PDA

View Full Version : Intro

salmonster
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I am also primarily a Sallmon and Steelhead fisherman. When the springers get here I can't hardly think straight enough to work. My experience with kokanee had alway been at a reservoir near here(Anderson Ranch) where you could catch a lot a lot of fish but they were all small (seems like 10 inches or so).

Last year one of my salmon fishing buddies called "come up to Lucky peak and catch some kokanee". Lucky Peak is resevoir close to Boise. I declined until he said they were around 17 inches. I finally went with him, then ate some of them. You can probably figure out the rest. My wife no longer bothers me about never using "all those downriggers you just had to have"

Through watching you tube videos on kokanee, reading from posts like these, and reading STS magazine, we have developed a few wrinkles that seem to work at Lucky Peak. I can't wait to try Flaming Gorge or Wallowa.

We will fish Lucky Peak pretty hard until May 15th or so when the springers start to arrive in Idaho. With the cold early season water, the meat on the Lucky Peak koks is firm and is some of the best eating fish I have ever had. Idaho Fish and Game controls (to a great extent) the spawning and puts 200,000 kokanee in Lucky Peak each year (at least for the last 10 or so years) and that seems to keep the size up.

We have a group of 5 or 6 jetboats that fish on Wednesday evenings and call it "Men's League".This week it looks like snow on Wednesday night. We have been pretty hit amd miss until the last 10 days or so when it seems to have really picked up. The water is still only in the low 40's.

Anyway, looking forward reading more from you guys.

MackPrince
03-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Welcome. Nice screenname! :)

SmokeOnTheWater
03-29-2010, 09:46 PM
101welcomw You'll find everything you need right here!

Petty4life
03-29-2010, 11:47 PM
101welcomw101welcomw

Bduck
03-30-2010, 11:51 AM
101welcomw Welcome salmonster 101welcomw