we don't transfer this potential disaster to any other waters.

Best of luck to the game and fish departments from both Utah and Wyoming in combating this potential horror.

smokin' Kokes
05-02-2010, 03:29 PM
what's a few dollars compared to a couple states loosing the best kokanee fishery in the world? most on this forum have $25,000 or more invested in fishing and spend several thousand more each year chasing fish.

we just started paying a $10 Columbia river salmon enchancement fee here, well worth the investment. we had the best spring chinook salmon return in 50+ years even with the dams still in. Wa and Ore have running programs to control invasive out of control species competing with and feeding on salmon; Caspian terns, sea lions, pike minnows.
none are cheap.

California does nothing but set on their hands and kowtow to the corporate farming/ development interests and now have NO salmon fisheries. Their criminal failures dictate salmon season to the rest of the W. coast.

every state around Wyoming already has a zebra/quagga muscle problem. Wyoming has lakes infested also, just the underfunded understaffed W. G&F have not found them yet.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/MandatoryBoatInspections.htm
the rest of the US will end up following the lead of progressive Colorado in controlling invasive species to their fisheries or loose billions in lost tourist dollars

skookum9
05-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Smokedtrout, I agree that we as fishermen must be responsible for our boats, and this is where the invasive species battle should be. Your statement about where this funding is going and why it is needed is a testimony as to what I am saying about the government charging more and doing less. Endless stickers will not stop these creepy crawlies, and neither will endless taxation. Dilligence by us fishermen is our only real hope, that and education, getting the word out. I used to want to move to Wyoming but you won't have to worry about seeing me on your waters anytime soon, and if I'm not there neither is my money. And as to the money spent on boats, you'd be a lot closer to what I spent on my boat if you were to knock two zero's off of your estimate. Believe it or not, we are not all rich. And it isn't the $30 as much as it is the principle of all this taxation and regulation into insanity.

I ask you this, what is it about a sticker that will stop these invasive's? I could wallpaper my boat to make it even more ugly and these things would still stick to it if I don't clean my equipment. Higher taxes will not encourage me to be more cooperative, no matter what the politicians think. I promise, I don't want you or anyone else bringing these things to my waters anymore than you want me bringing them to yours. I simply find this plan that has been enacted to be impotent and insulting.

smokedtrout
05-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Skookum, it seems like you are just another guy that doesn't think he ought to contribute to the program or anything towards the management of our game and fish resources. It takes money to decontaminate boats, it takes money to have staff at the ramps on the Gorge to check boats, it takes money to fund a program to educate anglers on the issues regarding AIS.

Obviously I have a significantly different perspective than you on what as a sportsman I need to help pay for. On that we will just have to disagree. As to not spending your money in Wyoming? It really will have no impact on those of us that are resident anglers. I am not a guide, nor do I sell any items or services to out of state anglers, so from my perspective it really makes no difference whether or not out of state anglers are here. In fact the fewer out of state anglers, the less crowded the Gorge is and the ramp at Buckboard. I don't mean to be offensive, but that is the perspective of this Wyoming angler. Less out of state hunters or fishermen would actually increase the quality of the experience for most of us that are residents.

Propnut69
05-02-2010, 10:51 PM
skookum9 says "Smokedtrout, I agree that we as fishermen must be responsible for our boats, and this is where the invasive species battle should be. Your statement about where this funding is going and why it is needed is a testimony as to what I am saying about the government charging more and doing less. Endless stickers will not stop these creepy crawlies, and neither will endless taxation. Dilligence by us fishermen is our only real hope, that and education, getting the word out. Great point and one way to educate sportsmen is the sticker program. With sportsman having to buy a sticker, they will at least know that there is a ais program in effect for Wyoming’s waters. I used to want to move to Wyoming but you won't have to worry about seeing me on your waters anytime soon, and if I'm not there neither is my money. That is certainly your choice to fish here or not. I do expect to see a small drop in the number of out of state people here. That will mean a small loss in tourism dollars. But what would be the cost in dollars when the gorge becomes infected, and the fishery goes to hell, and no one wants to fish it anymore? I really do think the state of Wyo, and the G&F have looked at these scenarios. Maybe as Smokedtrout said” that will make a better experience” for those of us, that will continue to fish the gorge, with less people on the water. And as to the money spent on boats, you'd be a lot closer to what I spent on my boat if you were to knock two zero's off of your estimate. Believe it or not, we are not all rich. And it isn't the $30 as much as it is the principle of all this taxation and regulation into insanity.

I ask you this, what is it about a sticker that will stop these invasive? I could wallpaper my boat to make it even uglier and these things would still stick to it if I don't clean my equipment. Higher taxes will not encourage me to be more cooperative, no matter what the politicians think. I promise. I have to totally disagree here, when you keep getting fined, for not cooperating with the Wyoming Ais sticker program, you will either change your ways, or spend a lot of money. I’m sure the state of Wyoming would be happy to take it also. I don't want you or anyone else bringing these things to my waters anymore than you want me bringing them to yours. I simply find this plan that has been enacted to be impotent and insulting.[B] Ok I have to ask, what are your ideas for keeping the gorge free from AIS, since you find this program impotent and insulting? It has to start somewhere don't it? I think this program is as good as any right now.
[/B

The bottom line is that as sportsmen we have to do what ever we can ,to stop Wyoming's water,and the gorge from becoming infected. All the education in the world wont help,if none of it is applied

skookum9
05-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Smokedtrout, I don't find your take on out-of-stater's one bit offensive, I feel the exact same way about my Oregon waters. Unfortunately, more and more of the rude ones still come every year. I do disagree about the tax burden that should be shoved down the sportsmans throat, but not the responsibility. I don't know if you can understand my perspective or not but it is not that of a cheat or a freeloader. My forefather's dumped a load of tea in Boston Bay because of a 3% tax that primarily only applied to tea. It was not the cost that set them off, it was much larger than that and it may or may not be beyond your comprehension, and this is as it is for me. I have a good friend who works for the state who shares a similar opinion to your own and we too just have to agree to disagree. As to my contribution to the sport, I give way more than I should. I'm just too much of a redneck to accept all these new laws and taxes and regulations all at once. I would love to make an extended trip to Wyoming some day but I will likely steer clear of the gorge and stick to more of my style of lake, primarily ones that aren't overcrowded. And even though I do not guide and I do not sell tackle or anything else related to it, I still know and recognize the boost to the local economy because of people who travel to a body of water to fish it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if enough people quit contributing to the economy, the economy will crash. I do hope that they will someday come up with a better plan for this invasive stuff. It will either be dealt with effectively or else it will effectively destroy our fishing.

Kokaholic
05-02-2010, 11:15 PM
I just did my on line AIS stuff and spent my 30 bucks. No problems here. Im more than happy to do my part to keep the gorge free from this nasty stuff.

Skookum, Doesnt bother me at all if you dont want to come down and fish the gorge and spend thirty bucks. in fact I feel that If folks dont care enough about such a great Fishery like the gorge to pay thirty lousy bucks to help the Wyoming game and fish work towards keeping the great state of Wyoming free of these damn muscles in their waters,Then just stay home.

skookum9
05-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Just a few things I'd like to add to this because of the recent comments. First, just because I don't agree with a law doesn't mean I don't obey it. I'm already having to comply with Oregon's edition of this sticker, but it doesn't mean I'm happy about it. And just because I'm not fishing Wyoming waters doesn't mean I'm staying home. I'm really not sure how any of you can possibly come to the conclusion that just because I don't like this tax and spend rule that I somehow don't care about the fishery. I must not be doing a very good job of explaining my opinion or something. I'm not opposed to stopping these invasive species, but I am opposed to socialism and its vile ways and this is how I see all these different stickers that all the states seem to be shoving down our throats. I am sorry if my comments have suggested to you in any way that I don't care about the fisheries or their future. I am sorry for not having done a better job of detailing my objection to these new rules. If this post doesn't help to make my stand a little more clear to you then I must give up trying to explain myself. I wish you all well and many happy fishing trips.

smokin' Kokes
05-03-2010, 07:18 AM
how else can these programs be paid for? general fund? the non fishing non water sports public would drain all our lakes or close them to public access.

include the invasive permit fee in the general fishing license? not everyone has a boat, bank fishermen and guys that go with guides.

depend on a boat launch drop box for funding with no receipt or sticker? 101idea101

i gladly paid over $150 for Oregon's out of state fishing license, steelhead/salmon card and invasives permit $22 this year. Oregon has the best steelhead fishing in their coastal streams of the whole west coast. paid for by fisherman. best lake fishing, paid for by fishermen. best invasive trash fish control programs, paid for by fishermen. well managed and funded kokanee program, paid for by fishermen

may be a socialist state but i enjoy fishing the best managed fishing waters in the western US, Oregon, and have no complaints paying for it. when i leave Washington on a fishing trip to Oregon, I have a big grin on my face in anticipation of world class fishing experience. Lake Wallowa and the Wilson River are prime examples. a day drifting the Wilson for winter steelhead is a day in Heaven.

when I go offshore salmon fishing, it's Washington or on north, Cali and Oregon can't compare due to poorly managed and under financed salmon programs.

I dumped $150 into Colorado non resident online for a 2 weeker there this year. They have the best invasive species control program in the western US. I'll be helping pay for it.

fishing licenses are the best entertainment enjoyment value in the whole sporting vacation industry. $500 bucks won't get you a fun night in Vegas, the only thing that stays there is a person's hard earned dollars and nothing to show for it.

when I choose a restaurant for a fine meal, I expect good service and pay a 20% gratuity for it in appreciation. if I want no service and a slop joint attitude, I go fast food MacGutBomb slathered in a spit goober by the $8 hr doper cook.

smokedtrout
05-03-2010, 09:07 AM
The teabagger politics ought to be left off the board and we ought to be discussing fishing.

skookum9
05-03-2010, 09:15 AM
I wasn't going to add anything but this last post by Smokin' Kokes promted me. I wouldn't know how to have fun in Vegas for any amount of money, not my idea of a good time, but I do know how to have fun fishing. While I can appreciate everyones view on fishing, even when it disagree's with my own, your outlook is scary to me. This is the same acceptance view that the english lords had when the deer became "the kings deer" and only the wealthy were allowed to hunt. Not exactly the America I was born and raised in.

I am glad that you enjoy fishing in Oregon, so do I, but the fish are no better than what I have caught in Washington. But this "great" fishing that you enjoy was not sponsored by this brand new invasive species sticker that we have. This sticker is brand new here and yet the fishing is okay anyway. The most numerous fish we have are those not managed by our fish and wildlife so under that thought it's hard to argue for more management. You mention the cost of an out of state license here. In 2009 it was $64 and in 2010 it is $106 and yet there is no more service and no increase in quality of our fishing from last year. Our government says that there is no increase in cost of living and yet they keep hiking up our taxes and fees on a population that unemployment is soaring in. Not one time have I hit the water under this new reg of stickers for invasive's that I have had an inspection on my boat. I have been stopped to make sure that I had bought my sticker but that is all. I am not really disappointed by this, it is exactly what I expected. That stupid sticker will not do a thing to protect my waters if the boat isn't clean and yet the only thing that gets checked is the "revenue collector" stamp of approval.

Sorry that you don't like Mc D's, neither do I but I feel no need to insult their employees for it. I'm glad that you can afford to go out for a nice meal but I'm not sure how fancy you go if you expect the cook to make bank on your meal. I prefer to eat at home so I can afford to put my paycheck into my fuel tank so I can still get to work. No matter the restaurant, if they were to double their price and provide no more service and no better quality or quantity of their food, I will choose a different restaurant. Fortunately, with private enterprise, we have that option. When the socialist state takes over, it's time to bend over the barrel and take it whether you like it or not.

Smokedtrout, that was a very rude and uncalled for comment about the tea partiers. I've recently learned what that term means and it is not a nice thing to say about anyone. I'm sorry that you felt the need to insult.

Sorry for the rant but I love my country and it's killing me inside to watch her destroyed by the actions and decisions that are being made against her. Best wishes for more fishes to all of you.

smokedtrout
05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Like I said before.....let's discuss fishing. The teabagger stuff is not at all appropriate on a board such as this nor appreciated. Neither would be a discussion of the pros and cons of a single payer health care system. Fishing....folks......fishing (if this weather ever gets decent).

BROWNBAGGER
05-03-2010, 11:26 AM
smoked trout you need to open your mind. Out of state dollars make a huge difference to you personally. Where you eat, the place you buy your tackle, the gas station you pick up your petro. I think you should not buy a dam thing at buckboard ever again, cause it would not exists with out the other sportsman in this area. holy crap. I don't know who pissed in your cheerio's this morning, but you need a economics' class. I grew up in star valley, and in the 80's and earlier before the internet. I would have to mail order my tackle through snail mail and it would take weeks to come in. Then craig down the street opened up lone pine sports. now I was able to buy my tackle in 10 minutes. I'll tell you it isn't the local's that have kept his doors open. tourism is a billion dollar business. I agree the sticker is not going to do nothing but pay wages to the dwr (first). you have to pay for the program first before you attack the problem. I would rather see 2 or more heated high pressure wash stations set up around the lake and before you launch, you must use them. solve the dam problem, it's not any harder than that.

smokedtrout
05-03-2010, 11:39 AM
smoked trout you need to open your mind. Out of state dollars make a huge difference to you personally. Where you eat, the place you buy your tackle, the gas station you pick up your petro. I think you should not buy a dam thing at buckboard ever again, cause it would not exists with out the other sportsman in this area. holy crap. I don't know who pissed in your cheerio's this morning, but you need a economics' class. I agree the sticker is going to do nothing but pay wages to the dwr (first). you have to pay for the program first before you attack the problem. I would rather see 2 or more heated high pressure wash stations set up around the lake and before you launch, you must use them. solve the dam problem, is it any harder than that.

FYI, I have a graduate degree in business. And honestly, while the out of state fishermen put a few dollars in the economy of Green River, the vast majority of the economy in this county is driven by trona mining, coal mining and oil and gas. I have actually had quite a few economic classes and the reality of the economy here is that the dollars of out of state sportsmen have an impact so small in our local economy that it is virtually invisible.

As for Buckboard......usually I never stop at the store. I have everything I need when I head out there. Yes it is convenient to have the store out there, but it really would not have a lot of impact on me as an angler if it wasn't there. Then it would be just like putting in at Squaw Hollow or Anvil.

I am not trying to be rude, but just pointing out the reality of the economy of Green River and Sweetwater County.

BROWNBAGGER
05-03-2010, 12:00 PM
America's nearly 40 million anglers spend over $45 billion per year on fishing equipment, transportation, lodging and other expenses associated with their sport. With a total annual economic impact of $125 billion, fishing supports over one million jobs and generates $34 billion in wages and $16 billion in tax revenues each year. The average amount anglers spend yearly on hooks, rods, lures and other fishing tackle increased 16 percent from 2001 to 2006.

I don't know where you went to school????

Additional economic facts about sportfishing:
• The nearly one million jobs supported by anglers are almost three times the number of people who work for United Parcel Service in the U.S.

• The amount of federal tax revenues generated by angler spending in 2006 — $8.9 billion — is roughly equal to the entire 2006 budget for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

• In 2006, the top 10 states with residents who fished, based on the percentage of population, are: Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Minnesota, Maine, Wisconsin, Idaho, Arkansas, West Virginia and Mississippi.

• In 2006, the top 10 states that attract the highest number of non-resident anglers are: Florida, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, South Carolina, Maryland, Arkansas, New York and Texas.

• In 2006, the total days of fishing in the U.S. equaled 1,289,300 years of fishing.

• The not-so-lowly catfish is pursued by nearly seven million anglers, more than the population of Arizona, Massachusetts or Washington.

• All the dollars spent by anglers, attached end to end, would reach to the moon and back — nine times!

wouldn't wyoming love to be in the 4th catagory, with that kind of money floating around.

here's more

Flaming Gorge NRA (National Recreation Area) is important to the overall economy of Daggett County, Utah and Sweetwater County, Wyoming. NRA management and programs affect both counties. Daggett County lacks an industrial base and is dependent on agriculture and the recreation and tourism industries, all of which are emphases of Flaming Gorge NRA.

The County’s economy is based primarily on:

Recreation
Agriculture
Government Work
Other than agriculture and some county and state government jobs, virtually all of Daggett County’s employment is dependent on Flaming Gorge NRA.

Payrolls from approximately 39 permanent and 30 seasonal Forest Service personnel, over 70 concessionaire employees, and an estimated 80 seasonal and non-seasonal outfitter-guide positions provide critical cash flow for the community. Daggett County tourism employment accounts for 47% of all jobs in the county, the second highest rate in Utah.

In addition to the cash flow from wages, travelers to Daggett County spent $11.7 million on recreation services in 2000. This represents a 6.4% increase from the previous year, in contrast to a decline in tourism spending in many Utah counties.

smokedtrout
05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Your figures talk about the national impact of all anglers......resident and non-resident. I was discussing the impact of non-resident anglers to the economy of Sweetwater County. Your statement, and I quote,"Out of state dollars make a huge difference to you personally." Is very wrong.

That is why I discussed the economy of Sweetwater County, as this is where I live. Your figures are not really relevant to that particular statement. And, while I don't have the numbers in front of me, I am quite sure the impact of local anglers is much, much greater on our local economy than that of folks like you that pull through and buy a couple tanks of gas, a couple meals and a couple drinks at the honky tonk.

So, those are the realities of the economic impact of non-res fisherman in Sweetwater County. If you don't like that....fine, it makes no difference to me nor does it change the realities of our economy in Green River. Now, shouldn't we really get back to fishing.

BROWNBAGGER
05-03-2010, 12:32 PM
you didn't read the statment on the gorge it self...did ya.

moving on.......gone fishing

smokedtrout
05-03-2010, 12:42 PM
you didn't read the statment on the gorge it self...did ya.

moving on.......gone fishing

Well, actually I did. I don't live in Dagget County or in Utah.

BROWNBAGGER
05-03-2010, 01:01 PM
oh crap, can't believe I'm replying. it also includes sweetwater. I'm understanding you only read what you want to hear and believe what your closed mind wants to believe. I'm not getting it. 11.7 million was spent in the gorge area just in the year 2000, ten years ago!

Petty4life
05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
things have gone south on this thread lets let it die101yawn101cactus101101chillpill101

Bottombouncer
05-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks, it was about time, have a great day and let's all enjoy our upcomming summer and thank a veteran for allowing us to enjoy our beautifull country and the freedoms we enjoy such as fishing.

Propnut69
05-05-2010, 03:19 PM
oh crap, can't believe I'm replying. it also includes sweetwater. I'm understanding you only read what you want to hear and believe what your closed mind wants to believe. I'm not getting it. 11.7 million was spent in the gorge area just in the year 2000, ten years ago!

After reading that ,I had to ask myself just what % of those tourism dollars were spent right here in Sweetwater County? Definitely not enough to influence the people of SW county very much.

"Out of state dollars make a huge difference to you personally."
That statement would apply more to the people of Daggett County ,then the local people here. While tourism is a part of the Sweetwater County economy,its not dependent wholly on out of state dollars to make it work. Oil and Gas,Trona mining, the railroad, and it's people are what makes Sweetwater County thrive.

I know the mods wanted this thread to die,but as a local fisherman, and a resident of Sweetwater County i felt I had to respond .