PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Koke Jigs

SilverBullets
04-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Kokanee jigs can sometimes be tackle you allready own. Lures such as kastmasters, krocodiles, and humdingers can be used just to name a few. Sometimes jigs can be made out of weights just laying around in the bottom of the tackle box.
Here's a few useing crescent weights, bullet weights, and barrel weights. Some of the crescent weights were re-formed useing a hammer and dremel. All were either hand painted or powder coated. The tasmanian devils have barrel weights incorporated and bullet weights were used under the hoochies.

MMDON
04-25-2010, 08:28 AM
I really like the powder coated banana trolling weight idea!

I'm going to give that a try!

Thanks,

Don

KOK head
06-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Cool thanks !

Kokonuts
06-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Silver Bullets,
I made up some of the jigs using lead weights just as you have. While playing with them I put one in my large bench vise and gave it a little pressure to flaten the sides. The Jaws of the vise gives it a diamond pattern that looks really cool. It gives it a place to paint another color to contrast with the body color!

Try it , you'll like it! Kokonuts worthy12

Torres
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Kokanee jigs can sometimes be tackle you allready own.

These are excellent ideas you have here.

Being a newbie here, which ones have been successfull for you?

I know that pink has always worked for me for the salmonoids.

Richard

SilverBullets
07-05-2010, 11:35 PM
These are excellent ideas you have here.

Being a newbie here, which ones have been successfull for you?

I know that pink has always worked for me for the salmonoids.

Richard

I made alot of jigs this past winter and still need to test these. I've read reports of success with one's like them.
Right now I'm consentrating on testing some homemade flutter jigs. So far they've been very effective...

Full_Monte
07-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Do you do your own powder-coating? If so, do you buy some kind of a kit to do it? Thanks!

SilverBullets
07-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Do you do your own powder-coating? If so, do you buy some kind of a kit to do it? Thanks!

I tried the powder coating for the first time last year. My operation is a bit redneck...I use an old toaster oven to heat up the lead. In my limited experiance I like the outcome of hand painting better...I like the detail I can achieve, especially when useing multiple colors on the same lure. Also, the flutter jigs I work on have sharp edges (makes the jig flutter when it drops) and my redneck method of powdercoating adds too much paint to where the edges are more rounded which takes away from the action of the lure in my opinion. I'm sure spraying the powder on would work out alot better than the dipping method I've been doing.

redmanjr1
07-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Very nice lures and originality is top shelf! Anxious to hear how they do.

Bob