PDA

View Full Version : American Lake

eenakoK
03-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I talked to a few guys down at Sportco and they said that the fishing is starting to get good at American. I was told during that conversation that the fish are big this year. I am not going to be able to get out there for a couple more weeks, but I am getting excited to get out there.

While I was there, I picked up two of those JJ rods and those are going to be a ton of fun to catch fish with. It is fun, for now, everytime I buy some gear, I buy three of everything. I have to outfit myself and my two boys. They are getting just as excited as I am. Oh to be 5 and 7 again!

Have a great day! If anyone fishes American let me know. It is nice only living 10 minutes away.

MackPrince
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you've got the fishin fever too.

Good luck if you make it to the lake. You'll love the JJ rods!

eenakoK
03-29-2010, 01:50 PM
The fever has been a lot worse this year. Everytime I work on my boat it makes me want to get out there. My time will come.thumbsup

SmokeOnTheWater
03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
AHHH the memories. My first ever exposure to kokanee fishing was was on American Lake. It was 1980, newly married, recently discharged from the USAF, living in a 4-plex appartment in Steilacoom. Next door was a divorced, retired Army dude that invited me along. I didn't even know what a kokanee salmon was or that they even existed. My only experience to that date was Puget Sound Silvers and Blackmouth and an occasional trip South to the Cowlitz River or North to the Green above Auburn for steelhead. I would love to do it all over again, NO REGRETS!

Don't you dare waste time getting those youngens "hooked". They grow up all too fast! Five & Seven you say, PERFECT! 101chromefish101

skookum9
03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Got my grandaughter started good and early. At 14 months she was hooking and landing, (with significant help), rainbow trout up to 26 inches long. Now, at a little over two, every time she sees water she screams "FEEEESH!!!!!" I think I started her so early that I've created a monster. And I'm loving it.

eenakoK
03-29-2010, 10:55 PM
My kids have been exposed to some great fishing. I started taking my oldest when he was 3 to our annual Canada fishing trip. We go up to Kamloops and have a blast. Here in Wa we had a great Sockeye season a few years back. That is always non stop action. Because of the great fishery they have been exposed to, they always remind me that their first fish is larger than mine.

American Lake is only 10 minutes away and this is where I got my start in Kokanee fishing two years ago. I am looking forward to learning it and exploring it with my kids. I will be sure to post our reports as we go about it. In all reality it is about getting the kids out and having fun.

kokanee_slayer
04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
I live in Puyallup and fish American quite a bit and have caught some nice size Koks on the North side of Silcox. I may try my luck again this coming weekend.

Flyguy55
04-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Hearing reports about American Lake brings back pleasant memories . In the early 50s I fished many summer days there. For the 3 yrs before I could drive my dad would drop off my friend and I about sun up before he went to work , and pick us up at dusk. My uncle sold me a 2 1/2 hp Johnson and we fished all day with a boat we rented from Bills Boathouse .
We caught " silvers " rock bass , and yellow perch .
Great Times . I also learned to fly in a J 3 Cub on floats at Dick Whites Seaplane Base.
A couple yrs ago I drove out and visited Bills Boat House. Its changed a little . Next time I'm in the area I'll have to try fishing there again.
We used to still fish with perry winkles and salmon eggs between the Island and the boat house . Is that still good ? people must be jigging there now .

eenakoK
04-04-2010, 07:45 PM
I live in Puyallup and fish American quite a bit and have caught some nice size Koks on the North side of Silcox. I may try my luck again this coming weekend.

Since it is so close to my house I plan to hit it on ever Saturday morning. That is unless there is somewhere that appeals to me more that week. If you are there any Saturday, look for me in a red Starcraft boat come by and say hello.

kokanee_slayer
04-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Since it is so close to my house I plan to hit it on ever Saturday morning. That is unless there is somewhere that appeals to me more that week. If you are there any Saturday, look for me in a red Starcraft boat come by and say hello.

Sure will; likewise if you happen to see me stop by. Look for me in a red 12ft Lund with a 15hp Merc. I usually launch at Russell Landing about daybreak and fish until about noon. I put a couple nice Koks in the boat at Alder a couple weeks ago.

eenakoK
04-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Sure will; likewise if you happen to see me stop by. Look for me in a red 12ft Lund with a 15hp Merc. I usually launch at Russell Landing about daybreak and fish until about noon. I put a couple nice Koks in the boat at Alder a couple weeks ago.

Sounds good. I have heard some good things about American lately. I have heard they are big this year!

Kokanee Kid
04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
I saw kokanee slayer on american today thumbsup

Fishing was great, catching sucked 101thumbsdown101

kokanee_slayer
04-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Kokanee Kid.. Nice seeing you out on the lake and thanks for stopping by to say hi!!!! thumbsup

All I can say is Ditto on your fishing report. I threw everything at them but the kitchen sink but no takers.

eenakoK
04-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Glad the two of you were able to say hello! Too bad the catching wasn't too hot. I am thinking it was the crappy weather from the day before that shut it down.