PDA

View Full Version : Read This Now! Pay Or Get Fined?

kokaine
04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/AISPressRelease.pdf

This applies to FG. If the link doesn't open, go to Wyoming Game and Fish main page and look for their mussle initiative.

skookum9
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for posting this. They have done the same thing here in Oregon. Unfortunately, they are doing a lousy job of getting the word out around here. I'm all for keeping these invasives out of our waters but our state government should show significantly more responsibility in making these new regs publicly known. I sure wish that a certificate on a boat was transferrable from state to state. It would make a lot of sense to make it so an invasive license, once purchased, was good for every state, no matter where purchased. And I don't know what Oregon is doing for out of state license fees but the idea of charging more for that is ridiculous to me. From your post, it sounds like Wyoming isn't doing any better of a job with this new regulation than Oregon is. Like I said, thanks for posting this, now I'll know to look into this license no matter what state I fish so I don't get a citation for being ignorant of it.

Bduck
04-03-2010, 06:08 AM
Utah and Wyoming share the same waters in Flaming Gorge. Both states allow to fish in each other territories with appropriate licences & recipritory stamps. Now there's going to be a separate fee coming to register our boats in other states but not without an inspection to certify the boat first. There is also talk that our future water bills for our homes will carry a fee for the invasive creatures. States are not done with adding fees such as towing across borders. Lets dig deep, its far from being over. The more they can get from us, the more fraud, waste, & abuse of funding will take shape. Additional funding always shows up in other non-related programs that has never required much to operate with. 101idea101 Now the question is, how long does it take before someone throws in the towel and starts giving up their passion do to high cost of fees just to go fishing? When that starts happening, these agencies that receive the funding will feel the crunch and will make up for their loss by imposing higher fees in an area they know they can make it up with. So who's losing out? :mad: I for getting rid of invasive mussells and education has always been a good source but on how the states teach it remains to be seen.

agitator
04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Thank you so much for posting this up. We were right in the middle of trying to figure out how many $$$$$$ our first trip to FG would be . tooexcited

SuperD
04-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Most California lakes with inspection charge everytime you come through the gate. From that standpoint, the fees meantioned by the WG&F seem very reasonable. Particularly if that decal is good at all lakes in the state.

kokaine
04-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Hmmmm Bduck is right. I work in state government and the agency I work for began charging our 'clients' and extra $30 for their 'needs.' (just leave it at that). Once the state legislature found out the revenue source, they deducted the amount from our operating expense budget. I'm more worried about the true INVASIVE SPECIES; politicians and their taxes.

Kokaholic
04-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Nobody likes having to dig a little deeper into their pockets for this or that. I, for one feels that this is something that will just make life a living hell for all of us fisherman and fisherwomen if these nasty things get into our waters.

I have to agree with you all, lets dig in and be responsible and do what we need to do to keep this fantastic fishery, along with others Quagga muscle free!

justfish
04-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I have to agree with mark on this one ; if I could of paid $100. to keep lingcod out of the gorge i would of. if we can keep these out of our waters we will all be alot happier I don't like to shell out money any more than the rest of you but I'm all for kepping than outworthy12

kokaine
04-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I just appreciate so much Utah's approach to this problem. Utah sent out a survey to all Utah fishermen seeking input on what we truely thought would be the best way to approach this problem. We decided education was the best way. We opted out on throwing money at it. At our ramps is a self certification we fill out that says basically we understand the problem and our boat is mussel free. It must be displayed on the dash of your vehicle. In Utah there are a bzillions of remote ramps that simply cannot be manned. For me, manning only the main ramps is like putting a bandaid on a leaking dam.

You could never have paid enough to keep ling out of the gorge, anymore than you can PAY to keep the mussel out of there. Money wise. The ling were illegally introduced right? I believe through some drainage north of the dam. You can't pay enough money in hopes of insulating ourselves from someone elses 'criminal' stupidity.

My point is this. I will have Wyoming send me the sticker, probably via the internet, for $30 no matter what. Or heck, I'll purchase it in Manila along with the reciprocal stamp. WITH NO FG INSPECTION. But with that being said, your still just paying for the 'honor system.' More money is not the way. Throwing money at it may make you feel good and responsible like your doing your part, but that's it. Money is not the answer.

I say this with all respect to my fellow fishermen.

skookum9
04-04-2010, 02:38 AM
Kokaine, you are so right! Throwing money at this doesn't fix anything. And Bduck is right about people growing completely frustrated at all these crazy new rules and fees and such. I think there will be some people who will give up their sport when this all becomes too much of a hassle but my fear is that instead of giving up the sport, more people will become poachers. When it is easier for people to sneak around the rules than it is for them to abide by them, we will see this happen. I don't want to see this happen, and I do want to make sure that we don't suffer the wrath of these invasives that we are worried about. But I do think we are seeing government greed and control run amok here. I hope they figure out a better way, and do so without adding more fees and more hoops to jump through. For now, I'm just going to sit back and watch how the job is handled and do my best to meet or exceed all the rules and regulations each state I fish in is imposing.

kokaine
04-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Amen skookum, on a side note though, I read in another forum where someone brought up birds. Of course there can be no control over it, but what about migratory birds. I wonder even if it's possible for a bird to transport the mussel. Man oh man, can you foresee duck hunters getting fee'd to help control the mussel because the ducks transport them. Hey here's an idea. Let's put in several hot duck washes in their migratory paths. Just some humor.

I'm amazed Utah hasn't followed suit and charged a fee. God bless us. We tax booze, cigarettes, and now tanning salons like their gold mines.

agitator
04-04-2010, 08:52 AM
My biggest concern and alot of other boaters is how and what do we do to disinfect are boats . I have ask the Utah State Rangers many times about this issue, they say to use HOT HOT water and power washer so do we all go buy a $ 10,000 power washer NOT!!!!!!!! lets all as a group share some ideas on how to disinfect are boats . This may sound funny but take as you may . When ever I go from one lake to another I wash my boat with Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and disinfectant . This might work and it might not but it shure makes your boat look good .

Bduck
04-04-2010, 09:00 AM
We all have money to take care of lifes little pleasures. They know it and they want to keep tapping out our bank accounts. Money is always their fix like a drug addict. Publications are put out annually about fee increases for fishing/hunting and regulation changes. Within these pubs, there is never any mention of what our fees have done for the ecosystem or environment. Sure you hear of the raising of fingerlings or frys that are transplanted in our lakes and streams but where does the rest of the money go to? A controlled burn that get out of control for trying to kill off obnoxious weeds in our public hunting grounds for migratory birds for which the birds probably brought these in too. The states need to be held accountable for what our fees are actually doing. When you try to talk to a conservation officer, you don't even get a straight answer anymore. The old saying goes; if you can't dazzle them with brilliance you baffle them with bull****. Well, take it for whatever its worth. skookum9 is also right about more poachers.

SuperD
04-04-2010, 09:15 AM
You guys are getting a little cynical and paranoid. The amount of money it costs to have full time positions at all the lakes and all the ramps will far exceed the amount they collect in this minimal fee. The government clearly isn't asking for us to fully fund the inspection and preventative process but merely contribute to it. As an out of stater I'm a little miffed that my fee is higher, why isn't a boat a boat?

SmokeOnTheWater
04-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey Agitator, have you had any issues with the lysol damaging any of your bilge pumps, livewells, wiring, etc? If you're not cleaning these areas the same way, you're just clean and smelling nice on the outside. What is your solution/dilution ratio?

Propnut69
04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Personally.I think that the WGF is a little late in responding to this problem. but better to start now,then waiting til we have a full blown invasion of ais. Some very good points have been brought to the surface. As b-duck mentioned .this program for the most part will be based on the "honor system" for inspections. The ethical fishermen will follow the rules ,and buy the sticker. But the program as it is now.leaves a lot of unmanned boat ramps. This is why the sticker program makes sense to me.When someone purchases the sticker ,now they will have at least know that there is a ais program in play at the gorge. Does Utah have a ais program for the water in Utah on the gorge?

After reading the press release from the WFG web site,I didn't see anything about what type of fine would be issued for non-compliance. Also if a person puts in at a Utah ramp on the gorge,would they still have to purchase a sticker,as long as they stay in Utah waters?

The way I read it,the WFG only has jurisdiction in Wyoming waters ,to check for anyone not having the stickers? If that was to be true ,the only Wyo ramps I see affected would be Buckboard, firehole,and maybe Anvil Draw. Squaw Hollow might have inspections if they were to be enough volunteers to help.
Will this cause a decline in the amount of people using the gorge,when does "enough become to much". In the short term I don't think we will see any decrease of use ,due to a ais program. The people that are spending big bucks to come to the gorge,won't let a 30.00 dollars sticker stop them. In the long term ,who knows, after all it is a govt program,so time will tell.

The press release also said that there would be public meetings about this ,to help educate the public. I encourage all you to attend a meeting if possible.

Kokaholic
04-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Super D,

they charge more for noneresidents just like licenses and anything else for non residents in any state. At least we can go on line and have it all done prior to our arrival.

skookum9
04-05-2010, 01:07 AM
It is my belief that they charge more anytime they think they can get away with it. It's an incremental system and it generally works. The problem that they are up against right now is that they are doing this while there is a significant slump in the economy. People will continue to pay whatever because it is easier and less painful than getting caught not paying, but when that pressure reverses then the people will stop paying.

One idea that my father suggested, and keep in mind that our boats are not excessively large, is to use one of those steam de-wrinklers that they sell on television. It's small and lightweight, you just need a place to power it up and then you can wash your boat hull. I'm not sure how the fees that we are paying is going to stop these invasives from spreading, but the steps that are being taken may slow them down a little. I think that we would be best off if science was to find a way to kill them off with some specific "disease" that would affect only the species desired for removal. It could be a genetic disease that would carry from one species to another in their reproduction. Or it could be something that was genetically engineered to attack only that specific dna. I'm no scientist but I'm sure this sort of thing could be done, and probably a lot more efficiently than hoping people will wash their boats and that the wild ducks and geese will learn to take a hot steam bath before leaving each new rest stop.

agitator
04-05-2010, 07:31 AM
I have had No problems with the Lysol damaging anything as far as bilge pumps or wiring . Just make sure you rinse it very well and damn dont get in a cut on your finger . I use a mixtue of about 1/2 of bottle to 1 gallon of hot water somtimes I will use it straight up on the sponge . Im trying to come up with some kind of valve to use it in the cooling system . Thats another area that could be a problem.

SmokeOnTheWater
04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey Agitator, might try rigging an in-line syphon similar to a Miracle Grow garden nozle then connect it directly to the motor flusher???????

Kokaholic
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I agree with he fact that throwing money at it isnt the answer. I do agree that it takes all of us being RESPONSIBLE adults and sportsman and doing our part to insure that our boats are being taken care of and not to carry this litttle Bugger into our lakes around here.

Money is needed to fund the education part of this whole thing. I personally think 10 to 15 bucks would be more realistic. However, I will pay it and not worry about it and just go have fun. If we sit and worry about it. thats not solving it. Lets just do our part to insure that our boats are cleaned and not a carrrier.

MMDON
04-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Migratory Birds, Out Board Cooling Systems, Jet Pumps, Bilge Pump Lines, Wash Down Lines, Wake Board Water Ballast Tanks, Trailer Frame Openings . . . the list of uninspectable and uncleanable parts and methods of transportation are endless. This is a tax and a revenue enhancer for the general fund of most states. Still, where we aren't charged per launch like Cal we still have it pretty cheap. 101eatdrink101

Bduck
04-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Migratory Birds, Out Board Cooling Systems, Jet Pumps, Bilge Pump Lines, Wash Down Lines, Wake Board Water Ballast Tanks, Trailer Frame Openings . . . the list of uninspectable and uncleanable parts and methods of transportation are endless. This is a tax and a revenue enhancer for the general fund of most states. Still, where we aren't charged per launch like Cal we still have it pretty cheap. 101eatdrink101

Your right MMM. But just give it time. I've got a feeling this is only the beginning. The tax and revenue enhancer will be enhanced more. A lot of state parks here in Utah have entrance gates with fees posted on a board for the type of activity you want to 'pay to play'. Watch for these fees to go up or if you have a boat, you'll pay a higher fee. Eventually everyone will get a piece of the action. Might even see fences go up around some lakes to prevent public access for bank fishing except thru a fee gate. So far, all we have is a questionaire but it won't take Utah very long to realize the potential of revenue generation. The domino effect is in place.

Propnut69
04-11-2010, 07:34 PM
This is a tax and a revenue enhancer for the general fund of most states.

The monies generated from sale of the sticker,will NOT go back into the general fund for the state of Wyo. Our state Constitution does not allow funding for the WFG from the general fund. Our WFG dept is a stand alone dept,one of just a few states that fund their wildlife this way.

skookum9
04-12-2010, 07:31 AM
The comment that was made about how much cheaper we have it than California does, I think should be changed to say how much more expensive Cali has it than the rest of us. It's not cheap here by any means. It's just that it's rediculously expensive in California. Our governments have been allowed to increase prices at will without any accountability and the results are insane costs for us to enjoy recreation. No matter how bad the general economy is or how much the people are suffering right now, they go ahead and jack up the prices on existing stuff and then add a whole bunch of new stuff on us as well. They are pushing the limits right now on just how far they can go. I really do hope that the American public "socks it to them" for what they are doing. I just read about the fact that the house and senate just voted themselves a nice little pay raise while at the same time saying that there should be no cost of living increase for the senior citizens and that there just isn't enough revenue right now so taxes are going to have to increase. We'll see just how much longer the people will put up with all of this before someone starts learning what a "necktie party" is all about.

Bduck
04-12-2010, 10:45 AM
The monies generated from sale of the sticker,will NOT go back into the general fund for the state of Wyo. Our state Constitution does not allow funding for the WFG from the general fund. Our WFG dept is a stand alone dept,one of just a few states that fund their wildlife this way.

Tim, I admire the way Wyoming has has handled their fish & game. Sometimes its hard to get an out of state draw for hunting. They manage their game very well. I wish Utah would follow these good examples that Wyoming practices. Its going to be interesting to see how Utah intermingles with Wyoming when it comes to a fine fishery as the Gorge. skookum9, your right on with economic times. We put these politians in office and therefore they think they deserve a pay increase for the hard decision they had to make by not giving our seniors any cost of living adjustments. Oh yes, their pay increase is the higher fees we are 'paying to play'. Its gotta come from somewhere. Mismanagement of funds is part of the reason why states are broke or going broke.