PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have 3 rigs......

Kokanee Kid
04-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Ok, lets say your heading out koke fishing, and you can only bring 3 attractors, 3 lures, and 3 scents. What would they be?

As for myself:

4/0 seps doggers nickle w/reflective tape and hammered 50/50, and a sidekick 50/50.

For lures 2 wedding rings, red and pink with hammerd nickle and hammered brass blades.As for the wedding band, silver and one red. For the 3rd lure a 50/50 dicknite spoon.

And scents, dna kokanee gel is all I need. But for giggles kokanee special too.

What would you bring if ya only got 3 of each?

skookum9
04-06-2010, 03:08 AM
1/4 oz pink and white Gibbs, 1/2 oz pink and white Gibbs, and 2 1/2" orange Buzz Bomb. laugh hyst laugh hyst laugh hyst

While mostly kidding, you would have to let me bring more than just three "lures" before you'd see me bring anything for trolling. Trolling is only my backup plan if for some flukish reason jigging isn't doing the trick. I do like to carry a can of WD 40 just in case my human scent is putting them off that day but other than that, you can keep all the scents for yourself.

SuperD
04-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Attractors:
RMT dodgers in pink, orange & hyperplaid

Lures:
Pink UV Apex
Pink & Chartruese Glo Spinner
Purple UV Spinner

Scents:
Garlic
Anise/Shrimp Special
Vanila

Kokonuts
04-06-2010, 04:41 PM
1/4 oz pink and white Gibbs, 1/2 oz pink and white Gibbs, and 2 1/2" orange Buzz Bomb. laugh hyst laugh hyst laugh hyst

While mostly kidding, you would have to let me bring more than just three "lures" before you'd see me bring anything for trolling. Trolling is only my backup plan if for some flukish reason jigging isn't doing the trick. I do like to carry a can of WD 40 just in case my human scent is putting them off that day but other than that, you can keep all the scents for yourself.

Sooo, Do you "JIG" at Merwin ? I fish there a lot but never got around to the Jigs!
Also I've heard people talk about WD40 but hav't used it !

101goodpost101.......Kokonuts

SuperD
04-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Also I've heard people talk about WD40 but hav't used it !
Most people that talk about it, talk about it under their breathe because it is illegal in most places if not all.

onlychild
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Doggers- RMT-Pink -purple/pink combo-hyper-plad

Lures -pink Dickkight
pink/chartreuse glow spinner
orange/pink glow spinner
small pink/glo hoochie
Im sorry guys I cant stop at 3 thats why my tackel box weighs 50 lb.

skookum9
04-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I have yet to fish Merwin but you can believe for certain that when I get there I will be using my jigs. Until I prove that I can't catch those fish on a jig, I will still believe that is the best way. I've never seen trolling work as effectively as jigging once you find a concentration of fish. And jigging is a heck of a lot more fun. We'll have to wait and see what the kokes in Merwin and Yale have for a response to my opinion.

I've never heard of WD-40 being illegal anywhere but that doesn't mean it isn't. It isn't illegal here in Oregon, or at least there is no listing of it in the regulations. Not sure why it would be considered illegal anyway isnce the main ingredient is fish oil. It is just used as a cover scent and not as an attractor. I've spoken with a local out here that uses a garlic scent for the very same reason. His thought was, and I agree, it doesn't so much matter to the fish which scent you're using, but it sure is nice to be able to eat a sandwich without getting a snoot full of anise or shrimp oil or some other nasty that you get on your hands.

If you actually know of some place that WD is illegal, (other than in California where everything is illegal except what should be), I would love to hear about it. I do not want to break any laws out there. And I don't talk under my breath about anything like that. If I am ignorant of something, I give my apologies, but I am not a sneak or a cheat. I have been accused behind my back of cheating because of my success. It really ticked me off because the person who was accusing me was a state employee, in uniform, and they never said anything to me personally. They went around telling the other fishermen at the lake that I was chuming with corn, on a fly only lake. I guess they wanted to make enemies for me.

SuperD
04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
The regulations here in California for WD-40 fall under the "no petroleum based products". If Oregon happens to allow it, no personal accusation ws meant by my comment.

skookum9
04-07-2010, 02:14 AM
While WD does contain some petroleum distillates, supposedly, the primary ingredient is fish oil. I only learned that about the fish oil foundation from one of Paul Harvey's stories before he died. To the best of my knowledge, WD-40 is not a petroleum based product. So, even with that rule, WD should be excused. I have only really used it in salmon fishing in the mouth of the Columbia, and have not personally witnessed any noticeable difference that it made. But I do know a number of people who swear by it. And I figure that when it comes to salmon fishing, I need all the help I can get. If you somehow find out that it is petroleum based, please let me know. And by the way, I did try to see if it will burn and no, it doesn't like to burn at all, just smoke away. I would consider that to be good evidence that it is not petroleum based.

Smalma
04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
From the side of my can of WD-40 -

Danger
Extremely Flammable, (propane) keep spray from: hear, sparks, open flame ...

Harmful of fatal if swallowed
Contains: petroleum distillates, if swallowed do not induce vomitting, call physician immediately...

Back to Kokanee Kid's question -
With 3 tackle boxes of various attractors and lures and at least a 1/2 dozen different scents it would be tough to limit myself to a set of 3 kokanee set ups but my list would be -

Attractors - 4/0 silver with prism tape dodger, 4/0 half and half and for a change of pace a sling blade with pink "herring bone".

Lures -UV pink hoochie, small pink spin-glo with mylar wings, and orange apex

Scents - Lunker lotion kokanee, DNA and squid oil.

Tight lines
Curt

skookum9
04-10-2010, 03:47 AM
Because of the discussion of petrolium base or not, I decided to look up the MSDS for WD-40. Yes, it does contain petrolium based oil, <25% of its content is this. No, it does not seem to contain propane, not sure where you got that info because propane is not listed on any of the cans I own or could find. The spray cans are of course flamable as is any aerosol spray. I sprayed some on a piece of paper and tried to get it to burn in my hot wood stove but it just wouldn't ignite but the MSDS does say that it has a severe fire hazard rating. I suspect this is because it is typically sold in an aerosol can and this is clearly the initial point made in the data sheet but is not so clear in further reading. It does, however, contain two different hydrocarbons so it would make sense that it is flammable. It also states in the MSDS that it does not contain chemicals regulated under California Prop 65, (California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act).

From what I read, I did not see anything that listed it as something that cannot or should not be used for fishing. And, I definitely think that if you are just applying this to your hands before handling your tackle/lure/bait that there shouldn't be anything wrong or illegal about it. With that said, if there does develop some law prohibiting it in the future, it will not affect my fishing because it is not something that I normally use anyway except when I'm trolling for coho. And I won't miss it if I have to stop using it, I was just pointing out that I don't use attractor scents but am not above using a masking scent. Since I keep a can on board for lube use anyway, it just seems like an easy fix. Just posting this so that some of this missinformation can be better cleared up.

SilverBullets
04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
scents...garlic, kokanee special, vanilla extract, pautzke's nectar
lures...apex's, jigs, spinners (colors depend on the day)
attractors...uv sling blade, seps watermelon, vance's cannon ball troll

As far as WD40...Did you ever wonder why the guys on those bass fishing shows turn their back to the camera sometimes? laugh hyst

skookum9
04-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Never actually watched a bass fishing show. I hate bass and all they have done to my trout fishing. Okay, maybe hate is too strong of a word. I don't have much appreciation for the fish. They look ugly, they don't taste very good, and because they thrive in some of the nastiest waters in the world they are almost impossible to kill off. Now if they started up a koke fishing show I'd be all in for it. Of course, I'd watch if it were salmon, trout or steelhead too. I'd still rather be catching fish than watching them caught on t.v. though.