PDA

View Full Version : Apex Lures

SilverBullets
04-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Thought I'd share a few pictures of some Apex lures I modified. Most of them are the 1.5 size (which measure 2") with hardware consisting of double Gamies, 8lb Maxima, and a few size 4 glow beads. Some have bobber stops incorporated to adjust the hook set back...

Edit: This link explains a little more about these lures...
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showpost.php?p=1942&postcount=1

oldguysrule
04-08-2010, 07:30 AM
They look awesome !!!!! I will try the skirted ones when I make my new ones. Great Idea. Thanks for the insite into the world of the apex.101goodpost101

Kokonuts
04-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Bullets .....Now youve really done it! When did you start painting lures? How do you do them ? Are you going into the Apex Custom Business? I gotta have some for Lake Merwin, I'll be your "Offical Tester" and Apex Reporter!!
Please, Pretty Please!!!

tooexcited.......Kokonuts.......worthy12...

twisted lines
04-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Thats a good start on what I have been waiting for, worthy12 I am looking forward too seeing the other 100 or so. And I know from touching one they are truly amazing, let the class begin........... TL

SuperD
04-08-2010, 10:26 AM
The stock reflective tape on mine seem to come off. I don't know if it is because the decals are poor or from putting scent on the lure. Are replacement decals available? I flunked cutting out shapes in kindergarten.

Full_Monte
04-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Yep...I think we've found the Apex guru on KFF. At $4-$5 each, I think Bullets has a king's ransom in lures. Bullets...are you making any from scratch, or are you buying them retail?

Bduck
04-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Nicely done SB. The ones with the skirts look like a cross between a squid & Apex. What do you call them a Squapex? or Sqidpex? thumbsup The color schemes on the others should really work well. I'd be willing to try some at the Gorge this summer.

SilverBullets
04-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Thats a good start on what I have been waiting for, worthy12 I am looking forward too seeing the other 100 or so. And I know from touching one they are truly amazing, let the class begin........... TL

There's a few locked in the vault still. Most of the other's are either copies of the one's pictured, ones that are changed just a little, or ones in that are in their original condition.

The stock reflective tape on mine seem to come off. I don't know if it is because the decals are poor or from putting scent on the lure. Are replacement decals available? I flunked cutting out shapes in kindergarten.

I've had the same problem...Try spraying a coat of acrylic gloss over the tape to get it better protected. As far as I know there aren't replacement decals available like the stock ones. Get some tape and cut it into the general shape making sure it's long enough to cover the first 2 holes on the Apex. Get a needle and poke through those holes. Running the line through the holes will help keep the tape in place. Also, try to get in the habit of applying the scent to the bottom side of the lure.

SilverBullets
04-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Yep...I think we've found the Apex guru on KFF. At $4-$5 each, I think Bullets has a king's ransom in lures. Bullets...are you making any from scratch, or are you buying them retail?

Mine are bought retail, but I do have some custom made one's made from the same material that detures are made of.

Bduck...I added a link to the original post that explains everthing a bit more...

SuperD
04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I bet these would work on an Apex!

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/willowleaf-diecuts/309040.aspx

SuperD
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Hootchie skirts are big here in Ca from stick baits in the delta for stripers to the large Apex in the ocean for salmon.

Bduck
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Thought I'd share a few pictures of some Apex lures I modified. Most of them are the 1.5 size (which measure 2") with hardware consisting of double Gamies, 8lb Maxima, and a few size 4 glow beads. Some have bobber stops incorporated to adjust the hook set back...

Edit: This link explains a little more about these lures...
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showpost.php?p=1942&postcount=1

Thanks for sharing. I like your operation. The success you have had appears to have payed off very well. worthy12

SilverBullets
04-08-2010, 01:28 PM
I bet these would work on an Apex!

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/willowleaf-diecuts/309040.aspx

Dave, I buy the same tape in sheets...Barlow's has a great color selection. Maybe the size 3 1/2 would work in the pre-cut. I've used size 5 and had to trim to fit.

eenakoK
04-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Very nice!!! worthy12

Petty4life
04-08-2010, 04:07 PM
WOW That stuff looks great, glad you learned how to post pic's so you can share your stuff with all of us.101goodpost101worthy12

onlychild
04-08-2010, 04:18 PM
very nice work the one with the tail is kind of like the hoochie thing they look awsome.

eenakoK
04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
WOW That stuff looks great, glad you learned how to post pic's so you can share your stuff with all of us.101goodpost101worthy12

Yes, we have created a monster! thumbsup

HiTechKoke
04-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey SB - Great collection. Do you prefer the 1.5. or 1.0 size models?

Also what is your preferred line brand and pound test?

Kevin

SilverBullets
04-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey SB - Great collection. Do you prefer the 1.5. or 1.0 size models?

Also what is your preferred line brand and pound test?

Kevin

I mainly use the 1.5 size (2" length.) The majority are made from the trout Apex's with the larger hooks and red flipper's. I re-rig and use 8lb Maxima. When I say Apex's that's kind of a general term...probably half of them are Hot Spot and the other half are Pro Troll. I've had good success with both brands and don't care which one is on my line...they both work.

MMDON
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Great work SB! I really like the Hoochie Mama's, (Apex with squid skirts).

MM/Don

SuperD
04-11-2010, 02:51 PM
What's your favorite leader length for Apexs (generic term) LOL

SilverBullets
04-11-2010, 07:48 PM
What's your favorite leader length for Apexs (generic term) LOL

The kokes where I fish prefer a longer leader than most lakes. A 5-6 foot leader is recommended when useing Apex's because of the crystal clear water. Since the lure has alot of action of it's own, the dodger with that leader length is mainly for attraction.

froggie
04-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Silver Bullets,
Thanks for posting the pics. We were at Bass Pro Shop TODAY and Tortuga pointed out their 'lure paint'. We will probably have to try out some of our own 'custom' lures. Bet I can paint an Apex with similar colors of my favorite kokanee lure. Never thought my artistic endeavors would transfer to lure building too.
Froggiethumbsup

Bduck
04-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Silver Bullets,
Thanks for posting the pics. We were at Bass Pro Shop TODAY and Tortuga pointed out their 'lure paint'. We will probably have to try out some of our own 'custom' lures. Bet I can paint an Apex with similar colors of my favorite kokanee lure. Never thought my artistic endeavors would transfer to lure building too.
Froggiethumbsup

awesomereport This is really getting good. Looking fwd to your pics of lure building Froggie.

SilverBullets
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your creations too Froggie! I still find it hard to believe your even thinking about putting something other than the FMLB on your line...Welcome to the dark side!!thumbsup

Fallriverguy
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Truly fantastic stuff Gary. But, how are you ever going to give all those lures water time when running only one rod?

SuperD
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Anybody got a lure that is any harder to store than an Apex? Their shape and long leaders is ome of the reasons I don't use them more frequently.

Kokonuts
04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Anybody got a lure that is any harder to store than an Apex? Their shape and long leaders is ome of the reasons I don't use them more frequently.

I use the foam pipe insulation by cutting a slot for the line about 1/4" deep all the way around with a razor knife, space them out about 11/2" . Put the hooks into the foam & wrap! Works well in the bucket that I made up for all types of lures!

Kokonuts

SuperD
04-12-2010, 10:51 PM
I use the foam pipe insulation by cutting a slot for the line about 1/4" deep all the way around with a razor knife, space them out about 11/2" . Put the hooks into the foam & wrap! Works well in the bucket that I made up for all types of lures!

Kokonuts

In that regard, I just put this together this weekend.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6137/apex.jpg

SilverBullets
04-13-2010, 12:30 AM
That looks great Dave, do you tie a swivel on the end of the leader and secure it to the foam with something?

SuperD
04-13-2010, 09:26 AM
That looks great Dave, do you tie a swivel on the end of the leader and secure it to the foam with something?

That sounds like a good solution for the slit in the foam method. I just steal some stick pins out of my wife's sewing kit and tie my loop like I'd normally use to my dodger.

GVF
04-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Nice paint work sb

I also like the pool noodle for my lures but I found if I left it round my spin bugs would follow the curve and stay that way so I did a little modification so it will sit on a counter and hold the lures flat.I slit the noodle all the way around to hold the leader in place(no pin to drop in the boat Dave)

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh306/gvfphoto/IM000189.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh306/gvfphoto/IM000190.jpg

Now when I set it down it dosent roll over. I do like the holder

ctkid
07-26-2011, 06:52 AM
where do you find the little hook flippers??